August Library Trips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August Library Trips

August is here already! What are you reading? Any new to you authors? Are you enjoying a series of books?

I started the month with a Kindle book by Renee Pawlish. This Doesn't Happen in the Movies. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

So what's on your bookshelf?

I just finished Camino Island, by John Grisham. It was ok. Not a super page turner like his other books have been for me.
    I also started The Frozen Hours about the Korean War.
    Will check out your book; it has such a catchy title!

Comment

Paula, I had loaded 3 of the Pawlish books on my Kindle and decided to try one to see if I liked it. It was entertaining and better than I anticipated. I liked her characters.

I just finished All Dressed in White by Mary Higgins Clark & Alafair Burke. Another easy, enjoyable book.

Comment

I am also reading The Orchardist , by Amanda Coplin, but it is slow moving..
        I read a little at a time.

Comment

I'm not familiar with The Orchardist. Is it getting better?

Comment

• Paula A
            Paula A commented
            Editing a comment
            It is ok. It is historical fiction with very little conversation and probably more of a character study about how people relate to their problems. Can I just say it makes me think of books Oprah recommends...some I have liked but I am still reading.
            I also started Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker.
            Historical fiction with lots of conversation, but not deep. Nothing is grabbing my attention!

Author is L. Chiaverini
          First name is Lauren or Laura...

Comment

"An existential sense of meaninglessness."
            That is how the Washington Post review described the book. They loved it and gave it high praise for a debut novel. They compared the character's thoughts and despair to Wuthering Heights.
            So, I have just given myself permission to close the book. I read enough of this type of literature in college and it just isn't my personality type nor do I like exploring it.
            Sorry if I steered anyone toward it..,who knows? There are obviously a lot of people reading it!

Comment

I know what you mean about just not getting into a certain book. Sometimes they just do not appeal.
              I had a stack of 'have to read books' in college that were drudgery to get through ... makes me glad to be out of school!

I've also read a book once, enjoyed it but when I started to read it again, did not like it! I think sometimes our interests change with what's going on in our lives.

Comment

Adding to the list for August -

Janet Dawson - A Killing at the Track. I enjoy her books. She has good characters and plots.

On the Kindle, I've read several light, entertaining books -

Lindsey Cole - Strawburied in Chocolate and Gunpowder Chowder.

Madison Johns - Hawaiian Hangover

Lucy Quinn - New Corpse in Town

Comment

Another Kindle quick read - Frosty Fiasco by Constance Baker

Comment

Those titles alone are awesome! I just did a photo of them so I can add them to my lists.
                    The horrible air quality we have right now from the forest fires is giving me a slight headache and just looking at a few pages is making me dizzy. I need to fgiure out some audio books...
                    I know it is September, but just dealing with books I got in August, anyway.

Comment

I have a lot happening and need the light, easy reading of cozy mysteries right now. And I agree, the titles are great!

Comment

Working...
                      X