Monday, September 02, ~ Happy Labor Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday, September 02, ~ Happy Labor Day

Good morning Rounders! I have put away my white shorts and capris for the year. My neighbors are already celebrating that the hurricane is not going to come near us, but not me. You never know what a storm/hurricane/tornado will do and the weatherman is not always right on their predictions, so I say just wait. As for me I'm not taking my things back outside until it's well past.

Maxie and anybody who has been thinking ahead and wondering what the winter of 2019/2020 is going to be like; the farmer's almanac is predicting a cold winter. I'm not making this up. You can google Farmer's Almanac and see it for yourself.

Today is a rest & relax day. Take care, eat well, and enjoy yourselves. Life is short. Peace & Plenty.

"Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good news on the hurricane but this one has been a stinker and I would still worry too! I have heard what the almanac days...boo!! Lots of cold and lots of snow. It is like Mother Nature isn't even trying anymore to be friendly....

Yesterday I did get a lot of work accomplished. Cleaned a bit, did laundry and I ironed! Yep got that done. All the ceiling fans are dusted. Jon did some touch up painting. Wanted to change out the door wreath but could not reach it and I swear he did not get it down on purpose. Besides I do not know why he put them up so high in the first place. I turned the kitchen table in the other direction and I like it better...gives me more moving room. I really like it round but hate putting the sleeves in and out.

No plans for today. My son is working anyway so not cooking. Yeah, like I was really going to anyway. Ha! But I hope each of you have BBQ's and parties to go to and have a wonderful Labor Day. BooHoo..goodbye summer!!

Comment

Good morning all.

It does look like summer is ending a little earlier. BUT I am further north now, and F.W. always got more snow than I got in Robinson. But as I had said a few days ago, I'll be glad to see winter come this year so I can get some rest.

I am suppose to get my porch done this week. The support posts are rotted out at the bottom, so I'm having vinyl posts and railings put in. The railing that is there now, hits me right at eye level when I sit down so the new one will be 36" high, which is to code. This is the 4th house that I have bought, and I've never had to work at something this hard before.

Today I'm going to do some cooking. Making potato salad, and frying some deer tenderloins. I may also get started on filling in the cracks in the garage and driveway. A lot of this week will be helping my SIL. She has to take her car to get new shoes, and also I have to disconnect the waterline on her fridge, and put the new line on the new one. It is ridiculous what the company wants to charge her for doing it ($145.00)

So I hope everyone enjoys this Labor Day. I do feel sorry for those who have to worry about their homes and property along Dorian's path. May the people at least stay safe.
      Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Good morning.
        I am up way early this morning. Is it really Monday already? I may need a nap later on. My Fitbit has not registered my sleep nor my steps yet today. Sometimes it takes a while, and then I wonder if it’s already wearing out. It will do better after a charging, but it’s only halfway down on its last charge. Stupid gadget.

Yesterday was good for me. Middle DD and her boyfriend took me out to lunch at DD’s favorite Italian restaurant. They can easily give OG a run for the money. They are very good. I ordered ravioli. I had enough left over for supper. Delish! Plus they have cannoli on the dessert menu. I don’t know why people swoon over cannoli....it’s an okay dessert, not too sweet, but DD says it’s one of the best offered. They offer a small size as well as a large size. I get a small one, a finger food to me. DD gets the large one, and devours it with a fork. As usual, her boyfriend was very attentive to my well being, offering his arm til I get my walker. I actually do well enough on my own, but the kids don’t take chances in case I trip and fall. I have to remind him it’s easier for me to push myself up out of a seat (booth or car), than to be pulled up which feels very awkward.

You are absolutely right about the hurricane paths, Karlinann. They can surprise you. I remember living in Mississippi in Gulfport/Biloxi. Our home on base there was close to the Gulf. Every year we had hurricane threats, prepared our homes and taping all the windows, sometimes families had to evacuate homes and gather in windowless block buildings. We brought blankets, quilts, coolers full of drinks, and boxes of snacks, bags with change of clothes for whoever might need them. The kids thought it great fun, while parents worried about what damages might occur at their homes. Today, the maps don’t show a housing area there. We were lucky, the destructive hurricanes didn’t strike while we lived there.... we were lucky. Some storms did backtrack and take a new route.

After this long blazing summer, I will welcome a cold winter. But what constitutes “cold” in Arizona? I should pick up a Farmer’s Almanac and check it out. My grandfather always seemed to know what to expect from the weather patterns. Paying close attention to changes in plants, various animals and birds (their fur and behaviors), and observed the weather patterns in his own way. That’s what they learned to do in “the Old Country” as they worked their farms. He amazed me. He simply knew the nature of his land.

Well, in two days I have my consultation appointment with one of the doctors. I’m not sure if it’s wasted time or not, as my records are already in her office. I want to know what they will find, but that appointment isn’t set up yet. I do not care for Phoenix doctors. The ones in Tucson were far more efficient, personable, and cost conscious for the patient.

Well, I have a few things to do. I’d better get started.
        Have a good, enjoyable Labor Day. ☀️

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

• maxie
          maxie commented
          Editing a comment
          Olive Garden has a lemon cake is to die for! I always get a piece to go and it is yummy. I am not a fan of cannolis. How wonderful to have someone who is there with assistance...Here Jon just waits until I stop bouncing and see if I broke something before he offers to help me get up! No just kidding! Read someplace that the woodpeckers have a tell for winter and funny thing is this morning I heard a couple of them pecking in trees. Maybe I am just paying more attention since I read that? Take care of yourself and so happy you have family around finally.

Good morning I am considering going back to sleep. I was around 4 and had to take migraine medicine. So I am still feeling drugged out.

Comment

good morning,
          ...got a few minutes ...have had house guests for over a week.. son Mike who lives in Co. is here for most of 2 weeks..( alone).. and have enjoyed his visit... his son,Kiel, who lives in Va. single guy. drove up , arrived noon on Sat. and has to leave today. he wanted to visit with us and his DAD.. been fun.. they are all getting showered. . so don't see any "party" in view for us.. maybe a eat at local resturant later today..
          ....David walking is getting worse. depending more and more on walker.. and I twisted my left knee. so I am limping.. do NOT like this OLD crap.. can't be avoided but not feeling 100percent has never been something I liked at all... Had a sister in law that loved being "sick".. had people waiting on her a lot.
          ....September always makes me sad.. the beginning of "winter"... I do love SUMMER... when the leaves turn in Sept and then fall off trees.. everyones yards ,property , suddenly looks messy.. and not GREEN. anywhere. boo hoo.. PLUS the Cold.. with David not getting around ,I will be pretty much housebound... sigh... enough!.. cripeing from me..

.....hello to all.. I do read every day..

Comment

• Paula A
            Paula A commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope you eat out and get that knee rested up. Love to you and David!

Good Morning and good to have a day off! All this talk and reading about winter coming and being colder is making me nervous. I am still hoping for warm enough weather to swim in the mornings or at least evenings (but I am usually too tired out form daycare to want to exercise swim) and use my pool. After that it will be walking for exercise...the pool just wakes me up better!

No bbq for me today, but that is our choice. We had thought maybe we would bbq chicken but decided to keep tings easy. I have smoked pork roast I bought and will heat that up.

I have grocery shopping to do (things that weren't bought Saturday and now I want), and we are going to return items to Macy's for Becky and will shop a bit...I really don't need anything but want to go to Bath and Body Works. Maxie has got me in the mood to have some Fall scents in the house.

That hurricane is sure tearing up the Bahamas. I was watching ABC on my phone last night and it was shocking. I hope you are ok Karlinann and it and the high water pass you by!
          My niece is out visiting her parents in Orlando, but decided to go to Tampa and visit her sister while the storm is going. I was wondering if my brother and sil would go, too, but Doug is the kind to stay and take care of the pace unless evacuated. I have another niece that still lives on Merritt Island and usually all the family will go stay together at the townhouse next to WDW. Including my sil's parents.

I know I have things I could do, but not sure just how much I will take on today. OUtside areas are calling me while it is cooler and then shopping with Becky and then the Walmart shopping list...vacuuming out the cars and taking area rugs outside to clean are my definitely to do's today. I have three large ones in the daycare and they need aired out as well as deep cleaned. Toddlers and their dripping a bottle!

Enough of my small talk. I hope you all are enjoying the day and staying well and happy!
          Donna, I saw the photo of the pumpkin cakes! awesome and fun!
          Jo, a young couple who just moved form her last week by bus, texted they found some place hotter than Red Bluff: they had a 4 hour layover in Phoenix! They were on their way to Kansas and to relocate to find a job. I always think of you wnen the weather peeps are giving those temperatures around the country. Take care!

Do your best and smile!

Comment

Maxie, I love that lemon cake too! But DDs restaurant does do pasta better.
            Do you have blackbirds or crows coming around yet? When they arrive, Old Man Winter is about to arrive....or so I was told. Also, if your pet’s fur is starting to grow in thicker.

Paula, I have heard, “It is hot as H*!! here, but I didn’t realize Satan has actually moved here.”

Maye, yes, do take care of that knee. Maybe someone can pick up dinner at a grocery store or Costco.......rotisserie chicken, potato salad, and pie for dessert?
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I bet Donna has that pie Covered!
              just got back from Redding and what i
              did not spend at Kohl’s and Macy’s I spent at Bath and Body Works$$$
              no ! Needed$$$
              but my house will smell welcoming and I have the midterm exam gift boxes started!

Comment

Hello! I got to sleep in until 7:30 this morning, then my feet hit the floor running. I was just going to work this morning & then relax the rest of the day....riiiiiiiiiight. Didn't happen.

I thought I'd just work in the morning. Sue came to roll pie dough since she's going to be on vacation Wed thru next Thur. She'll get enough shells rolled btw today & tomorrow to get me through this week. Don't know how I'll do next week. I baked carrot cakes. I tried using up most of my bits of filling and told Linda those will be for Tues pies. Guess who called at 1130 and was out of pies already today? Took the 5 I had for tomorrow down there. While there Lew loaded up the bushel of peaches I was buying to freeze. Great! There went my afternoon plans of relaxing.

I was just finishing up my peaches, and Aunt Janet popped in to see if I had a spare peach pie. Well since I took all my pies down to the stand, there was nothing made up ahead. I assembled a pie for her to take home & bake herself. That'll be really fresh pie. Just got done assembling 5 more pies for the stand for tomorrow...again. I swore I wasn't going to do that, but I can't help myself.

Only a few more weeks of this craziness.

Have a good one all!

Comment

Lucky Aunt Maye!
                  Dont be surprised to find all of us in line at your house tomorrow morning, Cookie!
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                  X