Organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organization

There is a lot to be said about organization in the home. Today found me straightening, cleaning and organizing the pantry, the closet and basically the whole house. I even started on the filing box. Wholly, molly, stop me now. I had it in mind to tackle putting away the summer clothing, but that just opened the door for all the other stuff.

I am a minimalist now, but I have been lax with just placing things around and not paying too much attention to detail until one day you look at a room and the fung shui is like bizarre and you realize you need to regain control of the objects in the room.

For instance I had a metal shelf in the kitchen with jars of canned goods and other canning jars on it. I put the canned goods in the pantry and placed the shelf in our closet to store shoes and clothes on. It is a perfect fit and serves a much better purpose in the closet. Also I love the extra space in my kitchen now.

The pantry needed a quick fix so I moved things around and made more space in the process. I have more room on the shelves now and it looks more appealing. I don't like anything on the floor because it takes longer to clean the floors if you have to move things, but I haven't found the right hangers for my Swiffer, step stool, etc. I will eventually get it squared away.

Do you go through this process before winter? What is your strategy plan? Do you keep things in an attic or storage room? We do not have storage so that is why I've had to become so minimalist and besides I kind of prefer it. No more hoarding things. Let it go. That's my motto! Speaking of which I have a load of clothing to take to the thrift shop. Too big for me to wear.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

I have been reading a self help book called Small Move, Bug Change.
    It is helping me take small steps that lead to getting the big job done, but I am in the next small step phase.
    I have a pantry closet filled with pots and pans that seldom get used. I want to "let it go", but it is something very hard for me to do.

Comment

Paula, that was me when we moved this last time and I had to let everything go because my reward was to live closer to my daughter. It has been so worth it and I'm glad I made the sacrifice. I had to want something far greater than those things. You might feel differently if you were going to turn that space into another room. For instance: If you've always wanted your own little office with a place to put all your stuff and little storage solutions that look fabulous and creative then you would be gaining something for giving something. You might want your own sewing nook, or a reading nook. I used to have my office under the stairs in our townhouse. It had a door, electricity, and just enough room for a desk and a lamp. Snug. I loved it. I knew a woman who had her office tucked inside a closet. Let your imagination run wild and I bet you will be tagging all those pots and pans for a sale before you know it.
      "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Karlinann, thanks for the encouragement! And guess what was on Hoarders last night? A woman who had, among LOTS of other stuff, Hundreds of pots and pans! She was obsessed and buying on eBay all in the thought she might be needing another set...another copper bottom pan...
        I went to my closet and grabbed the pans I do not use. ,I realize red cookware is my trigger. And QVC holds my ammunition!
        I do not watch their cooking shows anymore.

Comment

Baby steps Paula. Congrats! Who knows what that pantry will become.

Comment

Working...
          X