September, ALREADY?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September, ALREADY?

BIG SIGH,,, September is here ... Book reading continues regardless of seasons....
    one big thing that winter has over summer.. is being confined to house, ( or I am , hate cold days, coats, boots etc etc).
    and I can read without watching the clock....
    The Nook reader has been a great gasoline saver .. but I still like to check out the library shelves and read real books... I have been buying some books....
    and number 1 on that list is , of course

LOUISE PENNY NEWEST ... THE NATURE OF THE BEAST... I had pre-ordered from Barnes and noble.. and it is here .
    ...that's the icing on my cake..
    Also bought Carola Dunn book.. The Heirs of the Body.... by ordering at the same time as Ms Penny book. postage was free. so I got the Dunn book really reasonable.

I did buy some second hand copies of a few favorite authors.. they are are on the shelf for winter reading ..

Right now I am wading through Bill Bryson's ..... A Short History of Nearly Everything ... 555 pages.. it is on the Nook... can renew if no one is waiting for it...... Granddaughter wanted to see what I was talking about.. ,,, she overheard conversation about the universe. ... so I ordered her a paperbook , 2nd hand . copy... will be here in a few days.. ... difficult reading , understanding but MR. Bryson makes it fun.. and sure has made me think... this creation of God's ( thats my belief).. was it a planned thing , or did he just accidentally sneeze and cause this Big Bang.??...this universe is soooooooooooooooooo big and in the opposite direction sooooooooooooooooooooo small.. amazing.

your turn to bend my ear...
    come set , we can have coffee and discuss...
    Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

I am reading the Poldark Series on my Kindle. They are by Winston Graham. It all takes place in the late 17 hundreds and early 18 hundreds.

I too have The Nature of the Beast on my Kindle but am saving that for special. .

Comment

I'm working on older books again. Some aren't worth mentioning so I won't.
      I did read a good one by Phyllis A Whitney - StarFlight. Good plot and characters.
      Currently reading a Janet Dawson, Where the Bodies are Buried. It is good too. I've read others of hers in this Jeri Howard, PI series. Good characters and doesn't drag at all.

Comment

Labb. new name ....Janet Dawson... on my way to looking up some of her books!

Read about 30 of Phyllis Whitney books back in the 1980 -90s.. but nothing since ....will look up Starflight
        and also look up Winston graham.. I see by my record notebook I have read 2 of his stories. (a long time ago).

thank you for some new leads ...

will have fresh coffee and homemade rolls tomorrow..

Comment

I have finally (essentially) finished reading The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. She brings to life the story of the Masada. It stays true to the story in the Catholic Bible, but in the book you've come to "know" these people through the book's characters. I have several pages yet to read in the concluding short chapter....which I imagine what "could have been" had a handful of people (2 women and a handful of young children) managed an escape in a nearly impossible situation. This brief chapter is entirely in Italics, so not a documented historical fact, but a suggestion that life goes on.
          Well written. A very good read.

I would love some pie or rolls with my tea, Maye. How nice it would be for a treat to pop out of the screen.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Haven't been reading much but daughter just gave me the last of the Harry Potter books (unless I messed up then I've read all but that one). She found a place over the summer that was tables and tables of books, even the hardback ones were .50 cents. Said she ended up spending $50.

Comment

I can do that all too easily. 😱
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

this coming weekend is the big Library Book Sale ... people donate and twice a year they set up big tent in back parking lot
                ..fill the tables with books.. and you buy them by the Bag... they have those groc baggies. $5 for a bag . no matter how many you stuff in it... all the funds go to the "friends of the Library ".. a group who works,for free, to keep the library pretty, and adding new equipment. and books. they have a room set aside inside all year long for books you can buy,, .50cents mostly .
                .....David has a huge bag of Westerns to donate. .. will take them along Friday Morning.. he can go through all the ones there and then they can put his donated ones on table.

thanks for the new authors. I have Read some of Alice Hoffman books but not that one.
                LIbrary only had one Janet Dawson book..ordered it .should be in tomorrow..

if you are coming for pie,I will have Cookie make us one!... yumm.

Comment

I started another Phyllis A Whitney, Daughter of the Stars. It isn't holding my attention like her other book but hopefully it will improve.
                  I read the other day that she lived to be 104!

I try to just get books from the library but I do love book sales like those mentioned, great bargains for everyone. These older books I'm reading came from a thrift store that was closing - 17 cents per book.

Comment

Daughter of the Stars was okay, not the best of hers I have read but not horrible either.
                    Just started Laura Lippman's The Girl in the Green Raincoat. So far, it is a good book.

Comment

I finished the John Grisham young adult book, the latest one in the Theodore Boone series. I took it to Hawaii but didn't read it till I got home. There will definitely be another by the way the last conversation ended!

Comment

read the Janet Dawson book ...the only one our library had.. "Bit Player"... could nothold my interest ....too much description about old movies... the plot kept getting lost.. ...but liked her style of writing .. will see if I can find another example of her work.

and Paula...I really like YA series of Grishams ... will see if I have read the latest one... ah,,, found it at the library and put a hold on it...

Comment

Don't think I've read Bit Player - wouldn't like the old movie descriptions either.
                          Started one book, won't bother mentioning the title or author because it was so bad. The story line didn't make sense, just rambled. New characters would just appear with no explanation as to who they were or how they fit in. I kept going back a few pages to see if I had missed something. I gave up on it - Not worth my time when there are so many good books waiting to be read!
                          Started one by a new to me author. The book is Working Stiff and the author is Annelise Ryan. So far, entertaining and good characters.

Comment

I did finished and returned the John Grisham T. Boone book... definitely for kids. but I liked it... clean and fun.. with Grisham expertise in writing .

have read tons of Phyllis Whitney books in the past.
                            my records don't show that I have ever read any Laura Lippman books...I better try her.

Comment

Working...
                            X