August Authors and their books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August Authors and their books

What's everyone reading during these hot August days?

I just started one on my Kindle but can't even remember the title! It is a cozy mystery, good characters and just really entertaining.

Can't wait to hear what the title is!

Comment

It was A Ghost for Christmas by J.D. Winter. A very light, entertaining, cozy book. (free on Kindle)

Now I've started another freebie, Dying to Read by Lorena McCourtney.

Comment

And, while ordering more Maisie Dobbs for my mother, ( she is almost finished with the 6th book) I read about another series: the Maggie Hope mystery series, by Susan MacNeal. Set in London during WWII, it has names and places and espionage woven around an American heroine with dual citizenship. Anyway, I got the first two on my Kindle app on the iPad. Becky is reading them on her Kindle.
        I found three Maisie books on eBay, so I won't have to order from Amazon.

Comment

I haven't read anything by either of those authors. So many authors and books... so little time!

Comment

I've read some good and one I really didn't like.

The not so good - The Hummingbird Wizard by Meredith Blevins. I did not bother finishing it.

The good - The first two were new authors for me.

Christiane Heggan - Where Truth Lies. Fast read, good characters. It was a little predictable but fun read.

Redbud, A Dog Lady Mystery - by Ellen Carlsen - Good characters and fun read, plus it had rescued dogs!

Killer Cannoli by Carole Fowles - Cute cozy type mystery. Enjoyable read.

Comment

I just finished The Absence of Nectar by Kathy Hepinstall. The best way I can describe this book is "dark".
              The main characters are children although there are also adults as main characters too.
              I would recommend it only if you want something very suspenseful and are not upset by children being involved.
              Although it is well written, I won't be reading any more of her books. Just not into such a gruesome genre.

Comment

• Paula A
                Paula A commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't read any of The Hunger Games because I didn't like the kids having to fight and kill each other.
                So, thanks for the review.

popping in for a few minutes..

Have read all of the Maisie stories... like her.

have read about 8 of McCourtney books and have marked I read Dying to read in Aug. 2013

Winter is a new name.. will look it up. on Google..
              Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

I just read a light, enjoyable cozy - Death on the Range by Nikki Haverstock. Quick read, good characters. I think it is part of a series.

Paula, I have avoided The Hunger Games for the same reason. This one was recommended and it was a good book as far as writing. The plot grabbed me and I had to see what happened but it was one of those I wanted to read it fast to get done with it. And no more of her books for me.

Comment

Finished another good cozy, this one by Deborah Garner - Cranberry Bluff.

Comment

popped in again,,, thanks for keeping this going ... I read book after book,,, must average 10 books a month.. but always looking for new authors. and good writers.. I am not a Tv watcher.. I have been able to find 90% of books now as ebooks.. but check out the library.. for some favorites.. which I can get quicker ..

Right now, I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of the new Louise Penny book.. i Preordered it.. she is the only author I buy brand new..from Barnes and Noble... I get gift cards at Christmas for B N. and use it for her book.. I do buy .secondhand book from places like Better world book or Alibris ..,or Abe books.

Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Finished another free cozy on the Kindle - Motherhood is Murder by Diana Orgain. Another good one, light and entertaining but decent plot and enjoyable characters.

Maye, I like reading on the Kindle a lot. And there are so many free books available as well as library books to 'borrow' for it. I still have piles of paperbacks I need to read so I try to do some of each.

Comment

Working...
                      X