Season Confusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Confusion?

Tonight the temps will drop to 30 degrees.
    So I went outside to untangle the mess the winds have made of the tomato patch covering.
    I was so surprised to find so doggone many green tomatoes growing (some are marked in shades of green like heirloom tomatoes!) - just scads of them.
    Then I turned around and looked down at my little apple tree. Oh boy, there already are apple blossoms (and more coming) on it. I am looking for another cover to put onto it.
    This is just beyond belief.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

JoGee, how lucky are you girl? Wish that was my garden.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Karlinann....the tomato patch is one that I'd come to let nature take care of. When it was a carefully tended garden, it didn't do as well. Then one fall I wasn't up to removing all the old plants. By springtime, it had dropped fruit, reseeded the garden by itself. The plants are now a few years old. I do not neatly trim the branches any more because they are needed to protect the plants from the sun and heat. At most, I cut off branches off that extend very far from the little garden, which measures about 4'x6'. Now the tomatoes are the tastiest you can imagine, and they are different sizes (cherry, Roma, early girl, and heirloom - all cross-pollinated). This space used to grow half a dozen veggies when I began. In February I will be starting all the other veggies in my greenhouse, and the vine plants in the berm.

I wonder what my grandparents, who grew up farming in "the old country" would have thought about it?
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hope they make it through the freezing temperatures we are having.

Comment

Thanks, Nalani. Me too.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

My mind cannot wrap itself around growing tomatoes and apples in the midst of a big snow! If I had a heated greenhouse, perhaps.....
            Good friends are like diamonds...precious and rare.

Comment

Jo, we have no snow here. It's just very cold right now. It's in the low 30's at night, Monday night should get down to 29* here. Today we have big winds, which makes it feel cooler. I'm surprised to find the tomato covers still intact, if tattered now. I had to readjust the sheet over the apple tree as it has yet more blossoms on the other branches now. But days are in the low 50's to mid-60's, the thermometer is a yo-yo with it. The pear tree isn't producing yet, so no problem there.
              I am astounded that we have all the blossoms, much less tomatoes. I'm just watching to seeif Maye will be coming over to grab them for her green tomato jam!
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X