Good ol' Summertime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good ol' Summertime

Isn't life sweet? I wanted to share a little story from my childhood with you about summertime.

I must have been 13 years old when we moved to a large farmhouse in the country. We rented back then from various people in the county where my mother grew up. Our neighbors owned a good sized farm and had several milk cows so my mother bought milk from the farm lady. Milk was 50 cents a gallon back then.

Well, it was my turn to go and get the milk and bring it home. The milk came in gallon glass jars and it usually had the sweet cream on top, well some cream, because the farm lady made butter and sold it too. So it was about midday and I pay for the milk and start walking back home with it when I see a green snake across the road. It was not a big snake, and I knew it was not pos
    isonous, but I was just startled and scared of snakes so I dropped the milk. Yep, it busted in the road. After the snake went on it's way I walked on home and mommy told me to go back and buy another gallon. I sure didn't want to, but I did it. I went back, bought another gallon and walked it carefully home.

That was about the same time that I learned to pour milk out of the gallon jars without spilling it. You have to build up your muscles and learn the wrist movement.

BTW, if you've never had fresh cow's milk and homemade fresh butter you haven't lived. Go ahead and treat yourself to some of that butter on a biscuit or some cornbread and have some fresh milk splashed on top of a bowl of strawberries. That is pure heaven.

Happy summer eating.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Mom always had a milk cow, always a Jersey or a Gernsey (they gave milk with lots of cream) and one of the best things is homemade ice cream made with that milk and fresh eggs. Can remember a class-mate telling me that the fresh milk would kill me because it wasn't pasturized.

My Uncle used to take a glass of it wave it in front of out eyes and tell us "now it has been pasturized. LOL

Comment

Working...
    X