Tuesday, July 09

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday, July 09

Good morning Rounders! It's good to be back in cyberspace. Wow! I hope that does not happen again anytime soon.

Well we got another good drenching rain storm last evening. I'm glad I mowed the lawn yesterday cuz it will grow like crazy this week. According to the weather we will have rain for the next week.

I made meatloaf for our dinner, along with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. Yum! Hey, Beth, thanks for the reminder of how to wrap. I make tacos all the time and that will help me to wrap it up. My daughter taught me how to wrap several years ago, but I had forgotten the trick. Thank you.

JoGee, I'm so sorry about the food at that place. It's too bad they can't have more menu options for folks. I hope it gets better for you dear.

I worked up a storm yesterday so today I will take it easy. I'm already working on a new puzzle and it's fun. You don't know how much you miss tv and playing games on the computer until you don't have it. I even let dh keep the news on while we ate dinner cuz we had been deprived on the weekend. LOL!

Jostoy, glad your place is taking shape, but you be careful. Take good care of yourself.

I'm off to get another cup and some food. Pancakes, or grits & bacon? Hmm!

Peace & Plenty.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good SUNNY Morning! Yesterday was a gorgeous summer day.

I don't know what happen to my week of having nothing to do, but it sure has filled in. Booger! Oh well, I'm thankful I have the time & energy to do it all.

Yesterday morning I spent making pie dough & fillings, then rolling out and baking 3 pies. Two were going to Mel's, and one just a bit down the road to a friend of my Aunt P's. Delivered Pat's first. Was talking to her & she said she'd never had one of these kinds of pies. I ask...mine or blueberry? She said she didn't order blueberry, but rather bumble berry. Oops! Aunt P told me BB. Well Mel just so happen to order a Bumbleberry, so I swapped pies. Mel was fine having a BB. One they've never had before. Who knows, it may become a favorite too.

Came home & got Blaise hustling, and we headed into town to grocery shop. Told him we'd divide & concur the long list, which we did. We had to go to Aldi's & Sharp Shoppers. Got blessed at SS. There were a couple bags of dinged apples, and 5 bags of lemons on the reduced rack. Both are expensive. I take any break I can get. My SIL had pulled in to go swimming as we were leaving, and she was still here when we got back. We got all the groceries in the house, and I went down to swim with her for an hour. Nice break. After she left I sorted thru the groceries & got them put away. Quit a bit of it was for the homeless shelter meal we are going to prep for on Saturday at church. Going to have grilled hamburgers, pasta salad w/meat & cheese, baked beans, deviled eggs, pineapple dream salad, watermelon, and cookies. We normally don't have a dessert salad of sorts, but it was so good on the 4th of July when I made it, that I thought they'd enjoy it too. Now I'm not going to worry whether it's going to be enough for 80 servings. We are going to make a quadruple recipe, and it'll be what it'll be. Not everyone will want some and when it runs out, it runs out. Some people would worry about such a thing, but I don't. There will be plenty of food, and nobody will go hungry. I promise.

Blaise & I went out during the evening and picked black raspberries. I'll be lucky if I get enough to bake one 9" pie when it's all said & done, but I'll still be happy. A section of the berries weren't there this year.

Today I've got to make 8 or 10 PB pies. I got the oreo crumbs made & put into the pans, but that's as far as it went last night. This morning I'll make & bake the crusts, then make & fill them with the PB filling. I made 4 on Saturday, and by the end of Sunday they were all gone. Popular pie. Try to have a good supply of them in my freezer. Then it's onto shaping and grilling 80 hamburgers for Sunday. I'll freeze them, and they'll reheat them on Sunday. Need to roll out the rest of the pie dough I made yesterday, and zest & juice the lemons. That's my day. Blaise has been asking for his friend Lawrence to come over. If he does, I'll have to take a break and take them down to the pool for an hour or so. At least there is no karate this week, so I don't have to do that running too. Kathy finally text me yesterday, and I guess she's going to get Blaise Thurs afternoon, and keep him until Monday morning when she'll take him to VBS. I'll pick him up afterwards at noon.

KA...I just learned something new or forgot...you have a daughter? Just one? Where does she live? Do you see her very often? Good to have you back. Now if we'd just get bake a few of our other friends who are MIA.

Have a good one all!

Comment

• karlinann
      karlinann commented
      Editing a comment
      We are estranged. Her choice, not mine. I just died inside the day she told me.

• Paula A
      Paula A commented
      Editing a comment
      So sorry, Karlinann!

Good morning...I have been up since 6:00 a friend is on vacation. I think she forgot the time change. Then just as I was falling back to sleep phone went off again.

Today I am having coffee with a friend. I am not sure what else I am doing today.

karilann I found spinach wraps at Aldi I will let you know how they taste later. Also while at Aldi I picked up a package of Bratwurst boy are they good. I ate two yesterday and have enough for 2 more meals.

Comment

Morning..going to be another warm/hot day. Temps are not that high but the humidity has been. Karlinann knows all about humidity! Florida is the capital!!!

After coming here for my coffee break yesterday I actually did nothing else. There may be more of that for all of today. I see a store list has been started and when you see milk of the list that means the last drop is gone...I'll need to check. But that will be all I do. For some reason my joints are aching plus I have had a naggy headache. Not the kind of headache that stops you from doing anything but the type that when you stop you know it is there. Feels like pressure of some sort. Probably an alien plot to get me. Don't need to plot, just whisper in my ear to sit and do nothing and I will comply!!

Have more ironing..I was really behind. Cookie, shoes! You are a hoot! I never take my shoes off...EVER! I normally wear Clark sandals and they are so comfy, or my Nike slides. The family laughs at me because on the pool deck I will wear my shoes right up to the water. I am barefoot only in bed or in water. I love vacations but hate hotel floors...and bedspreads! The first thing I whip off when I get home is the bra. What torture and we were right to burn those things. Have you noticed they have not gotten any more comfortable after all these years?

Ok, now that you are grossed out I will go on and start my day with another cup of coffee. Kids had some mini oreos left from Saturday so I should put them away in a safe spot like my tummy. They are so yum with a cup of coffee. I should cook something tonight but that is still up in the air...not feeling it. Enjoy that rain Karlinann. Never thought I would wish for rain! Watering nightly does not do what a good rain shower does. Cookie, glad you are jumping in the pool when you can. Jon does that and he enjoys it.

Have a wonderful day everyone!! Happy Birthday Paula...just saw it on Facebook so thank your daughter for telling us...
      Last edited by maxie; 07-09-2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• cookielady
        cookielady commented
        Editing a comment
        I figured that's what it was. Actually I kick off my shoes when I come in...not for being neat reasons though...and head for my bedroom & off comes the bra & a comfy shirt goes on. I hate shoes, but I have to wear them when baking a lot or my feet & back kills me. It's all the weight from my heavy brain matter pushing downward. LOL! I grew up barefoot in the summer, but neither one of my brothers liked going barefoot. Strange! Oh funny thing, if I don't make it to my bedroom & suddenly feel uncomfortable, off comes the sling shot and you'll find it over a chair. I rarely get company, so I don't worry.

The posts this morning have so much of my attention! Something to reply to all.
      Maxie, thanks and I willk tell her, but I was not happy about the photo she chose but she liked it, so I will suck it up. We are going out to eat this evening and it is my brother's last full day here. He leaves tomorrow and has been a real help with my mom and around here, too.
      Becky got me a new pair of Clark's sandals for my birthday. they are my favorites! I also never go barefoot if I can help it! Tile floors are not comfy and outside is just not a choice. I wear my flip flops to the pool and they are right there at the top by the steps for me waiting...
      About that other piece of clothing: we were in Boston on a Fall foliage tour and the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night! I grabbed my bra before I my shoes! No way was I leaving that room without it! Enough said...

Beth, I love the different flavors of wraps. I have had a spicy tomato wrap with Hawaiian pork and a super wonderful sauce that I had once in Utah and have not figured out how to duplicate it. One of those food items that just makes me want to go back just for it! I choose spinach when it is offered although not much difference in taste. I don't even question how "low carb" they are when stated; I just order one! Our deli of choice (only one) offers any sandwich made as a wrap besides in a regular bread. I now use that as my permission to go there.

donna, that is a great menu for the shelter! they will feel like they are at a family reunion or pot luck and I bet you wil lget lots of thanks for it. So nice when food is offered with that kind of thought and sentiment to those who have so few choices.

I had a noise headache yesterday. One 2 year old likes to make a high shrill shriek and it goes right through my skull. A few of those and my head starts to react...luckily, he didn't do it until the end of the day and then I was at the hair salon relaxing and it went away.

So today is cooler and last night's power outage (planned) was not as long as they said it could be. I knew the dogs would wake meup in time and they did, so we are on schedule with the clocks all back to normal. I had bags and bottles of ice in the refrigerator and freezer just in case.

My brother made potato bread again yesterday, and it is so good! It will be easier to stay on my diet with him going home, that is for sure.
      He will be back intime to visit with Spencer and his family. Hal, my middle grandson, turns 11 today. born on my birthday and now that thye are in the US, we actually celebrate it on the sam eday. When they were in Japan we always had to remember to call on our 8th to talk on his 9th!

Jo, I hope the food/menu works out for you. I am sure you are paying a good fee for the new place. And good that you have a way to cook something for yourself, too!

Maye, I hope you are still enjoying your family visiting. I know I am in my Happy Place when I am with my kids. So happy that Becky lives here! Not sure where she will land after grad school.

Take are all and enjoy your day!

Comment

Good morning.
        I think I’ll meander down to the hair salon this morning and see if they are busy.
        I had oatmeal for breakfast, I like a leisurely breakfast in my pj’s before I start the day. I have strawberries to snack on during the day.

On days I find the menu unpalatable, I do have alternatives in my kitchenette. Eggs for protein, and veggies, fruits, and a couple of dinners in the freezer. Not to mention bread and egos. PB & J. Cereal. Milk, mocha, and tea.
        Apparently before the new month begins, when the chefs put together the menus for the new month, if someone has suggestions they can join in the meetings and share their preferences. I would really like one of the 3 daily menus to feature a very simple menu. No fancy spices, sauces, or foreign adjectives in its name.....and please cut back on the sodium. My ankles hurt when they swell up.
        The wealthier couples or women are welcome to the sauced, spiced, speciality dishes served with their wines. Us peons, I’m sure, would enjoy simple Mac & cheese without jalapeño, and other simple fare. And foods that taste like exactly what they are....and maybe a pat of butter on those dry veggies.

Today ill I’ll be on the phone again (hopefully after a haircut), and hope to find a doctor or two. I’ve got to watch my health. Didn’t get through to my doc for a referral, but that’s what “good” nurses do for their doctor. They eliminate “extra work” for them. I only had one question, and the doctor will never know. I tried to get through online through my hospital link, but they were having computer problems, and those lines were inaccessible. Oh well. One more hurdle to jump.

So thats that.
        One of these days I will have all my ducks in a row, and life will be easier. I should be hearing from my realtor soon.
        Hope the house sells quickly. He assured me it had many fine selling points. Including the fact the entire inside of the house is a neutral white color. (E didn’t want any color on the walls. I’d have happily done it myself, I love painting! But he wouldn’t hear of it. He thought it was the guy’s job, and he didn’t like painting much less yard work. I liked both.)
        oh well. No matter any more. Funny thing....this apartment is neutral white, too. It makes the rooms look larger.

Well, I hear the hens coming back from breakfast. Guess I’ ll go downstairs and see if the hair salon is open yet.

hope you have a great day. ☀️

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

• karlinann
          karlinann commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm ROTFLOL!

Guess what? It's raining again.

Well, I met the lady in charge of the menus! We talked. I can ask them not to give me sauces, or whatever, as the meats are not cooked in them. Good to know. She will talk to them about the burnt and greasy offerings. I’m assured that they don’t add any salt to foods, however soup base stuff (must be “Better than Bouillon”) is pretty high in sodium which they can’t control. [They could if they switched to regular bouillon, but I was already ahead and thought I’d leave it alone .... for now.]
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Jo, I was LOL at your comment about the Hens!

I have been thinking about all the stuff in your posts about that facility you moved to and it is starting to really concern me. You don't sound happy dear, and I am all about staying out of people's personal space, but I'm worried about your well-being.

Are you in a contract? Sweetie, why pay that high price for a place to live when you cannot eat the food. My MIL lived at a place like that in PA after my FIL died and she was miserable. She didn't eat in the dining room because the food was rich and spicy and gourmet and not what she liked or was used to. She ate bkfst and lunch in her room. She gained a bunch of weight and her health deteriorated very fast.

Now Jo, you are a smart woman and I know you are going to take good care of yourself. After you see your pcp maybe you can get him to order you a special diet and present it to the chef and ask if they can accommodate you for that evening meal. It would be worth a try. I'm sure they have gotten such requests before from people.

Talk it over with your daughters and put your heads together on it. You never know what miracles may come.
          "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Thanks, Karlinann.
            In general, the food here isn’t all bad. A few unpleasant surprises sometimes, is more annoying than anything. As I said, I did talk to the director who is in charge of menus. She is giving them what-for on a couple major things.
            We will be seeing how it turns out for next week.

yes, I’m under contract here. It turns out they have one of the lowest cost around. Plus there were a couple of major discounts at the start. The people mostly are pleasant, some keep to themselves. At lunch today a Romanian woman with broken English joined me. I learned some about Romania, it’s hardships, how cold it is in that area of Europa. She was nice, and I hope we meet again soon.
            On the way out, I asked another woman with a wheeled walker if she wanted to race. She declined, and people around us chuckled.

my next door neighbor, I found her gathering my mail. Sodd, because she gets identical mail at her door. I think of her, sardonically, as Miss Sunshine. She’s the one who has incessant complaints. She locked herself in her room for a week cussing out the TV hookup service. She owes them $4, and refuses to pay it. Her choice. We were supposed to meet at one o’clock for lunch, but she ate earlier with someone else, then locked herself in her room to sulk and nap. Oh, yes she gave me my mail. It’s the senior’s resident mail at our door. We go downstairs to get the USPS mail. But I decided no matter what quick trip I have, I’m keeping my door locked. Sunshine says she’s surprised someone hasn’t stolen any fairies. Hey, it is evident that nobody bothers anyone’s doorside displays. I have a prominent 1” Kokopelli figurine that nobody has touched. I told Sunshine we could have lunch tomorrow. And left.

My daughters would have done what I did. The key is to find a polite way to broach the subject, though they’d be just a bit more forceful. I don’t want to make enemies among the staff. So speak softly....and carry a big stick. right? And my girls have already done so much. They need a break.
            Its not that I’m unhappy here. I’m just still feeling tired after the stresses of moving. And I can’t find some things that were packed. Under other circumstances I’d find it funny the way kids took items and dumped them in unrelated boxes.
            They really did dig in and made the progress quicker.
            They did good, overall.
            And I’ll perk up soon.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X