Thursday, August 22

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday, August 22

Good morning Rounders! A lot has happened since I last wrote a post on this forum. My dh had a very bad earache which turned out to be a very bad ear infection after I grilled him about going to the doctor for goodness sakes. He finally did and where he had been using the Ear Wax Removal and then digging in his ears with Q-Tips afterwards he caused a severe ear infection. His ear canal was barely open with all the swelling. He is much better now. He lost hearing almost completely for over a week.

My first knee injection hurt so bad, but I had marked improvement in my walking. I was able to walk better, but it still hurt really bad when those 2 bones touched and my walking was still very poor, but I was no longer dragging that leg. Yippee! I just had the 2nd injection this past Tuesday and it didn't hurt as much plus I am doing much better on the walking. I still have the pain whenever those bones touch, but he said I'd always have that. He is a very good doctor and I'm so glad I went back to see him and get these injections. He said he treats Sciatica and back pain. I will see him for a F/U visit in 7 wks and we will talk about the Sciatica because my hip still locks up and I want to know why.

It has rained almost every single day here and the grass got so big that I had to use the weedeater to mow it. That thing is heavy, but we ran out of gas and I was afraid if I didn't get it cut the grass would have damaged the mower when we did get gas. DH finally got the gas yesterday and now when I go to mow again it will be a breeze. Who am I kidding, it's never a breeze. It's hot, humid, and intolerable here. I've been hiding out in the a/c except for the early mornings. I've been pulling weeds, pulling grass, transplanting plants, and tidying up the garden beds.

I have been educating myself on the NGA site. I just discovered that I have Boston Ferns, or Sword Ferns growing in my garden. They were here when we bought the place and in this zone they live year round and can tolerate the sun. Amazing! I also learned about Cicada's and Copperheads. If you are snake squeamish stop reading.

Herpetologists have proven that when the Cicada's sing in the evening, when they start coming up out of the ground and going up the Oak trees, that the Copperhead snakes make a beeline to the Oak trees. They eat the Cicada's just as they are emerging from the ground and just getting their wings. Apparently they have observed some trees in Texas and have documented sightings of 34 at a time. Whenever the Cicada's are gone, the snakes leave. This is fact and I have a Live Oak in my backyard and yesterday evening I heard the Cicada's making that loud noise. I practically ran back inside.

I have learned so much about the types of plants I have in my yard. Whoever landscaped this place did a fantastic job. I still have some mystery plants that I have not identified yet, but they will keep.

I've had the irrigation turned off for a month and a half and our water bill went down $30 this month. $$Savings I like.

My Bank is looking great and I've done so much work on it for the past month. I go out religiously every morning if I don't have an appt. and work until the sun gets up. I'm only able to do this for short periods some days because of my knee. It still has a way to go, but I'm hopeful. Oh, and btw, that girl who was the receptionist at the PM doc's office is no longer the Receptionist, but still works there. I have seen her, but they have another gal at the front desk and what an improvement! Egads, it's like daylight and dark, the difference!

I've written a book. Peace & Plenty.

"Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good SUNNY Morning! And a wonderful book to read KA!!! Good to see you! And you too Jostoy!!!

Nothing new here as far as being busy & baking. Yesterday's one goal was to get that cruise ship cake assembled & the crumb coat put on it. Now I had 3 half sheet cakes made & in the freezer. Would you believe it wasn't enough!?!? So we cut the pieces we could & put them all back into the freezer. I then went to DG and got 3 more cake mixes & made another half sheet cake. I could have made just a 9x13, but I was afraid it wouldn't have been the same width & height. Better safe than sorry. Got that cake mixed & baked & into the freezer.

Spent the rest of the afternoon and evening assembling pies for Friday & Saturday. Made one mistake. Put the lids on the red raspberry filling too soon & when I took the lid off to use some of it, it was fermenting. Well there went about $15 worth of filling. Pitched it all. No sense losing sleep over it. I just kept making pies until I ran out of the fillings I needed. I now need to make fillings for the rest of Saturday's pies & all of Sunday's. Normally I would be doing Saturday's pies today, but I wanted to get ahead so that today could be devoted to that cake. I just want to get it done & out of here. Will definitely be taking pics.

Today is Blaise's 4th grade orientation. It's the Intermediate school, which is a new school for the 4th graders. Blaise & I are going to meet Kathy there. I'm going in with them for a bit & then leaving. Kathy can manage. She has to learn to do this stuff. She wants to be involved, then I'm going to let her. I'm really ready for her to take custody of him even though I don't think they are ready totally, but who is completely ready when they have a child? I'm tired of being her safety net. She's 25, and she needs to step up and be the parent.

Well, back to work. I do stop here several times and day on my "breaks" and see what you all are up to. Please post. Bethina, it'll sort itself all out, just smile, do your thing, and keep praying. God can handle it. Paula...I don't know how you do it all with all those kids. Nope, not my thing for sure!!!! Guess we all have our own "thing" and that's what makes the world go around. JoG...glad things are getting sorted out for you. It's wonderful hearing about the kids coming around. They've really stepped up and doing what I thought they should have been doing for years. Makes my heart happy to hear all this.

Timer going off...have a good one all!

Comment

Morning...such a newsy morning ladies. So good to see you Karlinann. Wish I had time to write a proper response. I have a doctors appointment then my hair gal called yesterday and could I come in today....well you know I can go anywhere at anytime to get this head cut! So immediately after doctor I am getting a hair cut. Need to get a pot of spaghetti sauce on yet before I leave. Sierra and her bf are coming today for supper to celebrate Andrew's birthday. Yesterday he drug us to a pizza place I hate and I suffered last night. Then he was to full of pizza to eat his ice cream cookie cake...I also do not like ice cream cakes so today I will buy a real cake. Wish we had a bakery around here. Can you believe there is not a bakery, even a crappy one, in this entire area? Jon is off today so he can handle watching the sauce and picking up the kitchen.

Anyway I am running way late but wanted to check in. I will be home later this afternoon and not have any time. Darn it Beth, Cards lost in a rain shortened game last night and heard Cubbies won. But we will take the lead back! Only like 36 games left in the season.

Have a great day and hope this makes some sense.

Comment

Good morning..I think I may be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It’s still a a ways off but it’s there!! Yesterday was way better! It was freshman move in day lots and lots of kids and parents! Any ways instead of having the Asian station open. Chef shut the new station down and opened to identical comfort stations. That helped deal with the crowds. The new station will open back up Monday. When the 2nd cafeteria opens things will calm down. By Friday there will 1000 kids on campus. We are the only cafeteria open until Monday. The new schedule for next week came out yesterday. This week alone I have to work 2 double shifts on Saturday and Sunday. The Monday thru Friday may schedule is normal. Next Saturday I may not get out of bed!

I am super excited for the huge check! I a couple of birthdays to buy gifts for and I want to take my sis out for coffee.

have a good day everyone!

Comment

Good morning all.

Wow, sounds like everyone will be busy today. Me.....well I MAY start on the windows.

This evening my SIL and I will be going to the outside theater to hear Vince Gill. She really likes his singing. Me I heard him and saw him in Nashville before he became popular. I guess he's alright, but he is one of those that I can take or leave.

I'm a little "loony" this morning due to my meds that I take for essential tremors. I started on 200 mg last Sunday and I guess the build-up has caught up with me. The Nuerologist wants me at 250 3x a day, but don't know if I'm going to handle that much meds. Time will tell I guess.

Nothing else going on here at this household so will bid you all a good day.
          Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

• Paula A
            Paula A commented
            Editing a comment
            Enjoy the concert!

Well, good morning to all! Karlinann, good to see you back and all that is going well with you. Watch out for those snakes!

Beth, your campus sounds like it is getting busy like chico's is. Becky said this week there is so much more traffic and a lot of moving vans! Students with moving vans and parents! When our kids went to school it was with a car filled with stuff and a trip to Target when they got there. No moving van, for Heaven's sake! Becky said there are a lot of Bay area and So Cal students and the difference in life style is pretty apparent. Her classes start next week.

Donna, I am stillnot sure where I am buying the cupcakes for the baby shower, yet. The one I thought I would buy form has not answered my message even with her mother saying she would text her...and the bakery that won on Cake Wars (where I bought Becky's graduation cake) is a little too expensive for a large shower...and it doesn't help that I don't know exactly how many will actually be at theshower. An open invitation at church and at her school, so it may be a cake??? I am just still deciding. Good friends deserve something good and this is the baby who was a surprise adoption.

And then the funeral dessert is this Saturday. Another friend is doing the same and buying a large cake. Neither of us has time to run to costoc and that is my first choice for a store bought cake...It is a dilemma: drive up to Costco after aycare on Friday and buy the cake (really good price for a half sheet cake) or buy the same size at the grocery bakery and at twice the price or make half sheet cake. Tiem kis just not one of the things I have this week. I have a meeting tonight. Boy, do I need a helper ontimes like this!

I was writing on a family site my memories of my maternal grandmother (Nana) and was well into it and it all of a sudden went to computer gibberish and disappeared! I am tryingto record memories to go with some of the photos we are uploading because I realized my kids hear me talk about my grandparents but nothing much is written down. We are always saying, I wish I had paid more attention when So and So was telling me about...so I am trying to write a few things down. I asked my mom to find a letter Nana had written (she typed and her typewriter had a distinctive set) and I want to upload a copy...My mom keeps way too many things but recently I have been kind of happy when she has found old pictures that illustrate some of the things I have been telling my kids about.

The school sounds interesting and you have a good plan to be with Kathy and Blaise and then slip out. 4thgrade canbe such fun and if the parent gets into it the child will be so much better for it. Hope it all works well for you!

Ok, I have written way too much, but just enjoy sitting here with you all!
          Have a wonderful day and take care of the hurts and the pains!

Comment

Good morning.
            Today will get only to 109°, and dropping to slightly cooler days ahead (although still triple digits).
            Today I’ll be free enough to get my laundry done. The machines are awfully slow, so I’ll take my Kindle along. I hope everyone else is preparing for the weekend, and not around the laundry room.

I see on TV we have another brush fire, not terribly far from us. It’s in the Mesa area, and 200 acres have been burned. They showed on tv it’s in undeveloped land, so people and homes haven’t been destroyed. The smoke had I-17 closed for a time.

Founders Day (does anyone really observe that day?) the Grand Canyon is open, and there will be no admission fees for that day. They expect large crowds. I will say the view is fantastic from any angle, whichever entrance you use. I hope the visitors stay away from the edges. Many people taking their “perfect selfie shot” have fallen over those edges.

Karlinann, it’s good to have you back. I enjoyed what you learned about the chicadas and snakes. They’re also in Texas as well as here. My niece saw a 2-1/2 foot rattlesnake rattling outside her back door, so nephew got his rifle and shot it. They are near undeveloped land. No doubt they get chicadas as well.

Cookie, sorry about the ruined pie filling. Yes, it’s time Kathy gets a chance to exercise her mom-skills, whatever they are. But you took the most important years of raising her son, so he is bound to be okay with her now. I’m getting a craving for pie now, just thinking of all your baking.

Maxie, I like how your family can make a birthday last for a week!
            I think I missed my birthday this year....at least I don’t recall the day at all. Oh yeah, we were busy packing up the house. (Which, by the way, the buyers finally signed all the final papers just a couple of days ago.).

Beth, your job will get easier with time. I hope you start feeling better about it soon. It’s a matter of getting used to the change, so just go with the flow of it.

It is time for me to deal with breakfast.

Wishing you all an amazing day! And if you spot somewhere where those rain clouds hide, please send them our way. ☀️

Wow....so many of us typing together!
            Beth, things are sounding better for you. Good!
            Hi Jostoy.
            Paula, I should have you come here to go through my photos with me. I swear it will take me more than a month to just sort them. Whatever I had, the kids missed them all together in the packing of them.
            ​​​​​​.
            Last edited by JoGee; 08-22-2019, 09:23 AM.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

ah I'm back

where does the time go when you aren't really doing anything?..... although care- minder of this elderly old gent I live with takes a lot time.. I just start to do something and he calls me...
              we did get out to the grocery store yesterday..loaded up on necessary items.. .
              I sure do get tired these days... hey, this getting old is no fun, it's hard work......my chief recreation these days is making grease balls for Donna.... they do not argue back , or compete with each other... ha.ha..

so good to read all the news of all of you.
              JoG. 109 temp... I cant even imagine it... 90's are my limit..
              special Hi to you all.. hopefully get back in later

Comment

Working...
              X