Thursday, 4th of July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday, 4th of July

Good morning Rounders! I'm up. Happy 4th of July. I have not heard a single firecracker yet.

I rested up yesterday and feel much better. We had the thunder and lightening again and not a drop.

Did you know that you can count between strikes of lightening and determine how many miles away a storm is? I just found that out by reading this Louise Penny book. Every second counts as a mile. One one thousand, two one thousand.

Aldi's has the wet and dry cloths that fit the Swiffer mop on their shelves again, but they jacked up the price quite a bit. I can get them at Publix for less.

Today we're having Hamburgers & Fries, Hot Dogs, Potato Salad, and Coleslaw. Yes, I broke down and bought them at Aldi's. I got a different kind of Potato Salad this time and I can doctor up the Coleslaw. It's a win-win! I don't have to stand in there and cook.

One load of laundry today and maybe dust the furniture. We'll see.

Y'all have a wonderful 4th. Peace & Plenty.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good morning and Happy Fourth of July! Going to be hot with spot storms again. Yesterday the temps dropped 10* but we did not get any rain. It was nice to get the temp drop and hear the thunder in the distance. Same forecast for today.

No plans for today and will stay curled up in my chair watching the St. Louis parade and an afternoon ballgame. Not cooking. Yesterday we tried the new Italian restaurant. Jon loved his and people were raving but I do not think I got the right order although the pasta was to die for... I am not a veal fan and had ordered chicken. Our waitress was new and nervous but she tried. They were having computer problems at checkout so there was a long line of people but everyone just struck up conversations and waiting was very pleasant. Good food makes for good moods.

I have a load of laundry and ironing. Might change my bed but it is a holiday ya know..
    Jo I am positive you will settle in and make friends...you can rest and relax soon.
    Karlinann glad you took a day to rest. Sounds like you are having a holiday meal...I should have bought hot dogs yesterday.
    I hope each of you have a wonderful Fourth and are having picnics with friends and family. Stay cool!!

Comment

Happy July 4th!
      Last night I managed to get 6 hours of sleep. That means a better day for me. The difference seems to be in the pillow I’m using. I was using E’s memory foam pillow, but it was a harder foam. I came across my own pillow yesterday, and switched. Much better. I had already ordered a softer memory foam/bamboo pillow from Amazon on sale.....I like bamboo cloth very much, so ordered it and should arrive tomorrow. It would have arrived today,, but I ordered some bamboo sleep pants as well. I have another pair, and they are silky soft and comfy.

I don’t know what’s in store for today. I will go with the flow. I don’t want to be outdoors to watch fireworks when the temps are still a bit over 100° here. But being on the 3rd floor, I hope I get a good view of fireworks. That’s the kid in me speaking...I’ve seen fireworks so many times it should be old....still, the bright displays against a dark sky is pretty. The maintenance guy hasn’t been around to put up my TV yet. Darn.

I have got to let some business’ know of my change of address. I’ve been slow at that.

Well, I need my cuppa ☕️ And get ready for the sunny, hot day ahead. I don’t plan to be outside in it because it’s an exhausting to us older folk to be in such heat.

oh, and the lightning timing was something we were taught in elementary school.

Wishing you all a glorious and delicious holiday, whatever your plans are! ✨
      Last edited by JoGee; 07-04-2019, 11:51 AM.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Good morning! Happy 4th!!!

Yesterday was good...it rained for an hour...stopped in time for everything at church. Fire works were amazing!! 6000 explosions in 25 minutes! Some of the best I have ever seen!

I am hoping to spend time in my sisters pool this afternoon.

Comment

Good muggy Morning! I grew up knowing about thunder & miles. Heat lightening always confused me though before it just lite up the sky but never thundered or rained.

Yesterday was good. Just plugged along mixing, baking, icing, and cooking. Worked on the pool a little, but never did get in. Took Blaise down to Kathy's around 6pm. On the way home I decided I didn't want to cook, so I picked up Chinese.

OK, I was super lazy in the food department yesterday. I got a text from Subway for buy a footlong & drink, and get a second footlong for $1.49. Hey, for $10 Blaise & I would both be happy. Got to the check out and showed them my text offer, and was told I was the 5th person with that offer, and it wasn't in their computer system yet, so she couldn't honor the deal. NOT!!!! I told her that was the ONLY reason we came & I didn't want the sandwiches then. Well she FINALLY decided to just give the second sandwich to me for free. I offered to get her the $1.49. Hey, it's not my fault their computer isn't up to date.

THEN my order from Staples arrived. The deal was $8.99/12 pack. Well, they only sent a single one for each 12 pack I ordered, which was 7 packs...some 9" & some 10" pie pans. Nice heavy metal ones. Maybe it was advertised wrong, but she agreed that's what it said, so she sent me a UPS label to return the single ones & has the 12 packs being shipped...again. Even though it was their mistake, it's going to take another week for them to arrive.

This morning I ran my errands alone. I like going alone. Made 4 stops in 2 hrs. At Home Depot I bought 4 Hydrangeas...50% off. Onto Giant Eagle to get their 80/20 hamburger for $2.29/lb. I needed 20lbs for next Sunday's homeless shelter dinner. Will grill at least 80 hamburgers. Got some extra for me too. Stopped at Aldi's to get their ck breasts for $1.49/lb, but they were out already...dang! Of course I still bought other stuff. Stopped at Sharp Shopper just to see if they had apples on the reduced rack...they did! Took all they had except those with Red D's, because I don't bake with those. Waste of space as far as I'm concerned.

Now it's home to get busy getting ready for our company coming for swimming & dinner. Going to get the groceries put away & then start on the apple pies. My Mom, brothers, and our kids are all coming. Don't know if anyone else will join us or not. Doesn't matter. I figure there will be at least 10 of us.

Have a good one all!

Comment

Happy 4th of July!!! It is a nice day out and I have been in the pool and now dressed and ready to get moving. I am buying our meat today.

Jo, you sure got that heat thing right! We always say we have a dry heat here, but the dry heat in Las Vegas was more than I could take when we visited Stuart one August. Oh My gosh!!! I took Rylie for a walk at 9:00 am and thought I would pass out! Their 110 was highe rthan my 110! Anyway, I totally understand not going out in that sizzling heat and know you AZ people have the same as the LV people...
            Red Bluff is in Northern Ca but it feels like Death Valley a lot!

I will be checkingAmazon for the Swiffer type pads. No Publix (those Key Lime pies!!) or Aldis here. And I am not a fan of some of the Dollar Store products that are made out of the country. The Handi Wipes type product is made of something I don't even like to touch!
            Ugh. I bought a pack because my friend who cleaned my ceiling told me she uses them. I just can't do them

I think I will get Chinese drive through when I have my birthday off day...I am the only in this house that likes it and my mom only wants it once in awhile. My brother just took her out for it.

My apple pie is baking and thenI am off to the store to get the hamburger and the brats. My brother wanted to get some thing so he is getting the watermelon and chips and dip...not sure who all we think we are feeding, but there are some foods we just have to have for the 4th!

I grew up knowing that lightening/thunder thing, too and so you know what it feels like when you see the huge flash and immediately hear the Thunder! The last big storm so many friends posted right away that they thought the lightening had struck in their backyard! Luckily no fires came of that storm.

Just a few firecrackers went off last night. The one dog and the cat went running and hiding and whenwe went to bed the little dog wanted to be practically in my arm! She usually sleeps at the foot of the bed...tonight will be hard on her.
            We had a senior lab we rescued that was so afraid of the noises on the 4th. She would haul herself up onto my bed and put her head under a pillow.

Well, friends, have a safe and fun 4th of July! I can't help but wonder at the courage and the inspiration of our Founding Fathers as they met in secret, in humidity and at the risk of their own lives as they worked out the foundation of this great country.

God Bless America!!!

Comment

• sassygirl01
              sassygirl01 commented
              Editing a comment
              It is rainy here..I hope it will dry off for the fireworks..
              We will.And the furbabies..

Oh I forgot to tell you what happen last night. I didn't think Cork would stop laughing. We hide controls from Blaise just like we had to from Kathy. Blaise was gone for the night & we were going to watch an episode of NCIS. Couldn't find the controls. I KNEW I had seen them during the day IN something the was see thru. In plain sight. Looked & looked. Finally had the brilliant idea to use the "find remote" button on the DISH box. Found them! In the plastics cupboard, inside a semi clear container. Cork howled. I said, "See, I knew they were in plain sight." I'd been in & out of that cupboard all day.

Put cans of drinks on the door of the refrig when I got home. No bar across the shelving...broke off a long time ago. I have been in & out of the refrig multiple times, opening & closing it gently. Cork gets in it and cans go flying. Told him to open & close it gently. He did it twice more with the same results. What's so are about that concept? My eyes just about rolled clear back into my head. MEN!!!!

Trying a new recipe to me...dream pineapple dessert salad. I've had it over the years, but when I saw it on Pinterest, I just HAD to make it for tonight's picnic.

Comment

Hello everyone..
              I want to wish to everyone Happy 4th..
              I

Comment

Working...
              X