How to make a grapevine wreath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a grapevine wreath

Wreaths are a symbol of undying love, thus the wedding ring. The ancient Romans used wreaths of Laurel to signify great leaders and rulers and they were used to adorn the most worthy Olympic athletes.

Today I will tell you how to make a wreath from scratch. A little prep work is involved here. I like to gather my grapevine from nature so I take my pruning shears and go into the woods. Look for the longer vines and you won't need to gather so much. Pull the vines out of the trees and you'll need at least 5 pieces to start with. Strip off all the leaves, but leave those nice tendrils attached.

Start with the base of the vine in your left hand, 5 pieces, and begin working the vines around in a circle going right with your R hand and keep the vine coming around and past the L hand where you're holding the base and keep passing the vines around and around. When you get within 3 ft of the ends just start twining the vines into and back out of the wreath form. If you are making a huge wreath you may need to start with some wire around the base of the vines in the L hand.

You are finished. Now make a hanger with wire or a pipe cleaner for the back of the wreath.

If you decorate your wreath you can either tuck skinny stems into the vines by going in the same direction or you can wire it on or use floral string. Always have the material you choose going in the same direction. You can also tie little bunches of material together and then wire it on.

I like to gather all my material together before I start. You can use greenery, boxwood, Magnolia, pine, holly, Nandina berries, Pittosporum, Piney's, (it's like a fern), pinecones, Rosemary, thyme, Bay Leaf, kumquats, fruits, vegetables, dried flowers, fresh flowers, Palmetto, or just about anything to decorate a wreath.

If you are just making a wreath for the kitchen with herbs I suggest keeping it small. Thyme, Rosemary, Sweet Marjoram, Bay Leaf, Lavender and Oregano can be used to make a small wreath for gifting. Just using Boxwood clippings makes a beautiful small wreath for candle rings or to hang on windows with pretty ribbon. The Box will keep it's pleasant scent for a very long time and these dry to a very light green color. It's a keeper!

The beauty of a wreath is that it will last and last and you can refresh it for any season or event.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Thanks for the info. I may just try this as I have more wild grapes in the back of the garden than I know what to do with. (If I can get past the wild blackberries to get to them.)

Comment

Working...
    X