Now we are in WA.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now we are in WA.

It's our annual visit to our youngest daughter. We had been going in Nov-Dec, but it's uber-cold then. Last years visit was In April I think, but still too old for us.

We got a direct flight this time; the extra cost well worth not having the flight change complications in DFW. We left in early afternoon, and arrived only slightly late at 6p. The pilot said Tucson's heat would cause turbulence at take off, but it lasted most of the flight.
    E managed to embarrass me at the airport, as I told another lady that Seattle would have a surprising 93° yesterday. She thought it would be only in the 80's (that's today's weather here). So E turns around and makes me sound like an idiot, as every weather app seems to be different in reports (to him). [Mr Know-it-all. Later I told him I was humiliated at that, but it started him fuming at me. My stomach and chest were tight after that for quite a while.]
    I read from my Kindle app the entire flight. He made it sound like I was starting a fight at the airport, telling our DD. I cut him off and said I was embarrassed by him, that the lady and I simply commented, no big thing!!! So he fumed a little more, but was much nicer to me the rest of the evening. (Good heavens, this part should be in the steam room!)
    Anyway, though we landed at 6, DD had her daughter and friend in tow. They still had to accompany GD's friend to her gate for an 8p flight, which was delayed. E & I waited at a deli with our luggage tucked between tables. DD finally returned about 9p, and led us out of the airport and took us home with her. We got to her home about 10:30p, so it was midnight by the time we all chatted, we unpacked, and hit the bed.
    I was awake before anyone, 6:30a. Have no idea what today will be like, except probably restful.
    After today, the weather looks like it'll settle in the 70's for the rest of our time here. Not bad. I keep thinking how close to Alaska this is, though.

Basically, an uneventful day here. Had lunch & dinner out, and did a bit of shopping.
    GD connected her computer to the TV an showed us some movies she made. One was a French Class movie with 2 other friends in it. And several Japanese Anamae musical movies, in the Japanese language; she developed the characters the scenes, and the music. She's an amazing girl, with a great quick sense of humor.
    Last edited by JoGee; 07-02-2014, 11:06 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

After driving all day, we finally made it! Road work and then traffic as we approached Portland and the airport...10 mph! 35 miles took 2 hours...but we made it!
    Cute kids waiting and tacos for dinner. And much cooler!

Comment

It looks like this vacation will be restful for us. I'm glad to say that after E's first night of good sleep, he has a much better attitude.
      This time DD didn't make a bunch of plans to take us places, and we are more than okay with that.
      The cool temps here are refreshing, and I can almost ignore the humidity since there's hardly any rain forecasted here during our stay. nothing greater that 10% chance, anyway.

The house next door is vacant, and the yard is overgrown with trees. Oh, a fat field mouse just ran across the top of the fence into the heavy overhang of trees. I love seeing the greenness of all the plant life, the deep red maple trees in contrast. The yards tend to run downhill, which I think would be hard to care for.

I hear someone getting up, so will close for now.

A good day today! Went grocery shopping for tomorrow.
      Later...DD found out we never shopped IKEA, so took us there. We browsed the whole store. Had lunch there, too. So good! We will definitely visit the nearest AZ store after we go home. They have some stuff we can use. Everything there, seems you either love it or hate it - no inbetween!

DD introduced me to her treadmill. I will start using it every day. Today my back and leg are hurting from the extended walking time at IKEA. She asked what I found when I looked up this pain, and I told her it seems to be sciatica. She said I should get checked for a herniated disc. (Just what I need...one more thing wrong!!!!!)
      Last edited by JoGee; 07-03-2014, 10:15 PM.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I don't recall if I've mentioned it, but one thing that draws me to WA is the amazing scenery. First, are the trees and flower....they grow in beautiful abundance out here. It gets more manicured in housing areas. But being so close to the Natural Forest here, there are so many areas where trees grow in thick groves between habituated areas. My DDs yard is full of and abutted by trees of greens of all shades, bright red (maples), and some trees have blooms - an unusual one has white star shaped flowers. Gorgeous. The other thing I like is being surrounded by mountains. I don't know why I like them so much but I do. The roads are lined with all kinds of windflowers. Not just daisies or poppyseed, but Queen Ann's Lace, Foxglove, small wild roses, and wild berry bushes. The waterfalls and rivers are also great additions.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Paula, how is your WA vacation coming along?
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I think it's probably to early in the year but get some of the wild blackberries if you get a chance. They are amazing!

Comment

Oh, good idea, Barb! I'll ask if anyone is up to it.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Stuart's house and yard back up to a protected wetland so it is like a forest right beyond his grass. A huge back yard! We saw all kinds of berries at the farmers market, Marionberries were what I wanted. We also bought Rainier cherries. At home they are around 8.00 lb, but here, only 3.00.
                The trip to Columbia River Gorge on Thursday was so beautiful! Tons of people walking the trail to the bridges that span the waterfall. I walked up to the lower bridge. As we were taking pictures, a lady asked Stuart to take one of her. Then asked Becky and me if we would stand in the picture with her. Of course! I introduced us and she told us her name. We took a few photos and then started back down. I met three Japanese tourists and told them about my family in Japan. As we were walking to the parking lot, I heard Rylie say to Owen, See? Dad said Nana meets people everywhere!
                Our weather has been perfect. Even when these guys say they are hot, Becky and I are enjoying the cooler weather here than what Red Bluff is having.
                We will be leaving in the morning. Next time I come I want to visit an Ikea. I have never been to one, either.
                Sweet peas and lilies grow wild around here. And of course, everything is Green. At home it is brown dried grass on the roadside...

Comment

Paula, it sounds lovely in that area! I'm feeling very relaxed here. I would enjoy a walk in the woods, normally, but bears have entered the neighborhood here, as have a moose or two. There are also wildcats (the big kind) lurking deep in this Forrest, too. I don't want to encounter them.

We will have a days excursion here yet, but I don't know what day. Leavenworth? A touristy area. I often talk to someone wearing a Michigan shirt, or AZ shirt, or anyone else who might not be afraid of strangers. Unless E is telling his jokes, which might be funny, or an uber-corny pun.
                  Also going to a movie that the kids want to see one day (or night). Love these grandkids!

------------------------

Two deer ran across the highway today - the mama and yearling.
                  Found out, too, that the red wolf is no longer endangered and was released into the wilds here.
                  Last edited by JoGee; 07-06-2014, 08:27 PM.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Today the ferret got loose in the house. Thankfully he was in "play mode"....to the extreme. I was doing some laundry, and this furry thing wanted to go up my pant leg, but settled on chewing on my sock while I folded clothes.
                    I'd walk away, he'd give chase, and I tried to keep note of his whereabouts so he wouldn't get behind appliances or furniture.
                    I went to the head of the stairs and he blocked my way so I wouldn't leave. I'd talk to him, and you should have seen his crazy antics. It looked this time like he melted from the top step to the second. Finally I had GD get him so he wouldn't get under foot. I have "flown" down her stairs before. She says, "Mom, please don't play Peter Pan!"
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have friends from WA who always talk about Leavenworth! Enjoy! It sounds like my kind if fun, with "cutsy" shops.

Comment

No sunshine yet this morning. Maybe this afternoon. I hope. One thing I can't get straight in my mind: How can it be 0% chance of rain today, but 100% humidity. Makes for a very sleepy day.

Today we will go out to dinner tonight, as GDs music lesson is quite a distance and would otherwise cause a too-late dinner.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Wednesday the 9th. We went to Leavenworth....a very lovely Bavarian town. It was a full 3-hour drive from their home, but well worth it. First stop was a restaurant for lunch. Yum. The foods and desserts were so good! We managed 2 blocks of gift stores. Temps there got to 97° with 100% humidity. I made it 1 block back before DD worried about my leg. I didn't know I'd started limping, but the muscle was tightening. We sat for a bit in a park, and SIL got the van and picked us up. Then the long drive back. Nobody was hungry of supper, so SIL made WW soup, and put out cheeses sliced sausages, and crackers.

The drive was actually very scenic. Mountains covered in pines. A huge lake, many rivers. (Unlike AZ, they have flowing waters in their rivers. Ours are very dry, and even bushes growing in them.)

Now it's Thursday. We are going home. It's been a wonderful visit. I will be getting E up soon.. An hour to the airport, plus the waiting time, security fun, and all that. We should be on a plane before noon.
                          So far, the last 5 flights in a row, I've gotten the green pass. (E got just one - wonders why, as he is 5 yrs older than me.) . I wonder if my luck will hold?
                          Last edited by JoGee; 07-10-2014, 08:38 AM.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

We got home yesterday. I slept through most of the flight. So uncharacteristic of me. After emptying the suitcases, we went to dinner and ordered a breakfast meal, then went home and vegged out for the evening.
                            We will be plenty busy. I somehow gained 4 lbs, which I need to rid myself of. Next week I have a mammogram and meet my new Hematologist. Today E will be calling for an appt with the new PCP for us. His appointment is due, but likely he won't be able to get one for me til next month. I'm beyond caring about mine; it has already been a long wait.
                            But, were back at Home Sweet Home again.
                            Last edited by JoGee; 07-29-2014, 08:36 AM.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                            X