Do You Remember?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Remember?

Do you remember how old you were when you stopped believing that Santa came down the chimney and your little heart was just shattered about the whole Christmas kismet thing? I was eight and a half. One of my older sisters spoiled it for me. She told me that daddy bought the gifts and put them under the tree. Even though my whole world was turned upside down that Christmas morning, I have to say that was the best Christmas of my young life. I got so many wonderful gifts and not one, but 2 dolls.

I remember all the smells of the hard candy, the oranges, tangerines, and the pine scent of our tree. I can smell the baking of pies and gingerbread coming from the kitchen where mom would be busy for hours in order to have enough food for us to have a true feast.

Christmas will always be my favorite holiday and I cherish my childhood memories of it.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

We little kids had a patrol boy who walked us home from school afternoons. He was usually a 7th or 8th grader and I was young enough to still be in his charge, probably 2nd grade. One Spring afternoon he lined us up and told us there was no Easter Bunny and in that conversation he also revealed there was no tooth fairy or Santa. Several parents complained because they were worried about whatever else he thought we should know about life and he lost his 'job' but the damage was done. To this day I remember that kids name and where he lived! I was the oldest of 4 with my youngest brother 12 years younger so there was always a believer at Christmas and the fun of believing went on even after that patrol boy revealed the truth. I remember when my baby brother came to tell me there was no Santa but don't tell mom and dad because they still believe. You gotta love kids!

Comment

Karlinann what do you mean there isn't a Santa Clause????

Comment

Determined, I know right!
        "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

I discussed it with a cousin, those many years ago. She was younger, but somehow found out without doubt that "Daddy & Mommy were Santa Claus". She then "wisely advised" us that it's wiser to "believe" in Santa as long as you can, because then you get a lot more presents.

I remember the pine trees I loved the smell. But then when I was a teen, I got to put the lights and decorations on the trees.....and I'd itch with a rash from shoulders to waist for the next few days.

I was familiar with the smell and cold of deep-snow days. It was mom's rules that we HAD to play outdoors 15-30 minutes a day, no matter the season, if it wasn't stormy out. Then when we were nearly frost bit, we'd go inside and enjoy the smells and taste of hot chocolate, fresh gingerbread, or whatever mom had baked.

Christmas was the smell of beer and highballs that the adults enjoyed....or Mogan David grape wine, which was okay for us kids to take sips of. I can't remember Christmas without turkey, ham, mock chicken, and far too many side dishes. There were desserts with cinnamon and cloves.
          Last edited by JoGee; 01-03-2015, 06:07 AM.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

I think I was around 7 or 8. I kinda reasoned it out myself. I do remember I was lying on the back seat and my mother and I were going somewhere and I asked her and she told me, but I was old enough to find out. But Christmas to me as a child was always sort of magical time even though we had no snow but sometimes it would rain. We did have a fire place at the time though. I remember at night if we went to a friends house my mother and I would count the Christmas trees in peoples windows. There wasn't too much outside decorating outside like there is nowdays.

Comment

I sill believe in Santa Claus - not the fat, jolly guy who comes down the chimney, has 10 reindeer and eats the cookies and drinks the milk kids leave for him on Christmas. I believe in the Santa who is the embodiment of good and brings joy to people, the Santa who makes kids want to be good and the Santa who makes people believe that miracles can happen. Saint Nicholas is "Santa" and I still believe in the miracles that happen at Christmas.

I love the Santa who kneels at the side of the manger and adores the Christ Child and I pray that we can all have that Santa spirit in us.
              "God loves us so much, He gave us friends!" Amen! http://roundersonline.org/core/images/smilies/smile.png

Comment

Punkin.....what a nice post.....I am with you on your belief.....I feel the same ...all of it is beautiful and more believable to me.

Comment

I could repost this in it's entirety. Nothing has changed. I still believe in Santa Claus!
                  "God loves us so much, He gave us friends!" Amen! http://roundersonline.org/core/images/smilies/smile.png

Comment

Working...
                  X