Thursday, February 21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday, February 21

Good morning Rounders! It's Thursday already? Where did this week go? It's already too hot here and I'm dreading summer, yes Maxie I'm serious. We still haven't gotten any rain and our grass is starting to dry up. I'm putting the irrigation system back on.

I did the grocery shopping and finished my book yesterday. Our neighbor was so glad to get the wood and thanked us. I gave him some pieces that I had not thrown out. He makes birdhouses.

Today is DH's MRI of his foot. It will let the doc know if that Achille's Heel is compromised enough to get the surgery right away. I'm hoping not immediately, but it is what it is.

Laundry and another trip to the library if I have time today. Peace and Plenty.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good morning...work yesterday was exactly that. . The coworkers that serves along side of me on my station and provide relief as needed were both gone yesterday. One called in the other had the day off and it was forgotten. Anyways this led to not getting a break at all. Any of the people that were capable of covering me for to have a break had other responsibilities. I get that but darn when I ask for 5 minutes to pee don’t make me wait an hour!

I am hoping today will be better but my fingers aren’t crossed. It’s my busiest day of serving. I have a feeling there is atleast one call off.

Tonight I am coming home and hiding!!

Comment

Good Morning! They say we are to have some sunshine for the next 5 days...yea, it's the same people who said we were to get 3-5" of snow yesterday & we only got MAYBE 2".

Yesterday was OK. I gave myself permission to be sick. Never got out of my jammies. Watched lots of TV. I did bake a pie for an order.

This week has been totally screwed up. I can't believe it's Thursday either, but then again, Blaise was off school Monday for the holiday & then yesterday they canceled school.

Cork came home & said the rumor is they are going to have to work 6/10's for the next 4 months. He is NOT happy. He feels this company is so disorganized & waits until the last minute to get jobs done that they could have been working on the last several months while they pushed brooms. They can't seem to be able to hire people & then have them stay. Hmmmmm….do you think maybe because at the rate of pay they are offering they only attract the lazy people who then don't want to do the work demanded of them? Now the silver lining....maybe he'll earn enough to cover what Kathy hasn't paid us back so we can get our roof done. We are having a contractor come out & give us a quote tonight.

This morning I'm feeling human. After my shower I plan to head into town to pick up a few groceries. Need to get those pies delivered. No plans for this evening.

Have a good one all!

Comment

• maxie
        maxie commented
        Editing a comment
        Everybody needs a jammie day! Plus those jammies are warm and comfy!! Glad you are feeling better!

• karlinann
        karlinann commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, Cookielady, I agree with you about the work ethic nowadays. Glad you're feeling better today. Don't overdo!

Good morning...another day, another hockey game tonight!!!! I know it can't last but Holy Jumpin' this is fun!!!

Jon is off today and going to pick up his taxes and I need to grocery shop. Andrew came in with a long speel about there is nothing to eat...that was right after he cleared his plate off the table from supper! Boy is he eating! But I will have his dad home to help haul groceries. Hopefully enough to make it through the weekend.

Yesterday lunch was fine. There were only 4 of us and we sat a long time. When there are 4 you can actually talk. Food was not great but did find out who in our group needs hip and knee replacements. I had to laugh to myself driving home that we actually discussed replacements and heart problems! Where has life gone? Those women I have known since I was 5 years old and that is how I still see them I guess. AND some of us are in much better shape than others. Aging us a funny thing. Turned in my taxes but did not make it to the store for meat. Another day another trip back.

I am so sick of this winter. Why can't i declare a State of Emergency and override Mother Nature? Just take that sun and heat from her and sprinkle it on me? The mood of the world would be so much better with perfect weather.

Just noticed it is still pretty early so have time for another cup of coffee. Karlinann I have been on the guys around here to make bird houses. We have one that Andrew made several years ago and I just hung it on the fence and Blue Birds move in every Spring. I would like to hang them along my flowering shrubs area right outside the back door. I have this picture in my head and no bird houses to hang! These guys are only able to see today and I am planning for tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day everyone one. Hope your husband gets the news he wants from the surgeon today. They do get you up and moving quickly anymore after these procedures. Sun and warm are the words of the day and don't listen to Karlinann...it is never to hot!

Comment

• karlinann
        karlinann commented
        Editing a comment
        OMG! Bluebirds! I'm so jealous. I had a bluebird house, hung it in the tree and the squirrels ate a huge hole in it where the birds would enter. I was so heart sick about that. They are my favorite birds and we have them around in the spring. They like mealy worms, whatever those are. Anyway, how do you keep their nest houses free from the squirrels? DH's appt for the MRI is at 12:30, and I'll post the outcome as soon as the doc reads it and lets us know.

Good morning, everyone.
      It still is cold here, night temps averaging in the 20°’s. It is in the 40’s now, but will get to 53° today, 45° tomorrow (with sub freezing night temp). Also rain forecasts of 90% chance today and 100% chance tomorrow. I don’t trust Mother Nature to get itto our neighborhood. There is water gushing in some local stream. But it’s bone dry here. I would love to have more than a sprinkling of rain here. Anyway, ☀️ sunshine is due over the weekend. I do want to feel the sun’s warmth again. Soon. I’m so tired of grey skies.

Not much happening here. Might have a bit of shopping to do. Depends on how E feels today. I can’t drive anymore because of my feet’s neuropathy....don’t feel the car’s pedals underfoot very well.

Today I will throw out my Valentine roses. They are no longer pretty blooms, though the fragrance is still in the air. Surprisingly, they haven’t dropped a petal or leaf or anything yet.
      This was the longest lasting bouquet I have ever had!

Hope you all have a goood day, despite how it may look now. And keep on smiling. It might just make your day, or someone else’s day......pass it on.
      Now to my mocha and breakfast. ☕️

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

• maxie
        maxie commented
        Editing a comment
        Jo I always thought your area had warm winters...just never thought of you having cold weather. Sierra received flowers after her accident I just disposed of them last week...they hung in there for a long time. Did you ever hire someone for the yard work? I am so happy for our grass boy. He started cutting the neighbor when Jon went over to talk with him and I noticed he had picked up other jobs last fall just from word of mouth. Some kids are pretty lazy but others are gems just needing direction.

• karlinann
        karlinann commented
        Editing a comment
        JoGee, why not hang those roses upside down and dry them. I bet they are beautiful.

Well I am solo again today! I better get my break

Comment

• maxie
        maxie commented
        Editing a comment
        Do your best Beth...you can get it all done!

I woke up feeling good! So Good Morning! Just knowing the two older school boys aren't coming is enough to make me not stress about the new baby and his toddler brother. They arrived first yesterday with their older school boy brother. As both little guys started in crying for a bottle I started to say, You see how my mornig starts, Brody? I looked over at him and he already had his headphones on, totally oblivious to the noise. I think I need hedphones! On his own he is easy to deal with, and he was a help with his toddler brother, but with the other school boy it becomes a gang up on the rest of the kids and try to run the place...
      By the end of the day I was hoping the 9 year old would be staying with his dad and then this 8 year old would not want to come. Which worked out but not quite the way the mom had said...not going with dad, but staying with friends who would "watch him". I am just the person she calls on when she can't get a free place for him.
      I am definitely not going to have any open spots for Spring Break and seriously not sure about summer, either. The mom had asked for the week! And I said yes because of all the plumbing and stove costs in January...live and learn.

Ok, sorry, but this is the only place I can let loose, so just ignore me. Money is not always my bottom line. Sanity rates much higher!

I have a birdhouse one of my daycare kids and his dad made some years ago. It hangs out back and I have seen little birds flitting around so I need to buy some birdseed and be more welcoming. And raise it up a bit: I have also seen cats laying around on the ground. Not mine or my neighbor's. One time I was looking out the window and saw my neighbor's cat in my yard and right at that moment she jumped straight up and caught a bird! Kind of sad.

Around here there are many who make and sell birdhouses that are so decorative kI am not sure birds actually visit them. Very pretty and pretty pricey.

Ok, everyone: I hope your weather improves daily. My soncalled me as he went to the hospital to let me know it was Snowing hard! 6:00 am when he got up there was no snow and fairly clear. Then by 8:00 ti was coming down and sticking. He definitely got what the weatherman predicted, Donna.
      And they kept my DIL again.

I will check back in and see what all is going on with you. Every day I am encouraged and hopeful that all your energy and work will rub off on me.
      So have a good day and know that I am thinking about you!

Comment

• maxie
        maxie commented
        Editing a comment
        I come here and complain all the time...this is the best therapy group! Sorry your dil is having problems after her surgery but I think they send women home to soon anyway. I just want these guys to nail together 4 sides with a bottom and top. I have a couple that Andrew made when he was little and painted with craft paint so I hate to hang them out to weather but I can maybe spray them with a sealer and he might get a kick out of seeing them. Cannot believe you are having Spring already!

• karlinann
        karlinann commented
        Editing a comment
        Paula, I had a nest of baby Wren birds on my front porch back in the 90's and the mother bird was trying to get them to fly and leave the nest. Well, my cat got one and it broke my heart. I know it's nature, but it just kills me how animals are so primal even when you feed them.

• karlinann
        karlinann commented
        Editing a comment
        Paula, JoGee is right about the fees for whether or not they come. You are in business, you are selling space, care, time, energy, and well being for those kids. Don't let people take advantage of your kindness. I learned the hard way that the more you do for free, the more they expect and pretty soon you are so mired up that you start to dread them coming. It happened to me and it sounds like you're experiencing the same thing. Mine was a cleaning business; residential and commercial, and you would not believe the things they asked me to do and when I raised my rates they got upset. I had to do it though, because one thing about owning a business is at the end of the day you need to have your sanity and you have to pay taxes.

Then just let loose, Paula. We all need to some time or other, and this is the place where we can let go of it.

That mom who finds “free” babysitting for her kid is doing you no favors. She should either be paying for the space you hold for him, or go elsewhere and free up that space for someone else who could use it. While money isn’t your bottom line, it still paved the way to sanity in your expenses. Your generosity is amazing.
      I know my babysitters always had a weekly flat rate, whether your child showed up or not. I thought it was very fair, and obviously so did the other moms.

You are seeing birds already? That means better weather to come, right? I hope our birds come back soon. Our trees aren’t even budding yet, looking so naked out there. Our birds like to hide in the leaves.

Have a good day.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• maxie
        maxie commented
        Editing a comment
        You know, reading this made me remember something. When I worked in St.Louis I rode with a guy who drove it everyday and charged us by the week. There were 5 of us plus him so we were crammed in but he did the driving in all types of weather and traffic! He also made us pay if we went in or not, if we were on vacation or sick. He was saving our seat and we had to pay. This is your business so you say who comes and who pays. Just saying'...

Maxie, we don’t usually have winters like this. This year it feels much colder than we are used to.
      Last year at this time I was getting seeds ready to be planted in my garden. I had a few long sleeve tee shirts that were enough. I have jackets, mostly lightweight, and used to have a coat that served well enough when we visited family during cold weather. With sub-freezing night temps, the days don’t achieve the warmth one would expect. The “high temp” might last an hour before it’s decline. We don’t have your snow and ice, but because we are used to warmer weather we feel the cold all these storms are carrying through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Karlinann, I did consider that about the roses. But we are still purging stuff here. We have a ways to go. E still has to take rest periods because he does get pains yet. I sit with him to be sure he is okay.

He emailed the hospital about being seen. He has had tests etc.... no one called.
        They told him to call cardiology every week to see if they have openings. The only set date he got is in mid-April. Yet he should keep calling? If he has ongoing pain/problems, shouldn’t they be more concerned?
        He could call 911 for emergency care, but then he would have a different set of doctors, not the ones who already talked with him and did the tests.
        He plans to change hospitals when we leave here. Not use the sister branch of this one in Phoenix, but another one.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

such great advice and a good reminder to stick to what they all know: fees are for enrollment not attendance. It gets sticky when they just want vacation days.
          so I will be thinking about what works for me and the younger kids and go from there.
          i have always said I am not a drop in babysitter.
          childcare provider is much more and I just have to keep that in mind.
          i do not want to burn out before I retire.
          we would have a nice day today except for a wind adviser!
          a cold wind.
          but sunny so I am not complaining. Much...

Comment

Good! Stick to that, Paula. Hope the weather warms up soon.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

outside after lunch. 54 but not too windy in the back yard.
              the baby got picked up for a wellness check so this is an easy way to be outside and not bring him.
              my dil is home. She said she had the best milkshake ever with her hospital lunch!
              probably the most expensive, too!
              i have to say how much I love and appreciate all of you! I know what you say but hearing it from you just helps!
              thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X