• Show
Clear All

• 9 Ingredients to Avoid in Processed Foods

Thanks, JoG, for this information ~~~~~

Thanks for posting it, Elaine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Elaine....what about Nitrates...did not see that on the list....it is something my daughter Monica always makes sure is not included in the bacon she buys. Guess I am really far behind on that sort of thing.....but then I don't eat bacon...in fact not too many meats I like anymore......except a lamb chop now and then. Don't even like chicken. Do like most fish though...

Now only buy the natural sweeteners Truvia and Stevia.... no more artificial sweeteners in my house.

Comment

Good catch, Schmitty. They put so much stuff in processed foods today, I can't keep up. I'll see if I can find nitrates at that site, or another like it.
        Because of all the additives, my doc said to simply avoid eating all sausages, lunch meats, hot dogs, and "processed foods".
        Pickled foods, I haven't really checked on those, but I do get a reaction from them.

Fish is probably the best source of proteins. Good for you! I'm picky about fish. Tuna, I prefer canned to fresh, but I do like some other types of fish...unfortunately, salmon isn't among my favorites. Cod, tilapia, most whitefish, are good.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Here is Nitrate info:

Sodium nitrate (or sodium nitrite) is used as a preservative, coloring and flavoring in bacon, ham, hot dogs, luncheon meats, corned beef, smoked fish and other processed meats. This ingredient, which sounds harmless, is actually highly carcinogenic once it enters the human digestive system. There, it forms a variety of nitrosamine compounds that enter the bloodstream and wreak havoc with a number of internal organs: the liver and pancreas in particular. Sodium nitrite is widely regarded as a toxic ingredient, and the USDA actually tried to ban this additive in the 1970's but was vetoed by food manufacturers who complained they had no alternative for preserving packaged meat products. Why does the industry still use it? Simple: this chemical just happens to turn meats bright red. It's actually a color fixer, and it makes old, dead meats appear fresh and vibrant.
          Nitrates and nitrites can affect the way your body uses sugar and may increase the risk of diabetes and colorectal cancer.

Found in: hotdogs, bacon, ham, luncheon meat, cured meats, corned beef, smoked fish or any other type of processed meat.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Wow....it is in many food items...lucky for me have never liked bacon....ham, hot dogs, corned beef or smoked fish or meats. Do buy some thin sliced white turkey on occasion...will have to check out the ingredients in that.

Comment

I have said for years that things we are told aren't good for us to eat like red meat, pork ect the problem isn't the actual food it's all the crap they add to it.

Comment

Working...
              X