Room Darkening blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room Darkening blinds

Since DH and I have to go to bed earlier now that our work schedules have changed, the setting sun had presented us with a problem in our master bedroom. The window right over our bed has a canopy over it outside, but it is the metal ones and that west setting sun is intense, so when DH would go to bed the light was still so bright and it made the room hot.

Solution: I went to Lowe's and bought the 2.5 in faux wood blind and installed it yesterday morning. It is wonderful. It blocks out the sun and makes the room so much cooler. I love the way it looks and I'd like to get those same kind of blinds for the rest of the house.

They were on sale too. Bonus!
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

A roll of Reynolds wrap would have been cheaper. Had a friend who worked midnights and also had migraine headaches. She covered her bedroom windows with Reynolds wrap, after spending money on all the special blinds ect that didn't really help. Put the shiny side outwards, blocks all light from coming in and reflects the sun to keep the heat out. Walking into her bedroom was like walking into a cave

Comment

When we lived in Iceland my mom blocked all the bedroom windows with foil covered cardboard. That way we could sleep at night but still have sunshine when we got up.
      In the winter it was crazy! The sun came up at 10:00 am and set (at the mid winter time) at 2:00pm.

Comment

Karlinann, I think I will check out Lowe's. That is the kind of blinds Becky would like for her room.

Comment

I have verticals that block everything pretty darn good in our room, they are not the cloth type but a heavy molded something the other, in fact, all the windows in our home are the same size so I had to special order 15 of them...but it was worth it..glad you found what you needed to be able to sleep.
          Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

When we RVed to Alaska I used heavy padded foil in the windows at night so we could sleep. Worked quite well.

Comment

I have venetian blinds on the two sliding glass doors that go out to my patio. The problem is that they are vertical and not horizontal and I pretty much hate them. The one in the bedroom doesn't come all the way to the end of the door and I feel like people can see in if they really wanted to. Plus, they seem really fragile because they open and close with a plastic rod that you have to twirl .
              "God loves us so much, He gave us friends!" Amen! http://roundersonline.org/core/images/smilies/smile.png

Comment

Working...
              X