Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you diet? And if so what plans have you tried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you diet? And if so what plans have you tried?

Just wondering if you diet and what works for you. I have tried soooo many, until I'm blue in the face. Like: Atkins, missed dairy & bread. South Beach, just couldn't do all that fish. Weight Watcher/ got tired of tracking and hated the meetings. Mediterainean was ok..didn't stick to it. Also tired the MayO Cinic diet..just got tired of grapefruit. Now I'm doing the Dash diet..on day 15 and it suggests doing a food journal...which helps. Again tracking. All these diets work..I think Atkins worked the fastest. I think my biggest problem is exercising. I used to be an athlete...I just have become sedintary and have a problem getting out there doing it again. I know I need to do it...I'm pre-diabetic. What to do...does anyone have any encouraging words out there?
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Phillipians 4:13

I am doing weight watchers at home on my own. Went to the meetings for over 2 years, but quit last August when I went on a new med and was gaining weight. Meds play a big role in weight loss. And I haven't been able to loose weight without the exercise. However, the only exercise I do in the winter is water aerobics.

If you find the secret...let me know.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

I have been dieting for years. Problem is I love food. Every diet I have been on and then went off I gained back the loss plus more. Dieted myself up to 180 lbs. meaning I'm way over weight right now. I really should get it off but am afraid it would come back as 185.
      Weight Watchers
      Atkins, (Had digestive problems and hated the lack of fruit.)
      Nine Day diet (It worked but some of the foods were really weird.)
      Dr. Phil. (It was probably the best one.)
      Can't remember what else but there were more.

Comment

I did a diet by the book ,and it was a little book written by two drs.. back in the 80... it worked great...
        can't find the darn book in this house..

however ,Jan 2012. I decided to get rid of some lbs... made some rules for myself and stuck to them,.. the lose was slow ,gradual. but by last Nov. I had lost 27 lbs... and that was my goal... rules very simple.. I can Pm them to you Spring if you wish... ( the Beer is the first thing to go . ,, and I don't even drink )
        Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Darn it if exercise isn't the big thing in losing weight. I DETEST exercising! I try walking about a mile when the weather is nice, but would do more if I had a walking partner...maybe if you found someone to walk with you? Time seems to go faster when you talk & walk. I have yet to find a walking partner around here.

Last spring I went to the doctor, had my six month check up on my thyroid along with all the lab work that went with it and got a clean bill of health. Three months later & 30lbs less I was diagonised with diabetes...type LADA (type 1 1/2...late onset diabetes with no PRE-diabetic symptoms and went straight to having to use insilin). I'm limited to 14 servings (15 grams = one serving) per day. I eat LOTS of veggies & some fruits...most are high in sugar. I found the easiest thing for me was to use a salad plate (the size btw dinner & dessert). 1/2 is veggies, 1/4 my meat, & 1/4 my starch and then a nice sized green salad. It does get boring occassionally & I longingly watch the restaurant commericials & cooking shows, but if I don't want to suffer the consequenses of diabetes, I've GOT to behave myself.

Yesterday at Recipe Club the theme was Easter and we had all the food groups represented surprisingly....ham, cheesy potatoes, yam casserolle, 2 kinds of bread, salads...tossed & jello, mixed veg. casserole, and desserts....WONDERFUL!!!! Well I had a little bit of everything and my sugar levels were sky high last night...BIG OOPS!!! So maybe you need to test your sugar level more regularly and get on the scales more often. I know that's what keeps me honest. Today I'm back to the veggies & chicken. You DO NOT want to become full blown diabetic!

Comment

I just don't know how you bake all those goody's and not eat them.....it would be impossible for me.

Comment

What got me on a healthy diet....happened after I had my heart attack in the year 2000.... Was already a diabetic.....and was pretty good at staying with right eating pattern. But after my husband died....sugar was always high....doc said it was stress that could cause it... therefore my cholesterol was also hi....the end result was the heart attack. I lost weight ..was about 170 at the time of my heart attack...got down to 143...stayed there for several years...about a year ago...had a sick spell...and got down to 128...but now have leveled off in low 130s.

I don't eat much in the way of meat....really like a veggie based diet...of course I do have some meat now and then.... I eat small meals many times a day....
              Last edited by Schmitty; 03-15-2013, 05:39 AM.
              Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

Comment

I've always been one that has said, "I LIVED to eat, not eat to live, but if the day comes I can't eat like this anymore, at least I had fun while it lasted." So in my mind I had a great time eat while I could. Before my dx my BP and all my blood levels were fine...even my cholestrol & sugar level. LADA is just like Type 1 (Junior diabetes) where it just suddenly comes on with no warning. Just some switch got flipped in my immune system and it happened. I wasn't horribly over weight before all this. When I told the doctor I had suddenly lost 30lbs without trying, that's what made him test me for LADA. I went from being just fine to having to take shots & pills 2x a day. Bummer!

I'm like an addict of any sort. I LONG to sit down with a glass of milk and several cookies or a big ole piece of pie or a giant hamburger, but have to remind myself of the dire consequenses if I do. By taking my sugar level at least 2x a day, it keeps my honest and it lets me know if I'm screwing up. The other week I tried two WHOLE cookies of two new recipes I tried and my level shot way up. I can only now break off a piece and try it. Processed sugars and flours are really hard on me. It doesn't seem the natural sugars and whole wheats cause me as much problems. I've seen first hand what happens when diabetes can't be controlled sucessfully...blindness, wounds that won't heal, loss of limbs, and heart attacks...this all scares the crap out of me. The high level (314) the other night was the reminder I need occassionally that my body no longer can deal with stuff normally....crap & double crap! As I say, "I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of the dying process."

I guess I'm like Mickie as far as we enjoy cooking & feeding people. I get more pleasure out of making other people smile. Sunday they are having a potluck after the service & I'm going to make a big ole skillet of black beans & rice with TONS of veggies. I know I can eat that and not feel guilty.

Comment

My weight gain began in the hospital in 1989.... and its been tough ever since. i came home wearing a mumu because i had no clothes that fit... I was 40 lbs heavier than normal.
                  I've tried several diets. Weight Watchers didnt work after the first 10 lbs, but I discovered what my worst foods were.
                  South Beach worked best for me, but I got tired of following their menus and double checking everything. But I try to follow it, rule-of-thumb method. A yogurt and fruit smoothie for lunch is my friend! The Gluecose Index helps as well.
                  I follow calorie awareness on Lose-It (Apps, or Lose-It.com), now connected with 2 daughters there.
                  My PCP says count Carbs, not calories. My school chum tells me 5 or 6 little meals a day is ideal... I don't see her losing any weight. I don't like spending my day watching the clock for food. I'll stick to 3 meals and 2 small snack (if I'm really hungry) a day. Save your last 100 calories of the day for a small treat for "being good".
                  My Nutritionist says, count the fats, and gave me a # to adhere to. She said I am right on track with the right kinds of foods, but be aware of all the food label ingredients.
                  I know I lack in the exercise area, but exercise machines tend to injure me. All the doctors say that walking is the best exercise, anyway. My Oncologist says to wear a pedometer (I keep breaking or losing them!) and to aim for 10,000 steps a day. (Hard to do when I'm reading all of the time.)

Dieting, ideally, is basically portion control of healthier foods, and eat slowly. Sometimes hard to stick to, but you can train yourself.
                  I keep small tangerines on hand in the fridge for a snack. E eats most of the frozen grapes anyway.

With hot weather coming, I imagine my lunches will be basic smoothies... Milk, yogurt (any flavor), banana, berries; ice cubes optional. I don't think it needs sweetening. Just blend and enjoy.
                  Last edited by JoGee; 03-15-2013, 03:22 PM.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Lost 5 lbs. so far. Trying to limit myself to 1200 cals a day...eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies. The weekends are the hardest. Still tracking in my food journal. Have gone over limit several times, but at least, I'm still trying. If I didn't track, I'm sure that I would double my calories.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement. I am trying to keep measuring my portions. When I eat chinese or someone else's food it's pert near impossible to track the calories. But, I do try to watch the amounts I eat.

In the meantime...still pluggin along. I must change my life style and accept that this is not just a diet, but a way of life. I will eat what I want...but will try to make good decisions about what I eat.

Comment

The best exercise to lose weight is push aways. Pushing yourself from the table while you are still hungry. Works wonders.

Comment

Love you Arm...miss your posts. Always funny

Comment

Working...
                        X