Growing a greener world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing a greener world

Today on 'Growing A Greener World' tv show they showed how in Missouri they are recycling plastic pots from the plant nurseries and making plastic boards out of them to use for making raised beds. They are a perfect example of green living and I know it's a long and expensive process, but I'm so glad they found a use for them.

Lowe's has been recycling them in North Augusta for several years, but I think they just sent them back to the local nursery to reuse. That is a good idea too, but just think how many of those things that end up in the trash nationwide. Mountains of plastic pots, tons of plastic.

They grind up the pots, and ship it to a center where they put the plastic grinds thru a machine and it heats it up and forms the plastic planks and then it goes thru a cutting machine and cuts it in lengths just like lumber. Neat! And just think, no termite worries, ever. Good to know!
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

That seems like a good idea to me.
    I have lately found that the pill bottles from our pharmacy can be recycled. These are the orange bottles with #5 on the bottom.

Comment

Barb .. where do you recycle the pill bottles..... I hate tossing out those sturdy little bottles. .
      Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

We recycle everything from #1-17. Recently someone gave E a pen made out of recycled plastic bottles. I'm all for a greener world. I wish construction companies would leave natural land alone. There are so many "run down, empty communities", why can't they just reconstruct those areas before destroying trees and natural land?
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

You know that is a great idea JoGee. I think you should get a petition going and submit that to the mayor or county officials. It would make for a good campaign project. I have seen so many cities with derelict houses and empty lots that could become homes, businesses or market squares where you could have a Farmer's Market, parks or recreation areas and gardens for the general public to enjoy. Wouldn't it be so much better to sit on a bench and have lunch instead of staying inside a building all day long?

The animals are already homeless because they keep building subdivisions on their habitat, and it just repeats itself city to city nationwide.

I hope the people who do the city planning in the future will adopt some healthy plans for such things and will not keep destroying what has taken mother nature so long to produce.
          "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

JoGee, another question along those lines, why must Habitat for Humanity build brand new homes??? There are so many houses that have good foundations sitting in ruin that could be fixed up for way less money.

Comment

Working...
            X