This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meals & Menus

Instead of breaking this down by the month as we have for years, I am just posting one topic that will include the entire rest of the year. None, if few, are using this posting, so I see no reason to keep changing it every month.

If anyone wants to change this, please do. It is your forum.

That's fine with me. Sorry I haven't been posting, but I haven't been cooking, either.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Great idea Elaine...

Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

Yesterday E bought fried chicken & potato salad. But I felt up to hobbling around the kitchen and dishing it up. It sure hit the spot.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Today I cooked! 😄
          I cooked a pork roast in lipton's dry onion soup, and an ounce of Grand Marnier, and shredded it. Added about a pint of Orange Marmalade and a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and let it simmer this afternoon.
          So we had shredded pork sandwiches on buns. I nuked some tater tots. A bit of catsup and a few bread abs butter pickles on the side. E gave me an ounce of a new beer he bought, which goes really nice with picnic food, it turns out. It really tasted good, even to me.

Probably we will have ice cream after a bit.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Paula A
            Paula A commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, thanks for another way to do mine. I had bought some Grand Marnier for an overnight French toast and haven't used it for anything else.

E is happy that I've picked up a bunch of the cooking again. He tries hard to please my tastes, but I have fickle taste buds. I don't want the same things all the time. But I make simple meals these days. It's hard to cook for just 2.

Yesterday, with leftover mac & cheese and tomato basil soup, I made what could be called Macaroni Rarebit. Rarebit is about any dish that combines tomato soup/sauce and cheese.
          Tonight I'm thinking Tuna Patties and veggies, with some leftover bow tie pasta.
          Very little goes to waste here.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Today is soup and sandwich night for dinner. No big fussing. Just not in the mood for a big dinner tonight. E is okay with that.
            Maybe a bigger bowl for soup tonight....I'll add something from leftovers to it, so hubby won't feel so much like snacking tonight. 😉
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This week I have been taking it easy. Made Scotch broth from lamb shank bones and yesterday I made Pinto beans with Ham shank. Wanted corn bread with the beans but wasn't sure how my mouth would react to those little corn granules so left it out.

Comment

• Paula A
                Paula A commented
                Editing a comment
                I love Scotch broth. I used to see it in the soup aisle, but not even sure if Campbell's makes it. I will look up a recipe.
                I wish you and I lived closer, Barb. You are such a great cook!

Tonight we will have grilled chicken salad for dinner. I have the red and green lettuce, red onion, black olives, cheese, baby carrots and peas. I will grill the onion before tossing that in. I love salads and it's healthy for DH since he is diabetic. He is doing great on his blood sugar control. Daily walks help. Chocolate for dessert. Shhhhhhh! Just a tiny piece.
              "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Today's menu will consist of crock pot chicken thighs in homemade teriyaki sauce and mixed oriental vegetables over rice. Pretty easy meal to fix and we really do enjoy it.

Comment

Today I was going to cook some salmon, but ended up over in Ephraim right by the Papa Murphy's, so I bought a Chicago Stuffed Pizza for dinner. We haven't had Papa Murphy's pizza in what seems like years.. but it was probably only 4-5 months. Salmon will wait until tomorrow.

Comment

Not much going on in this thread, is there??

Tonight I am trying a brand new recipe... It's out of the Taste of Home "Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2010" book. Shrimp Stuffed Chicken Breast. It's basically a flattened chicken breast half stuffed of cooked shrimp, green onions, mayo, tarragon, lemon juice, and a touch of liquid smoke. Then grilled (may have to just brown it and put it in the oven to finish cooking if the BBQ grill is buried in snow) If it's any good, I'll share the recipe.

Comment

Yesterday we had pizza. The Pizza Hut here used to be the best ever. However, lately there are many changers in workers, menu ingredients, etc..... Let's just say we are no longer strongly inclined toward pizza any more.

For convenience sake, we keep Lean Cuisine Steamers on hand.....they are pretty good for frozen dinners.
                      This way, E can still do some or most of the cooking. 😈
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I know what you mean about changes in pizza places, Jo. We have a fairly decent pizza place here in town (one of the handful of eateries), but it's not what we're used to. So, last time we were in Ephraim, we picked up a Papa Murphy's. We used to get them all the time in Las Vegas. Well... it just wasn't the same, even though they supposedly use the same recipes, etc. Our store had a great sale on Marie Callender's entrees a week or so ago (97 cents each), and I stocked up... that's what Ralph and I have for lunch quite often. I've never tried Lean Cuisine... maybe I'll pick some up next trip to the store.

Yesterday I put a pork butt in my crock pot. We had pulled pork tacos for dinner. I have quesadillas planned for today, but I may have to make a last minute change because the tacos were not were not in my original menu plan. I just grabbed the roast out of the freezer on a whim because it sounded good.

I actually print out a blank calendar page monthly and write in my menu plan for a week or so in advance and add any needed in the menu hangs on my fridge so the guys know what's for dinner, which is really nice because aside from a really BAD Chinese restaurant, everything here in Gunnison is fast food. We have 2 hamburger-type places, a Subway, a pizza place, a Chinese restaurant and 2 corner taco trucks (that close down for the winter). The next nearest place to eat is Salina and they have a few decent restaurants... but we can't drive 17 miles over there every day to eat

Comment

Tonight I made meatloaf patties
                          [1/2 lb each ground beef and ground pork, 1/2 onion, 1/4 green bell pepper, 3 eggs, 1/2 sleeve crushed saltines, pepper to taste]

It is Soooooo Goooood!
                          Last edited by JoGee; 09-26-2017, 05:37 PM.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                          X