Clear All

• BarbCA Pound Cake

Barbca (3-13-13 original date)

ONE STEP POUND CAKE

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, spooned into cup
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon lemon or orange peel (I used orange but next time I will add more.)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup softened butter or margarine
    1 cup dairy soured cream
    3 eggs.

Preheat oven to 325º. Grease and flour Bundt pan. (I used bakers spray.)
    In large bowl combine all ingredients;blend at low speed 1 minute. Beat three minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
    Bake 60 to 65 minutes. (I found 60 to be plenty in my oven.) Cool upright in pan for 45 minutes; turn on to serving plate. Cool completely.

It called for a powdered sugar Glaze of 2 cups powdered sugar and one or two Tablespoons lemon juice but I used plain water and a teeny pinch of salt as we wee going to eat it with Vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.

I think it would be good with almost any flavoring.

Maye tweaks... I use 1/2 butter/ 1/2 a good margerine.
    also use at least a tablespoon of orange peel... I tried adding orange flavoring .. but extra peel is better. by third day if there is any left.. has a nice orangy taste ...I did not icing.... moist, sweet cake.. would be great with icecream ...
    Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Thanks for posting this.
    Is there a good substitute for sour cream?.....as I can no longer have cow-dairy foods. So far I haven't found a substitute..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

I FOUND SUBSTITUTES I CAN USE!!!!! 😄

Cashew Sour Cream
      Ingredients:

1 cup raw cashew nuts
      1 tbsp. lemon juice
      1/2 tsp. apple cider
      Directions:
      The cashew nuts must be raw, not salted or roasted. Soak the cashew nuts overnight before use. Place nuts in a food processor and add the salt, vinegar, water and lemon juice. Puree the ingredients until creamy and smooth or to your desired consistency.

Simple Sour Cream
      Ingredients:

1 tsp. vinegar
      2/3 cup milk powder
      3/4 cup water
      Directions:
      Place all ingredients in a mixer and blend to your desired consistency. This produces one cup of sour cream.

Also saw one calling for skim milk & butter.....wondering if almond milk and margarine would work?
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

this is soo wrong..But i will do it..I love cake.. thank you 10417586_10152573873335847_48990577539221801_n.jpg

Comment

Cute graphic!
          Thank you for the recipe!

Comment

JoG - can you have yogurt? Greek yogurt works very well as a substitute for sour cream.
            The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

If I can find one not made from cows milk, I'd use it. I haven't found an alternative yet.
              My doc said "absolutely NO cow dairy products" in my diet. I have found no stores here yet that sell any.

But thanks, Pat.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you Paula..lol..

Comment

Jo, a good health food store might have real agreed yogurt, made from goat milk....

Comment

Thanks, Paula. That was my next stop when we get home.
                    The Safeway up here has veggie based cheeses and stuff, along with tofu and such. We gott a couple of the cheeses today, which are earmarked by SIL for the recipes he's cooking this week.
                    When we get back, I'll double check our grocery stores, and also check the 3 different health food stores we have in Tucson.
                    Veggie based, sheep or goat based, will be good.
                    DD & her hubby are working to lose weight, and are incorporating some of the stuff I'm doing for overall health problems. It's working.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Here's another from DD Marlee:

Dairy-Free Sour Cream

Prep Time: 5 minutes
                      Servings: 8

Ingredients

1 can Coconut Milk
                      2 Tbsp. Coconut Vinegar or White Vinegar
                      Directions

Refrigerate full can of coconut milk for an hour or two (be careful not to shake).
                      Open can and scoop out the hardened coconut cream on the top (about a 1/2 cup).
                      With a spoon, mix well, coconut cream and vinegar.
                      Return to refrigerator for an hour.
                      Stir before serving.
                      Enjoy!
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Maye for sharing the recipe, will have to give it a try.
                        Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

Working...
                        X