Magnolia ~ flowers from coffee filters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnolia ~ flowers from coffee filters

For a couple of years I've been saving coffee filters because I love to recycle and repurpose things. I have quite a stack and have been looking for some way to make flowers out of them. I have seen several patterns online, but I was not impressed with any of them and I really wanted something more real looking.

This morning I got out my craft box and started cleaning and organizing all that stuff. I separated the rickrack, ribbon, felt pieces, and patterns all into separate bags. I got a needle and thread and folded a coffee filter in half and started gathering it and I liked the way that looked. Why has it taken me this long to figure out how to make the Magnolia flowers? It's sewwwwwwww easy. You just take a filter, fold in half stained side up, gather loosely and add 3 more onto that 1st one then tie off. Then take 3 more filters and gather those together and tie those off. Place the 3 down on top of the 4 and arrange like the petals of a Magnolia blossom. I am going to glue mine to sticks and make felt leaves and place them in my French floral containers. They are tall and need some tall flowers. I found those in the trash too!

If you want to make this craft and need further instruction just let me know. Happy crafting!
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

I like this idea but can't see it in my minds eye. Could you post pics?
    Good friends are like diamonds...precious and rare.

Comment

Hi JoS. Good to hear from you. I do not have a camera and cannot post pics, but I can Skype you and show you what I made if you want. Are you signed up with Skype? It's free and easy. If you are already a member and want to Skype me just let me know what time/day to be signed in. Thanks for the response to my post.
      "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Shoot. I don't have skype anymore....my laptop died and this monitor doesn't have a camera in it. Thank anyhow!
        Good friends are like diamonds...precious and rare.

Comment

JoS here are the instructions and I think you can do this. What you will need: used coffee filters - 7, needle and thread, magnolia stems or sticks that look the same, (ask your neighbor for some if they have a tree), and glue gun/glue sticks.

Take a CF, (coffee filter), fold in half, with thread & needle loosely gather 1/4 inch from middle edge. Look at the CF like a apple turnover and sew it on the closed edge, not the open edge. When you get to the edge with your needle grab another CF and gather it and continue until you have 4 CF's sewn together. Tie those off. Do 3 more together, tie those off. Now take the 3 CF's and place down on top of the 4 CF's, but turn them so each petal is not overlapping another petal. Like in nature each petal is stemming out from the inside and they are each separate.

Try to hold onto the CF that you are sewing because they want to try and turn around on you. In order to keep it gathered you need to keep it firm in your hand.

This is not difficult. If I can do it anybody can. I bet Martha Stewart would love to see this. I still haven't gathered my sticks, but my neighbors have plenty of Magnolia trees so it won't be an issue. I can envision them in my French flower holders. Beautiful!

Comment

Working...
          X