Has Anyone Read....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Read....

Has anyone read The Shopkeepers Daughter by Wanda Brunstetter? She is the author of several Amish based books. I heard someone talking about it and wondered if it was worth reading.

No, but I will look for it. I very much enjoy the Amish books. Amazon has many that I get at Kindle prices, or 99-cents.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

I've put it on hold at our library. I hope it is a good one.

Comment

It was a nice story, predictable but enjoyable. Good characters and well written. There are a couple more books in this series I may check on later.

Comment

its a familiar title labb. think my niece was into the Amish stories... but I haven't ..still need a good murder in my reading
          Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

No murder but a kidnapping. That part of the story was left hanging so I might check the next book. I'm more of murder mystery person too but once in a while, I like something else for a change.

Comment

oops.. don't like kidnapping stories.. especially with children or women..

our community had a 12 yr old girl disappear. she got off the school bus... her stop, alone... and has never been seen or heard from again..
              the country road she was on was only about a mile from the farmhouse i was born in . where my Grandparents own the farm ground for years and years.

from that day forth... school bus stops in our entire community have adults waiting with their kids.. to see off or to pick up ... not a mandatory thing, just what parents do now..... the trust and lost of innocence happened in 1987.. have nightmares what her parents went through and what the young girl probably went through..

Comment

This kidnapping is not one for harm - a couple wanted a baby and the man grabbed the little boy. No harm to the child, raising him as if they adopted him. The story includes the abducting family off and on so the reader knows what is going on with the child. The abducting man even put a notice in the paper to let the family know the little boy was well, cared for, etc. Still not a good thing!

I know what you mean about kids being abducted. Happened around here just a few years ago and never a sight of her since - it is just heartbreaking. Hard to understand how someone can just vanish but it does happen. I can't imagine how parents cope. I would be beyond help if something happened to one of our kids.

Comment

WAS IT good enough to get another of her books to read/

Comment

I probably will get another of her books from the library. It was enjoyable to read.

Comment

I read the book over my birthday weekend. This book did leave me hanging at the end. There was a lot of anguish from different sources throughout the book. Surely, I thought, there must be a sequel to this story. Apparently not.
                      (I ended up waking up at night during dreams of closure. The solution, so near and yet so far! But I'd come up with 3 different endings to it.....any of which would be an acceptable closure. The kidnapper's wife seems to have more personal problems toward the end, and the kidnapper himself was discontent with the situation with her and the child as well. That could open up a whole new can of worms,)

Anyway, the authors next book is The Quilter's Daughter. Reading the overview, there is as much if not more anguish awaiting in there. It could well be an interesting book. On the other hand, what's in this author's head, and why the abundance of anguish in her stories?

I'm not sure that I care to read more of her books. There are other authors writing in that genre...Amish.
                      Everyone has some anguish in their life at some time. But I doubt it's such a truckload so frequently.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

I haven't read any Amish books, but I have one a friend just dropped off. The author is Jodi Picooult. Actually, I just looked and I don't think it is Amish. The title is The Storyteller.

Comment

Paula .. have not read The Storyteller...... but have read 9 of Jodi Picoults books... she is a good writer.. but have at least one full box of tissues nearby

. most of her books have real tear producing scenes... so I read approx one a year ...same with Hannah Kristen ...

will have to check our library and see if they have the Storyteller.... better yet , see if it on Digital for my Nook Reader... Im ready for a good cry...

no she is not Amish..

ps . took quick look and I can get this book as an e.book.... will order it .. says I will be 8th in line but I'm in no hurry..
                          so if you start it ... don't give away the ending ... but you can tell me it you needed tissues..
                          Last edited by Mayebarnes; 06-20-2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I've got a Jodi Picoult book in my stack to be read. Please let us know what you think of it.

Comment

Ok, tissues at the ready!

Comment

Working...
                              X