Produce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Produce

My garden is coming out of it since we had all that good rain. I've got more tomatoes forming and that should get us through until frost. The morning glories are finally filling out the trellis and should offer up some nice blooms any day now. I just love their sweet little faces in the morning.

Eventually I plan to have the whole backyard planted with something, either groundcovers, bushes, perennials, herb garden, berry patch, etc. The grass is too sparse to mow and I don't like the weedeaters. If I could find a huge pile of bricks or flat stones I'd really have it made. As it is, they are way too expensive. My other alternative is to buy one of those concrete paver moulds and Quikrete to form some paths throughout my gardens.

I've almost got all the grass dug out from around my patio and will wait until fall/winter to do more.

Have a great day. Peace and Plenty.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

karlin, your yard and garden sounds wonderful. You must post some photos so we can all appreciate it.

We have flower beds (actually shrubbery beds) around the entire house that are bordered with landscape stones. We also had flower walk all along the back made of pavers. It was great to walk on, but keeping the grass from between the stones and the pavers became an impossible task, so this year when John plowed the backyard, he removed the walk. We had a horrendous summer last year, as you may know. Miraculously everything except the grass survived, but we have removed some of the beds and plantings that require water, since hauling hoses is become a chore neither of us can deal with.

We used to have a large garden, but I'm so thankful we did away with that because our friends and family keep us more than supplied in fruits and veggies. Nephew brought 1/2 bushel of peaches yesterday.

I gave up canning and storing food. For 2 people it is a waste of effort. We eat what we can and share the rest with others.

I love our yard but when the Texas heat gets cranked up and a drought comes along with it, it's impossible for the two of us to deal.

Enjoy what you have while you are young enough to care for it.

Comment

My front walk way was done with one of the concrete molds. We colored it terre cotta. I'd like more in the back yard but can't get the guys interested in doing it. They work so I don't grouce about it. If I'm gonna give em grief, I'll wait till something comes up that is a bigger deal that paving stones.
      Good friends are like diamonds...precious and rare.

Comment

I like the molds idea! Your garden will be beautiful when you finish.

Comment

Weeds are a big problem here, too. Joy keeps the grass mowed but here and there are wild Chervil plants. They look very pretty with tiny white blossoms and lacy leaves. Unfortunately every one of those blossoms turns into a sticker. They get in the cats and Lily's fur, stick to socks, and are just a plain itchy nuisance. And every one of those sticker seeds that falls to the ground starts another plant.

Comment

Working...
          X