Waikiki Meatballs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waikiki Meatballs

Some of you will remember our dear Esther. She posted this recipe WAY back and I saved it in my recipe files. Yesterday I was pondering what to do with a package of ground chuck I had thawed and ran across it. So I made it and it was wonderful! Next time I will double the sauce as there wasn't enough to go over the rice to suit my taste. Chris loved them and went back for seconds. I brought leftovers for lunch today.

Waikiki Meatballs
    1-1/2 lbs. ground beef
    2/3 cup cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup minced onion
    1 egg
    1-1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    1/2 cup milk

Sauce:
    3 Tblsp. cornstarch
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 (20 oz. can) pineapple chunks, drained, reserve syrup
    2/3 cup vinegar
    3 Tblsp. soy sauce
    1 chopped green pepper

Mix beef, crumbs, onion, egg, salt, ginger and milk. Shape mixture into balls. Brown in a skillet in oil. (I bake mine in a 350° F. oven for 20 minutes). Remove from pan and keep warm.

Mix cornstarch and sugar; Stir in reserved syrup, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth. Pour into pan and heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Add meatballs, pineapple tidbits and green pepper heat through.

The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Oh, thanks! We love meatballs with great sauce over sticky rice!
    And I am tired of the jelly/ barbecue sauce one I usually use.
    Thanks, Pat.

Comment

Well, I do not care for the meatball part, but I kept this recipe as well and use this sauce for anything sweet and sour. We love it.

Comment

Will give it a try. The sauce will be used for other things also...yes I do remember Esther and so many others no longer here...wish some would come back and tell us the what's and why's of why they no longer come here. If I offended or hurt anyone I would like to know and rectify the situation.
        Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

Sounds yummy!. Should copy this and give it to our chef. His meatballs are terrible! I do miss Esther. And as Boffler says a lot are missing that used to come here. Some never will come back, unfortunately, but we still remember them..

Comment

Working...
          X