Saturday, August 24, 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday, August 24, 2019

Good morning Rounders! Hope all of you are having a good weekend. Beth, I'm so sorry you have to work. What a bummer!

I got some real clean up work done in the garden yesterday, but I'm not finished. I finally pulled out my dead Blueberry Bushes. Yep, they died back in the spring when dh had his surgery and I couldn't hand water often enough. They were not bearing any fruit after two years, plus they were struggling to stay alive. No more trying to grow my own fruit. I'll be content to buy them at Aldi's in the spring.

I turned my compost pile, I reset some of my stepping stones in the garden and I moved almost all of my Blue Bedder Salvia plants. They will need to be watered again this morning. I turned the irrigation system back on and it will go off this morning, but that area is where the Blueberry Bushes were located and the water does not get over there.

I have 4 tomato plants set out and they are growing, but I may have to pot them up before the first frost, which is sometime in November or cover them with a cloche. I will start saving my milk jugs and make cloche's out of them. Who knows whether or not I'll get tomatoes, but it's worth a try. I sure didn't have a bit of luck when I sowed those seeds in the spring.

My arm is still sore from using the weedeater. Peace & Plenty.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good morning! Karlinann how do you do all that with a sore leg? This is the most persistent, driven lot of people I have ever seen. Thank goodness I am grounded and keep the balance for this group. Someone has to sit around and worry about you all.

Yesterday I made my return then went to Bath and Body and spent a fortune on fall smells for the plug ins. Right now I have Ivy and Rose scent in and it is sweet and pleasant. Hope it makes all who enter forget about the dirt and concentrate on how nice it smells. I did clean a bit yesterday but really need to do a deep cleaning and touch up painting. Laundry is caught up but a pile of ironing is waiting. I don't mind doing that. I read about Karlinann and the rest of you busy ladies and feel so lazy sometimes. I used to do all that...honest! I was once a go getter. Maybe I should eat less cake and more red meat. Or geritol! I see what needs doing and want to do it then I think tomorrow is another day so why overdo today, so maybe I am not that far gone? I do not like getting old and think I really should have more energy than I do. I hate this getting old stuff..ya know?

Been reading the Rooster Bar finally. Will finish it up this afternoon. My sister brought a couple of books last I saw her so have plenty of material to read. We do need a shopping trip because I cannot get yarn around here. I guess people order it..I dunno. This is not the Alaskan outback for goodness sakes...did get my coffee order yesterday from Amazon and have both my sister's and Sierra's bday gifts ordered. However, Jon has the next bday...from now until Christmas we are bday crazy in this family. Very poor planning!! LOL!

Cardinals are playing this afternoon so will have something to do while reading or ironing. My so called guest room is turning into a dump room and I need to get that finished. The corner neighbor is spray painting her porch furniture and power washing the house and cleaning up the planting areas, all things I would have done this spring so maybe she is moving? Been very quiet in this neighborhood. I like it that way...an occasional wave is all the socializing I need. Hey, I smile when I wave!

Well that cake is calling and I need more coffee. Still pretty early here...not 8:00 yet but sun is shining in and temps in the 80s for a couple of days. Nice! Have a great day everyone.

Comment

Good morning..I had not intentions of being awake just yet. I got a 7am text and now have a cat on me.

I will go to work at 10:45. I work 11-7 today and tomorrow

Comment

• maxie
        maxie commented
        Editing a comment
        Then are you off Monday Beth? Surely you are not going to work without a day off!

Maxie my first days off will be next Saturday and Sunday

Comment

• maxie
        maxie commented
        Editing a comment
        so you worked 5 days last week, doubles on the weekend and then the entire week next? That is a lot of mandated hours! But on the other hand that will be one heck of a paycheck...

good morning! I am on my phone and will possibly be shopping for a new computer if Becky can’t get mine to start back up. We had to pull the plug to get it to turn off!

I will be leaving to buy the cake, get gas and drive through the car wash and then go to the funeral.

I will I’ll be glad when grad school

officially starts! Stress and anxiety abound even though the orientation was yesterday and she said it was great.

Maxie, we did not plan well, either! Between the start of school ( 4 kids and a teacher dad to buy for) then 4 kids’ birthdays between Oct and Dec then Christmas and finally, Jan 5, Gary’s birthday! Poor guy got more coupons for back rubs than actual gifts!
      my parents used to send a check for us and the kuds’ Christmas which I used all on the kids!
      when I started doing daycare our “planning” got much better!

I put off for tomorrow everything I can! Which does not always work well for me, but somehow works out.

karlinann, I have some yard work to get done. I noticed a lot of leaves piled up against the fence: After I took a picture of my grapevine growing up the tree and posted it! Now I need to clean up that area and Delete the photo!
      And the roses need trimming because all bloomed and now All need to have the old blooms cut back. After my nail appointment I am putting on my swimsuit and working on these two yard projects and cooling off as needed!

Beth, I hope you enjoy the change in schedule and have fun with the big paycheck!

Have a great Saturday!p

Comment

Good morning everyone.

Got all the windows caulked Thursday. Then started in on cleaning the fence row yesterdat. It has so many small pieces of wood from the crappy wood fence she had between the neighbor and her. Also a lot of small to medium rocks. Have it cleaned about halfway. Hope to clean the other half today. If not, then that will be first on the list for Monday.

Monday I really want to sprey paint the rest of the medal panels underside of the overhang. I got the porch area painted last Monday, and it really looks nice, compared to what it had looked.

My SIL said something about going to Auburn today to see the parade, and the old cars. Auburn is where the Duesenburg was made back in the day.

Paula, did you ever unscrew that drain plate to get the drain cleaned out?

Maxie, I am glad you are taking care of my resting. Someone sure needs to.

Time for me to get a shower and make my bed. Everyone have a great day.

Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

• maxie
          maxie commented
          Editing a comment
          Always willing to help out where I can..hehe...
          Hope you are wearing gloves . That snake thing Karlinann was telling about really is in my mind.

Good morning...
        I am not ready to be up yet, either. But I can’t sleep, and can’t just lay in bed all day. I got only 4 hours sleep again last night, so tonight I’ll start taking my melatonin tablets again. They afford me a couple more hours of rest.

Yesterday I had a nice visit with DD #4. She brought me a couple things from the store that I needed. I don’t see her too often, but we have been growing closer. She is becoming a full fledged nurse, but right now is more like a hospice nurse. She is going to take me shopping for clothes next weekend. And she’s borrowing a wheelchair for her own piece of mind to cart me around the stores. OK, I have slowed down, and tire more easily these days, but I can walk. But she wants to take care of Mom, and isn’t taking chances on the effects of the heat if it gets too hot out. I can’t argue with that.

Today, no particular plans. I have some picking up to do.
        I wonder if there will be any sale tables downstairs today. A couple of ladies come around, about once a month, and have some very lovely jewelry. Discounted for seniors. Some ladies come with lotions, makeups (I don’t wear makeup), and such. Interesting to look at.

Oh, I got a really nice compliment on my hair the other day. One of the ladies I lunch with asked if my hair color is my natural color! (Yes, it’s my own hair color!). I think of it as “salt and pepper”, as it’s a mixture of dark and silver (not white). The silver is now looking like streaks. Like the “sun kissed” highlights many women get these days. It’s more noticeable when I “finger comb” my hair. So both ladies said it looked like the hairdresser colored it, and they like the color. So I’m not sure if they believed me or not, but it doesn’t matter to me if they do or not. They can ask the in-house hairdresser I use.

A few white clouds floating around outside. Sure doesn’t look like a chance of rain to me! It will be only 102° today (of course the thermometers will start rising again tomorrow). It may be a good day to venture outside for a bit. I’ll put my Kindle into my walker. Hmmmmm. The mountains look a bit hazy, so air quality is affected. I’ll take an allergy pill before I go out.

Hoping you all have an awesome day. You, too, Beth, in spite of having to work. Smile a lot and make today work for you! ☀️

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Paula, as I’m going through various old books, I’m finding flower petals and leaves that I sandwiched between wax paper.
          these I can arrange into designs and glue on blank card stock, to send to some people who appreciate such things.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

love that pressed flower design! I read a magazine article on Princess Grace a long time ago describing her hobby of pressing petals and then creating designs. I found some pillowcases that used her flower creations!
            My grandmother would always send us pressed blossoms from her fruit trees and the wild violets and other wildflowers when I was growing up.
            Such a nice memory you brought up, Jo!

Jostoy, I did!! I would brag to my friends but afraid they might judge me or ask how bad it was
            With Becky’s long hair it will now be a part of my monthly deep clean list!
            thanks for telling me it was safe to do, Jostoy!

Comment

hey , I'm still here.

all of me is moving a lot slower these days... especially my brain cells.. they are pulling tricks of forgetting on me... dang nuisance not remembering where you put things.. or look at the computer and think,, 'how does this darn thing work?"... my daily Prayer is: .Please let me keep my mind.... DAvid needs me to be able to handle the house and all the paper ,banking work that goes with being in charge.

Maxie, I will join you ,,, together we can worry twice as much about our friends here... they can ask for our advice , and we can share all the wisdom we have stored up...( if I can remember any of it.)...

a word of advice... to all you Younger than me.... write down you favorite recipes and food you make.. you will be surprised, shocked when you can't remember it . like a meatloaf you can whip together now.. .. thank heavens for recipe files I have made over the years. of my own versions of Barley soup.. special potato soup..etc..

time to grab a book (library ,due this next Tues).. and get reading .. hugs to all.

Comment

Hey, Maye...
                You and D are often in my thoughts.

I have slowed a lot, too. I am missing E’s assistance in so many things. But I have the basic tools on hand to do more for myself. If that fails, I can call one of the kids.
                But he said he really enjoyed being my “Help-Mate”.

In Senior Living, you do as much or little as you want. We have a gizmo to wear that we can press a button to get emergency help, should you need it. I cook only if I don’t like anything on the menu. I don’t often want fried meats, or stuff with sauce, with expected hot spices, processed meats, or just heavy carbs in every choice. I get housekeeping services twice a month, no extra charge. I’ve got most of the paperwork —— legal stuff —— done, but occasionally something else pops up.

Life totally changes at this stage, doesn’t it.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X