The seed bed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The seed bed

If it does not rain all day I think I will go ahead and screw my boards together to make a square for my seed bed. I have been needing some way to contain the rich soil that I compost so that I can sow seeds in it and not have everything to wash away when it rains hard.

You would not believe the creek that runs through our backyard when the hard rains come in June and July. Everyone else in the communities has this same problem. We do not have drainage systems and since these houses are on a hill, everything runs down.

I will be placing the frame into the edge of my patio garden later after all my seedlings are up and ready to transplant. When I sowed those flower seeds I didn't know that I would be presented with a framing solution. Isn't it funny how things work out?

I don't usually like square edges in a garden, but in this case it is warranted. My future garden plants will have a place to get nourished and grow like crazy. I will also sow my lettuce, scallions, cilantro, and spinach seeds in the frame. They are winter garden plants here and you can sow them in August or even September. They like the cool season.

In the meantime I need to get to The Dollar Tree and buy some seeds. I've still have beaucoup Zinnia seeds to sow, but I have to wait until the night temps are in the 70's. That is around June.

What kind of gardening projects do you have in mind for this spring season? I bet there are some great gardeners among all you who visit this site and I'd love to talk gardening with you anytime.

Have a wonderful day and remember to appreciate the beauty of nature.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Working...
X