Happy Mother's Day ~ Sunday, May 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Mother's Day ~ Sunday, May 12

Good morning Rounders! It's Mother's Day. Do you know the history of this national holiday? In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a bill designating the second Sunday in May as a legal holiday to be called "Mother's Day"-dedicated "to the best mother in the world, your mother." The basic idea goes back to ancient mythology-to the long ago civilizations of the Greeks and Romans. I like it that the Appalachian woman, Anna M. Jarvis was the reason behind the modern day MD bill being passed. Mother Jarvis was a lifelong activist who had organized "Mother's Work Days" to save the lives of those dying from polluted water. During the Civil War, Mother Jarvis had also organized women's brigades, encouraging women to help without regard for which side their men had chosen. At the time, there were many special days for men, but none for women. On May 10, 1908, a Mother's Day service was held at a church, in Grafton, West Virginia, where Anna's mother had taught. Thus was born the idea that the second Sunday in May be set aside to honor all mothers, dead or alive. I got that info from the Old Farmer's Almanac compliments of Boys Town.

I have to go Aldi's shopping today and make dinner, but not much else. I'm dragging this leg around again. It didn't hurt me at all to drive yesterday though. That's an improvement.

From this day forward I'll be doing our laundry early, early in the morning. That garage gets so freakin hot that you are sweating if you only step in there to get the clothes out of the dryer.

Today I will plant some of the Sweet Banana Pepper seeds into little peat pots. I had planted both kinds of peppers, Bell Peppers and SBP in the garden, but only the Bell Peppers came up and they are doing well. I want to pickle some of those SBP's so I need to get some growing.

Our garden is looking good this year I must say. It's starting to fill out nicely now with all this sun. We did manage to get a rain shower yesterday evening and it was welcome here. It's 50% chance today and we need it.

Maybe I will make meatloaf for dinner, Uncle Jeb's Sunday Meat Loaf. I have the Lemon Pound Cake to make also. Yep, that is what I'll do. I'm off to get the hamburger out of the freezer. Have a great day all you Mother's. Peace & Plenty.
    Last edited by karlinann; 05-12-2019, 03:03 AM.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good morning..happy mother’s day To mom’s! I thought I posted yesterday guess not. Yesterday was pretty quiet. Productive too..I did chores around the house and went to the store.
    Today I need to finish picking up the house and get going on dessert. My whole family will be here for Supper tonight. Tacos or taco salad..chips and salsa and banana trifold dessert. Mom’s choice. I will be so glad to see my parents I haven’t seen them since Easter.

Comment

Happy Mother’s Day To all the Moms!
      Good morning to all. ☕️
      Yesterday around 6 pm we were surprised with a nice rain falling. It must have rained throughout the night, too, and scattered showers past noon today. What a nice gift from Mother Nature!

We got a good amount of purging done yesterday. My brother thoroughly cleaned my stove inside and out. He tried to get new burner plates, but nobody makes them for the model GE stove I have. So he bought the nearest to them he could find. He and DD took turns drilling 3 little strips out of each one, and the plates were a very good fit. Wow.
      Today is his Birthday......Youngest DD will bring a surprise birthday card for him, and Middle DD will bring him a card. I gave him a card already this morning, with a substantial monetary gift (he has really earned it!).
      I will miss my brother after he leaves tomorrow.

Oh, E’s missing key ring was found by DD yesterday, which includes the missing bank key for the safety deposit box. Bro’ found the missing Storage Unit key. DD’s hubby changed my door lock, and I have a new house key for my ring of keys.
      This put an an end to a lot of concern and worry for me.

Well, that’s my latest news for today.
      hope you all have a very good day! ☀️

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Good morning...WE also got rain yesterday and last night and again this morning with storms this evening. That is not a surprise for us but the norm. House is not cool but cold with outside temps in the 40s again last night. Aren't we suppose to BBQ and romp in the sun on Mother's Day?

The drive yesterday was rough...lots of traffic and rain but I made it and my nephew parked for me and backed the car in so I could get out. They own a farm with fields all around but parking is a problem..go figure. A lot of late morning traffic because the Cardinals were home for an afternoon game. Since it was a rain delay start I had good traffic flow home. Dug out my winter jams and settled in for the hockey game. It was a bummer! But tomorrow is another night. Can't wait to try again...we will not be defeated!

I should grocery shop today but may not go out in the rain. That meatloaf sounds good and i bought hamb so should make one up for tomorrow. Tonight is pizza night. Will warm up the house with the oven on...not going to warm up for a few days.

This weather is not how you pictured starting summer vacation is it Beth? Burr! I do love lemon cake...have you tried the one from Olive Garden, Karlinann? I take mine to go for a bedtime snack. Yum! Jo, you are making good progress...hope it is winding down for you. You have really had a good support system and lots of help. Funny how all those missing pieces (keys) fall into place eventually. Everything will for you.

No plans today. I have a book and baseball and Hallmark. Happy Mother's Day to all of you...loved the history lesson. I do not think I ever heard it before...

Comment

• karlinann
          karlinann commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I have tried the Lemon Cake at the Olive Garden and it's delicious. Can't wait to eat a piece of that Lemon Pound Cake. Man, that smells great. It even comes with a packet to make the Lemon Glaze and all you add is water. I bought another one at Aldi's today.

Good morning everyone.

Maxie, I watched the first period of the hockey game. Then my show came on so I switched. I know the Sharks had 2 to 1 when I switched over. I know nothing about the rules of hockey.

Today I want to got to Walmart and see if I can get a haircut. Then work in the garage after it warms a bit.

My S-I-L and I decided that being Mother's Day that Churches would be fuller than normal, so we decided to continue our "search" next Sunday.

JoGee, are they going to go ahead and move you now? At least you were going to move into assisted living. This move for me had been the hardest due to all the "crap" that I accumulated over the 28 years that I'd lived in Robinson. I have 4 boxes of things for the garage sale in July.

Well time for some "bites to eat".

Everyone have a wonderful Mother's Day.
        Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Jostoy, we are far from finished. I don’t think E threw anything away. There is no clear path for an easy way through his stuff. I have to go through boxes of papers. what isn’t from his pre-adult years, date back to 1958. Most gets tossed, but there are among them a few papers that should be kept.
          His hardware and software have duplicate, quadrupled things. He had several iPads/tablets......I don’t know his passwords and they aren’t in his “Keeper”. We quit counting on flashlights of all kinds after 30. We laugh and cry over these things. These will be given to family, goodwill, or trash....depending on condition. but we have a noticeable dent in all of it.

Eventually, I’ll make it to Senior Living.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Good Morning! It's a very wet & chilly day out there. Yesterday was pretty most of the day, though chilly.

Yesterday was good for the most part. We went to garage sales all morning. Didn't come home with much, but what I did get I was happy with....3 bath towels I'll use down at the pool, and for $3 I got to stuff a bag full of clothes and got mostly summer pajama short gowns plus a coat. I was a bit miffed at my husband. Him & I could NEVER to on one of the traveling shows. I'd kill him. He is terrible with directions. And we were even using a GPS, but garbage in you get garbage out. How can you plug in an address w/o a city and not wonder why isn't showing arrival time 4 hours later? We went WAY WAY out of our way, and that was the first sale we were going to. Then it ended up being one we went to last year that had squat. Not a good start. My sense of humor just wasn't there.

Came home and started on all the food items I needed to make for today. Was making my horseradish potato salad, and forgot I used all the HR last time. So I made it up and put just some of the dressing on it, and will put on the rest when I add the HR I bought this morning. Grilled some drum sticks and will take most of them with us to my brother's today since Cork won't eat the hamburgers or hot dogs. I FINALLY got all the chicken that I bought in a case packaged & froze. I had my jammies on and then it hit me that I had to deliver the cherry pie to the restaurant. Dang! I did end up having a quiet evening.

Kathy called....her name is spelled DRAMA. She wondered when I'd be bringing Blaise down to her today...the earlier, the better. OK. Said something about dinner at my brother's, and she ask, "WHAT?"
            I only mentioned it 3 or 4x this week. Oh...we aren't coming. Hmmmm….when were you going to tell me? Well there just is too much drama going on down there...didn't I KNOW? Apparently Xander's Mom snitched him off his bike he was riding on Friday. The police got involved. Then she called CYS claiming Kathy was abusing Xander and withholding his meds. They got a note home from pre-school that Scarlett fever was going around the school, and Kathy immediately called the doctor's office to confirm this. This was all before Amber took Xander. Amber never ask for his meds that he's taking, so Kathy wasn't withholding...she took Xander away from where his medication is. What a mess! Now CYS has opened a case against Kathy & Matt. If they look back in their records, they'll see that Amber does this every time she gets ticked. I just didn't appreciate her tone to me. At no time do I get thanks for NOT causing her drama. She doesn't want Blaise, I just keep him here at home, and make life normal. I don't grumble & complain to him about his mom. Then she called DEMANDING I order her a new title for her vehicle since she couldn't find it. Well here we did have it in our safe. No please in all that. I taught this child better. I told Cork that if I should die last night, that I didn't want any of Kathy's tears. They wouldn't be because she was sad I died, but rather tears to draw attention to herself. Can you tell I was REALLY PO'd? Jo, I give you credit for not saying something to your son. You are a better Mom than I am. I did calm down some this morning. We did get Blaise delivered right after church. I had all paperwork & MD gift from Blaise for her. Guess who wasn't even awake when we got there? Just dropped off everything on her table & left.

Now I still need to bake a dutch apple pie and finish the potato salad. Then I'm going to sit down & read. Becca is coming mid-afternoon. She was going to weed for me, but it's been pouring rain all night & morning. We'll just visit until it's time to go down to my brother's.

Oh...yesterday I did meet my brother Tom and his gang of ladies, plus our Mom & my SIL Mom for lunch. It was nice. My niece came out late Friday night , and is leaving after church this morning. That's why we did lunch yesterday. It's always good to see her.

Have a wonderful Mother's Day! I know I'm blessed with all my kids. Just one makes me wonder sometimes. I remember the thousands of tears I shed before we finally got to adopt. I wanted to be a mom so bad.

Comment

Good Morning and happy Mothering Day to you All! We women do a lot of nurturing and loving and that is what being a mother is all about.
              Caring what happens with the students' finals, Beth and your nieces and your mom and sister. Taking care of our friends and families. all the errand of angels that is given to women. You are all an example to me.

As usual I am sitting here in rollers and not ready for church and have to walkout the door in 20 minutes to pickup the older lady for church.
              So I will leave you with the good smell of your coking in my thoughts and the good smell of the crockpot chicken (slowcooker pineapple chicken) that Becky is making for us.
              After church we ar going to a concert of a local community choral group and taking my mom and htnehome to eat. we bought three pieces of pie yesterday for our different tastes. My neighbor brought us over a small Impossible coconut cream pie...delicious! It ws for yesterday and we loved it. He was a g rocery store clerk and accumulated lots of recipes during his time working. His wife has never liked to cook and he has always done the cooking. When they moved onto our street it really added blessings and calories to our life!

Do whatever makes you happy today and give some of that happiness away!

Comment

Cookie, I think you are a terrific mom, not only to your girls, but to your grandson.

I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to follow my daughter’s demands. I was shocked that this particular daughter lied to everyone here about what her Dad promised her, then started to grab stuff. Youngest DD stopped her, but not before that daughter had put some tools in her car........the guys here needed them yesterday, but made do with what was left. That daughter is returning this coming week sometime. She is barred from taking or looking for more stuff. I have a crochet project for her to do while she SITS with me the whole time. I don’t feel like a good mom about this, as anger and disgust produce nothing good......but this girl can get real witchy and pushy..... I simply think she needs a good lesson.
                Whatever I have left is up for grabs to the OTHER kids first. She won’t like it, but it isn’t her say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

In honor of Mother's Day when the house temp hit 62 my son turned the heat back on.

Instead of hair I am growing a layer of flannel!

Comment

• karlinann
                    karlinann commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That layer of flannel will warm you up gal. That is a hoot. You are a hoot.
                Working...
                X