My granny :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My granny :(

It looks like Granny will be going to a nursing home sooner than later. As it turns out she is non compliant for their facility. She is not using her Oxygen the way that she is supposed to. She is supposed to switch her oxygen to her zpap machine at night and she isn't able to do that..Also she is not calling for help when she has to use the bathroom or needs something from across the room or needs to get up from her chair or wheel chair. Just like the other day when she didn't like how her bed was made instead of requesting help she just did it herself and ended up falling

My mom is beyond frustrated and I am too!!!! I just wish that Granny wasn't being so stubborn.

The oxygen getting shut off last night....it has a breaker that trips when the compressor failed.

Pray for all of us please!

I'm so sorry this is happening Beth. Unfortunately when we age noncompliance is part of the package. My father was not in assisted living or on O2, but he was so fiercely independent and wouldn't let you do anything for him. Is there any way that your granny can come and live with your mom and dad? I don't trust NH's, but if you have to resort to that you guys can show up at different times and just keep an eye on her. The biggie is falling and breaking a hip. That is major bad news and the healing process takes so long and if the patient is not strong enough to endure that long recovery period it's not a positive outcome. On the other hand if she is strong willed, stubborn, perky, active and noncompliant all rolled into one she just may do ok. Is the NH close to your mom & dad?
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

This is a difficult time for all the familey, isn’t it.
      like it or not, many elderly do not easily give up their independence. Nor do they generally want to be a nuisance to family, Or even Nurses. But they are older now (and don’t like to be reminded of that), slower, weaker.....
      calling for a bathroom run, well to some it’s embarrassing, and sometimes it takes longer to get there and the patient has an “accident” while waiting. Seems to me, the more they need the help, the more they want to avoid the fuss.

My mom was stubborn by not telling anyone, and not going to doctors. My Dad was angry with the loss of his macho-ness.
      Even I have to tell my kids to let me do all I can by myself, but I’ll ask for assistance.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

It bothers me to see Granny being so difficult because mom has to pick up the pieces and run to her rescue! mom is exausted from all of it...atleast her siblings are a little more helpful this go around

Comment

I know this is hard on you, too, Beth. But hang in there. You can do only so much.
          I am glad to hear that other family members are pitching in this time. just let Granny know that you love her, even if it is just sending on note periodically.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
          X