Monday, May 27 ~ Happy Memorial Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday, May 27 ~ Happy Memorial Day

Good morning Rounders! Do you remember MD when you were a kid? I do. My mom would buy some of those artificial flower arrangement things when we could afford it and we would make a trip to someone's grave, depending on where we lived, and clean off the gravesite and place the flower arrangement and throw the old stuff on top of the garbage heap of artificial flowers, vases, and funeral debris. Sometimes we didn't have anything to put on the grave, so we pulled weeds. Most of the time I remember that we had a good meal on MD and that's what I associate MD with in my head, not paying tribute to the lost and fallen. We were not a military family, except for one of my brothers and he was drafted. Sometimes when I got a little older we would take a trip to visit my mom's family. I usually got car sickness so those were not good memories, but it was a good time of year to make car trips before it got too hot. Back then you didn't have AC in the car and you could roll all the windows down. Once we went all the way to Ohio and guess who was sick with a flu virus and couldn't enjoy it at all.

Switch back to modern day, 2019, and I'm as patriotic an American as you would ever see. No, I don't visit gravesites, but I say a silent prayer for the fallen who fought so bravely for their country. I'm now reading books that tell our history as a country and what great numbers of men were sacrificed and what women did to help the war effort, and how they struggled and maintained through starvation and many other perils. Nothing that I could do in my lifetime would pay back the debt of living in this Land of the Free, but I salute all of them and am deeply humble and thankful for the opportunity of being a part of it.

Yesterday morning I moved the Poinsettia's and put all three of them in the same hole. I watered them in good, but it's 50/50 if they will survive. I moved a bunch of mulch and spread it around the garden. My Pepper plants were dried up, so I loosened the soil and watered them real good and deep, and even though they were starting to perk up a bit it's doubtful if they will make it. I'm telling you plants cannot take this brutal high 90's heat day after day.

The Lemon Pound Cake turned out so good. I used all butter this time instead of part margarine and that made the difference. Today I will make a small feast to go with. I'm doing laundry right this minute and when it gets daylight I'm going out to spread more leaf mulch. My plants are thanking me this morning because the leaf mulch is like a big shot of vitamins and minerals, plus it keeps the soil moist and protects the plants from the wicked heat.

When I was out front getting the Poinsettia's out a man came walking by with his little dog and said good morning and chatted a bit and he asked me what kind of plant was growing in front of our mailbox and I told him it's some kind of succulent and I don't know the name of it. I asked him if he wanted those 2 plants and he said yes. He is coming back for them today with his golf cart. They are all around this yard cuz I brought some from our other house and every seed that drops makes a new plant. They have a pretty pink bloom on them. I want to put Zinnia's around the mailbox because every seed I've put out there this year did not take. The Zinnia's are the most heat tolerant plant I have and I'll wait until my seedlings get big enough to transplant and move some of them. I'll have to wait until the rainy season starts though. In the meantime I will get that area prepared and put some good compost into the soil. You wait and see. When I start digging around in that soil the seeds I sowed are going to start sprouting. I'd be willing to bet on it. It's all good.

Happy Memorial Day! Peace & Plenty.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good SUNNY Morning!

Yesterday was a busy one even though it was to be a day of rest. Went to town after church & SS. Blaise chose to stay home with Cork even though I offered to buy lunch. That was fine because then I could zip in & back out of both stores. I got blessed at the second store while checking out. The lady in front of me grabbed my package of hamburger & paid for it. How sweet was that? Apparently she works there and does that often according to the gal that check me out.

Came home and got my pie dough mixed up before Blaise & I headed to the nursing home to help do their Sunday service. It was my SS classes' turn. Those people just LOVE when Blaise comes. He jumps right in and helps the people find the right pages for the songs, and he read a long story on the history of MD. Kathy called & text during the hour we were there even though I told her the times we would be gone. Anyways, her friend Steven wanted to buy a pie. I had enough Bumble berry pie filling premade & in the freezer, so I made him one of those. Kathy's weekend guests wanted me to make Chicken Squares, but I told them no. I made the crusts for the strawberry pies I'll be making for today's picnic. Kathy was suppose to be there around 330 but they didn't arrive until 530. Becca came down to visit with them. They weren't there long, but long enough that I burned the drumsticks I had on the grill.

Got to sleep in this morning. I think I slept my energy away though. The small picnic that we were having has turned into a large one. That's OK. Now hopefully some of these young people bring some food too. They say teach by example. My SIL and I always bring lots of food. Most of these young people WITH KIDS bring nothing or very little. I'm to the point where I think we should just assign them something. We always ask right away what we could bring. That what our Moms did. Anyways, I'm making lots of deviled eggs, 2 strawberry pies, grilled chicken, and trying a new recipe...Mexican coleslaw. Will get it all assembled this morning and grill the chicken after lunch. Cork won't eat hamburger or hot dogs, so I bring what he'll eat.

I don't remember much about MD. I remember sometimes but rarely going with my parents to clean off and plant flowers on family graves. Remember, I HATE gardening. Now when I was in HS, the marching band always was in the local parade. I remember one MD, band members started dropping like flies. It was hot, we were in wool uniforms, and it wasn't a good combo. The following years they gave us salt tablets once we got to the park for the service. The older I've gotten, the more I understand and appreciate the sacrifices made for me. It also angers me when others are so disrespectful.

Well I guess I better get moving. Think I'll stay in my nightgown this morning & work. It's nice and cool. Have a good one all!

Comment

Good morning. ☕️
      A sunny day ahead. It’s going to 88° today......we are having lower temperatures this year. I won’t complain.last year was 10° higher....before the high temp was 101°. But brush fires have begun. This afternoon we will have more high winds.

DD is gone today, heading home. She and her hubby have accomplished a lot for me.
      I still have 2 rooms to deal with.

Memorial Day...I just recall thinking that every kid’s uncles were all in some branch of the service. My uncles were in Army, Air Force, and Navy.
      Was it MD or Veterans Day, or both, the vets gave artificial little poppies for a donation. My dad always got a poppy for me. It was a big deal for me.

One very good thing, that terrible post to E’s online legacy book is being removed today. My older DD’s ex posted it, and he is heartless....

Nothing much going on here today. I’m really down on my energy, and am weak in my limbs at this point. Today will be a day of rest for me. Tomorrow I have an early appointment with my oncologist.

Have a good day. ☀️

Last edited by JoGee; 05-27-2019, 08:34 AM.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Happy Memorial Day, Karlinann, and everyone else that follows. Memorial Day was family reunion time for my mom's side. All of grandma's brothers and sisters and families from all over the state would go to her house. I remember my mom loving it! I remember tons of food, lots of beer. Card games in the garage for the gamblers, the older ladies in the kitchen talking Italian so we kids could not understand ...most of us kids wondering who everyone was! My grandma was the youngest of a big Italian family and hosted this event every Memorial Day in her yard. Now the sad thing is I could pass some of these cousins on the street and not know it. Life!

No plans for me today but like Karlinann today is a day of food. Jon is working but will grill for the two of us after. Then we will settle in for the hockey game. OMG I am so excited...everywhere you went this weekend people were in their Blue. Businesses have signs and Blue Notes hanging..hosting watching parties. I'll have my shirt on!!

Yesterday I did laundry and brought up the ironing...today I will iron. Thursday is Andrew's last day of school so schedules will be changing around here. Jon got the pool up but it has a leak. He came in all discouraged but I reminded him he got 4 years out the at pool! It is just a 14 footer but has brought a lot of pleasure to him and his son and after work this summer Jon will go out and float all by himself. So he went out and bought a new one so will take the old one down this week. I never put a toe in that pool! OMG, was that watermelon I bought good. DELISH! But it had the thickest rind I have ever seen...needed a saw to get through it! Actually just a strong son but no way I could have cut it.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day. My husband was a vet and I hope to get to the cemetery while the flags are still out on the graves. This year it totally sneaked up on me and I did not even get a new saddle for his stone. With both boys together this week it would have been a perfect time.

This is the beginning of summer so enjoy!!

Comment

A new what for his stone, maxie? Being from REd Bluff the only saddles I know of are the ones youput on a horse. Is it an arrangement tht fits over the headstone?

Happy Memorial Day and so thankful for our country!
          I grew up in a Navy family and so our MD's were usually on the east coast. We had flags for our homes throughout my growing up and that has continued during my married life. We flew them on all holidays. Back east we visited historic sites and lots of them were civil War sites and the Washington DC sites.
          Our town will have a service at the cemetery this morning and yesterday the Scouts placed flags on all the Veteran's graves. I will be taking new flowers there when I finish here. It rained yesterday afternoon when I had planned to go but this morning will be fine.
          When we lived in Norfolk, VA, (twice) my dad was stationed aboard ships there and was gone to sea a lot. So I grew up with an appreciation for military wives, too. The longest he was gone at one time was 9 months.

We will be grilling burgers today. I bought some Angus burgers with cheese and bacon in them and we had one yesterday. So good! We have grilled them before and they do well on the grill and for just the two or three of us, are a great option.

So nice of that lady in the store, Donna! Paying it Forward! A lot of people do that in the Starbucks line and I always do it if I see the EMT's parked out front...

Yesterday was a good day. We got rained on a lot, even going into church, but both older ladies were able to handle it ok. One was using her crutches and I was holding the umbrella for us both. It was a slower walk into church, but next time I will remember rto parka t the curb. Even with a back up camera I do not like backing up when I know kids are running out to their cars, etc.

the pie sounds so good, cookielady! I am determined to start making my own pies this summer. Donna's crust is every bit as good as the filling!
          Speaking of which, do you ever hear back from the wedding order customers? I wish they would tag you in a photo or send you one of all your cookies set out at their cookie table. I just love reading about that tradition.

Maye, I hope you are havinga good day and that David is too.
          Jo, hearing you are taking a day of rest for yourself is a relief to all of us.

Grateful today for the men and women who have sacrificed so much to serve their country!

Comment

• maxie
            maxie commented
            Editing a comment
            Instead of putting a vase of flowers we put a 'saddle' over the top. It is shaped like a horse saddle with four legs you push together for a tight fit over the top of the stone. They are getting harder to find so maybe it is a regional thing. He is buried in the family plot with just the one stone in the middle with the family name so I put a saddle on it. Each grave has a head marker.

• Paula A
            Paula A commented
            Editing a comment
            All my markers are almost flat headstones but they have the vase and two have the rose bush by them.

good after noon

today, done a bunch of odd little jobs. ..we live in the country, .. where the little animals come in to visit.. like rabbits, and last night a raccoon was here ... they are messy creatures.. they will tear into bags left on porch. etc...last night one decided to dig dirt out of a flower pot.. that I have one of those sun-charged night lights in.... so swept dirt off and them sprayed the pot and surrounding area with smelly bee/wasp spray... hoping to discourage them.

picnic day... we got invite to Nieces but David is not feeling like going anywhere... so son Bruce and wife are bringing picnic dinner to us.. David is still aching from his foolish day, when he rode the lawn mower for 1 1/2 hr.. this will be nice.. I,,ME , will miss seeing my nephew and nieces but will enjoy having son, wife, and their Daughter and hubby here..

I forgot about how we used to go to the cemetery on Memorial day..( with Mom).. next week I think I will make a stop and see if Mom,Dads lots are being kept nice.. ( perpetual care arrangement).. but not to visit "them".. they are forever in my heart. and memory.

time to get picnic table stuff assembled..

have a great day..

And never forget the service men and women who have given their All to protect this country and our way of life..
          and the men and women who still serve in our military ,,,

Comment

Working...
          X