Saturday, December 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday, December 7

Good morning Rounders! Not much going on around here. I guess Cookielady is too busy with all that baking. I miss her.

We watched the Hallmark movie, "Christmas At the Plaza" last evening and it was so good. The lady who plays the director of the Plaza used to be the housekeeper on The Bob Newhart show. It didn't take me long to figure out where I had seen her before. This is a must watch movie. It's full of Christmas spirit!

I'm finished with all my cookies. I made another triple batch this morning and I used up all the peanut butter in this house. We will make delivery today and we're done.

I gave myself a good haircut yesterday and I've already gotten a compliment. My hair has really gotten silver this year and I like it.

Not much going on here. Peace & Plenty.
    Last edited by karlinann; 12-07-2019, 05:22 AM.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good morning Karlinann and those that follow. I think we may have turned a corner around here with crabbiness. Three of the grumpiest people sat around here after school. Andrew left early for his Friday dinner with his mom and company, Jon went to the boy cave and no one saw him the rest of the night. I crocheted a while then went to bed to watch tv. I slept from 10:00 until 5:30 this morning! That is certainly a record...and I feel better! Once I get moving this morning I am going to the local mall and finish up the shopping. Hoping I do not have any list left when I finally run out of money...ya know?The Six Flags passes for next year have to be activated before the end of the year to get all the free upgrades so Jon, Sierra and that bf are going this evening...Andrew is getting his tree today, they cut their own, and then his Uncle will take him and his cousin to activate theirs. My shoulder is still sore so want to see if Jon will be home tomorrow to help mix cookies. I know, you are are shocked I said that word! I will get them baked and then the boys can ice some evening. I will just mix up a batch of cut outs and then split a batch of chocolate chip and m&m. Not one person in this house needs a cookie especially the one who will sneak up at night and grab one but you just gotta have a cookie. And I want to try to make Christmas nice...but why does it sometimes feel like a chore? I do not know how you work with kids all day, volunteer evenings and weekends and maintain a kind and sweet mood Paula. I look at what you ladies all do and feel like a slug!! I used to start baking December 1 and bake cookies and breads, was always a room mother. I was even a room volunteer for my granddaughter. But, alas, those days are gone. Guess I ate to many of my own cookies!!

It has been gloomy and never warmed yesterday like predicted. I wrapped a couple of things yesterday but none were mine. I will finish up Andrew's shopping for him today since he told me what to get. The hat he ordered for his grandpa should be in soon and then he has finished. Sierra wanted gift cards and she got them mostly but wanted her to have a sweater or something to unwrap. I will wrap each and every gift card in assorted size boxes. Everyone unwraps here! The neighbor overpays Andrew to do little chores for her and I want to pick up a poinsettia for him to take to her...or do you think a fruit basket? She lived there when he was born and at one time was his pediatric nurse so they know each other from way back. Can you believe I am maybe seeing the end in sight? A great nights sleep has given me a new perspective...and so far an ounce of energy.

Giving myself a haircut would never be considered a good thing but I do need to call for a trim next week. I am past the turning silver thing and just glad to have a head full of hair...I think my boys will keep their hair but I have a couple of nephews where it is not looking so good for them. Have a wonderful day everyone. Hope the sun shines around here but ya never know...even an hour would be nice..

Comment

• Paula A
      Paula A commented
      Editing a comment
      I have one boy with very little hair and he keeps it buzzed and the other has more but he takes pills for it!

Okay, I finally got an answer from the lady who gave me that fondant recipe. I did not add enough cocoa and you just need to keep adding it until it can form a ball and then you can dip the balls into nuts or coconut. I will finish what little I have left, but unfortunately I tried to use the rest of the SCM to make something else and it didn't turn out. Next year I will make those fondant balls and they will be delish.

Nope, I added way more cocoa powder and that mix is still not firm. I've used a bunch of cocoa and I'm not doing any more on that project. I will just eat the chocolate mix a little at a time. Can you say Chocolate caffeine overload!!!!!!
    Last edited by karlinann; 12-07-2019, 09:51 AM.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

• Paula A
      Paula A commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I will not be trying this at home! Maybe just buy a few chocolates if I ever make it to the Sees store... I have a 5.00 off coupon for spending 35.00 but that is too much candy to be in my reach!
      I have wanted to take a box to our Empty Nesters pot luck which is Monday, but we are having a bad storm and I don’t want to drive up to Redding in it.

I'm up...I'm up! Good Morning!!!!! I FINALLY got to get a tiny bit of extra sleep...until my husband called at 8am to see if I was up yet. GRRRRR!!!!!

I'm alive & well. Yes, I've been very busy baking those thousands of cookies. Went my hit the floor, they are running. I had at least one if not both of my helpers come everything this week. I need to have things prepped before they got here. I'd then continue baking after they left sometimes to midnight. There were little breaks here & there. A nap or two. It's a joke btw Cork & me. I ask if he wants to watch an episode of NCIS and that's code for I need a nap. I sometimes barely make it through the first 10 minutes. LOL!

Yesterday Sue & I went into town after she was done. Had lunch at Applebee's, then onto Kohl's to spend her Kohl's cash. It was a nice break. Then back to work. I did cook a real meal and we actually sat down together. Cork's been coming home from 10 hr shifts and claiming he doesn't want anything to eat but a bowl of cereal. So I don't cook most of the time. Blaise & I just find something. I know....I'm a terrible grandma...LOL! He did request tacos a few days, and I accommodated him.

Did I tell you Becca got a promotion? Her new degree is already paying off! She just text me the other day, and her starting date is this Monday. We were surprised since she won't officially graduate until 12/13. She'll have Sundays & Mondays off, so she'll get to come down and play cards occasionally.

Cork's off getting 2 new tires on the old Escape. Always something.

I've been letting my fingers do my shopping. My quest was to complete Blaise's two favorite book series....Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Big Nate. Got most of them off of ebay, so they've been coming in slowly but surely. Now I didn't mess around with Xander's gift. I just purchased the whole Elephant & Piggie series brand new on Amazon. It was cheaper that way. I know they haven't read them to him, but I want to introduce him to this funny & fun series. Hopefully it'll interest him to read once he's able. In the meantime, I'll read them to him.

My feelings are a bit hurt & I'm a bit ticked. Now if I was JUST Grandma, I could deal with this, but I'm not. We are basically Mom & Dad to him. I was informed that we may not even see him on Christmas since btw Kathy & Kody, they'll have him. I know I've said it before, but I feel like I'm unpaid babysitter who's feelings and desires don't matter. It's their RIGHT to have him on holidays. Parents of the year there. Only 6 more months and then Kathy will see what it's like to be a parent 24/7 whether she's busy, sick or working (stop laughing at that one!). She was to have him last night after school, but she was going to be busy moving stuff to their new apt. Ummmm....ya have him help you. That's being part of a family. Sorry...I promise myself I won't bash her, but she just frustrates the bajeezers out of me.

Well, back to the kitchen. I've got two pies ready to go into the oven. This gentleman calls about every other week and buys a lg elderberry pie and usually some other kinds of lg berry pie. This week it's red raspberry. Then it's onto filling dozens and dozens of Gobbs. Need to bake off the lemon delights that Theresa scooped for me, dip the buckeyes, and bake more nut horns. I'm so hungry for deep dish chicken, and I may make that just for myself. Doubtful, but we'll see.

I do read everyday...eventually. Miss chatting with you all. Only 2 more weeks of this insanity, and then I get to relax a bit.

TTFN!!!!!

Comment

• jostoy
      jostoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats to Becca. She has seen her future for a while, and now seems to attained that goal. I know you are very proud of her, as you should be.

I think I tell Kody and Kathy that you will have him for a while either on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. After all, both you and Blaise, you, and Cork deserve that much. He is a part of you and Cork's family. Don't say you are "just" a grandma. You have raised him and taught him well.

• maxie
      maxie commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh whoa...you need to claim your time Cookie. Part time parents do not dictate holiday time in my book. You tell them when you want him and they can just work it out among themselves. They have put you into the babysitter category and you need to claim your rightful place as parent. My opinion of course but that bums me up! You and Cork deserve much better than this...prime time is yours! Congrats to Becca.
      Last edited by maxie; 12-07-2019, 09:46 AM.

• boffler
      boffler commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with Maxie totally on this, you most definitely are more than just a Grandma if not for you well and Cork Blaise would not be where he is in life, a safe, loving, christian environment. My son is dating a woman with a daughter that reminds me a whole lot of kathy and it scares me to death... This is you busy time of year so understand not being able to come here...I get behind also.

Good morning everyone.

Sorry I've been missing a couple days, but after my SIL and I got to the shop, which is 25 miles south of FW, I started getting so dizzy that I got nauseated. So much that she brought me home. She and my niece brought my car home later in the evening. The new med that I'm on is doing a real job on me. Anyway I got on the internet to see what would be side effects of stopping "cold turkey", and I can't do that. Side effects are too serious. I did talk to my neurologist's nurse, but she never got back to me like she said she would. So I'm cutting back to the 1/2 tab like I went on it to get to a full tablet.

Some Dr.'s just don't understand that after bariatric surgery, people can't take what normal stomachs can take. Anyway enough of my complaints.

My Thursday post said I may have some good news to share. Well that good news is that I've had an offer on my house in Illinois. Of course the offer was a little lower than what I lowered it in Oct. After lowering $13,000., I don't feel like I can go a penny less. Haven't heard back from my realtor since yesterday evening. As I told her to counter back with listed price. So hopefully they will accept my counter. If not I'll have to split their offer in the middle.

Maxie, I still have a gift to get also, but it won't be until my head clears. Not going to move my car with these dizzies.

Hope all have a great day. Enjoy the sunshine if it is shinning in your area.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

• Paula A
      Paula A commented
      Editing a comment
      And when you don’t hear from a nurse ask your pharmacist. They are more informed ( in my opinion and experience) than the doctors office.

• jostoy
      jostoy commented
      Editing a comment
      Paula, I never thought about asking the pharmacist. But I can't drive or even ride right now.

• boffler
      boffler commented
      Editing a comment
      jostoy you are so right about Drs. prescribing meds for bariatric people...I can only take one Tylenol now instead of two breaks me out in the worst sweats ever, can't take big vitamins, and other meds that are just to much for me.. Glad to hear you got an offer and even if you have to split it will be a load off of your mind for sure...better than paying insurance and a few utilities on it not to mention what can happen to homes not lived in. Hope cutting back on your med will help the dizzies..

Good chatty morning! Now if my phone will behave and post I will be happy.
    I have an appointment this morning and it is really rainy and windy out but it is Saturday and I am going to enjoy it!

We May have a case of that crabbiness going around here ( not me, but with all the comments and complaints I am hearing from the kitchen and laundry I may start in!). I am pretty laid back and Becky is not...enough said.

Donna, I think you should tell them when Blaise will be available. You really are the primary parent/caregiver and provider. It just seems fair that you should decide.

My big food project will be our pot luck on Monday and the shelter dinner this coming Friday. I want to make three dishes for Monday: cheesy potatoes which everyone calls Funeral potatoes, a broccoli and cauliflower and carrot dish with a cream cheese sauce and a Buche de Noel which is French chocolate cake roll.
    I made my first B de N from a walnut ad in a Woman’s Day magazine decades ago.

I cut my own bangs but that is all. And my stylist friend totally rolls her eyes when I go in after doing it. I like bangs to cover the wrinkles on my forehead!

Jostoy, I am really praying the house sells and you can have that taken care of!

Have a great day, Friends!

Comment

• jostoy
      jostoy commented
      Editing a comment
      I really appreciate that prayer, Paula. When I was called Wednesday night about the husband wanting my house, and the wife wanting a different one, I called my SIL to say a prayer for me, as well as my saying a prayer that the husband would win.

Again , thank you.

Good afternoon, we both got off to a busy start this morning...brunch is over, I mixed up my beef summer sausage logs yesterday, they are now in the oven slowly baking...love homemade ones and after getting our beef it is one of the first things I wanted to make...Also got my granddaughters picture done yesterday, got all of her pictures printed out, then cut them to fit under the letters of soccer....now today will do the other grandaughters with the word swimmer...

Tomorrow is the surprise birthday party for Mom in law, so tomorrow morning will be a busy one with an early start, have to get up and make the meatballs and weiners, chicken sandwiches, and barbecue pork, get us both ready to leave, and pick his Mom up under the guise of taking her out to lunch...the party starts at 1:00, the SIL has a Facebook page for it, here is what she said, amazing no one else is mentioned...that is just a small sampling of her 'nature'.
    Geri’s 80th Surprise Birthday Party Private Hosted by Cindy.

Time to get busy on my granddaughters picture...I am not feeling the greatest, I do have an appt. with the orthopedic Dr. next week..
    Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

I am posting from a bench on old main in Saint Charles. I am shopped out. Waiting on my family. I have one more stop and that’s the popcorn shop. My plans for the day include eating popcorn and reading. A nap too. I have really enjoyed having my family here and shopping and eating and shopping some more.

I now have most of my Christmas shopping dobe.

Comment

Me too Beth! Have stocking stuffers and one more gift but I will get that Thursday on our ladies shopping day. I went our local mall today and stood in line to get into Bath and Body! Seems today is candle day. Holy Crap. I would never stand in line for a darn candle....however, to eat my words, I did stand in line to get in to buy a gift card! The entire mall was a zoo but everyone was in a good mood. Even I managed to maintain my cheery disposition and that does not come naturally for me!! LOL! My next trip out will be for fast food. Blues play early tonight so it will be an early evening for me. On the funny side...you know those rotten bananas? My son went out and bought new rotten bananas so he can make banana bread. I detest banana bread so hope he doesn't stink the place up. Wonder how many place he went to find rotten bananas to buy? Very strange people live here!

Comment

• Paula A
          Paula A commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope he got
          A great price for them! Ours usually are .25/pound for going bad bananas.
          I just got home from shopping because I forgot two items! They were even on my list...
          But since I was out and the rain had stopped I went to a local restaurant that has good prime rib on the weekend and had dinner all by myself. I did take time to make another gift list, grandkids, but I had a wonderful dinner and survived being alone at the table!
      Working...
      X