Monday, December 17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday, December 17

Yep,Yep, next week is Christmas. We are putting up our tree this afternoon.

I walked yesterday morning. It was the first time since back in the summer and I only walked about 1/8 of a mile, but it's a start. My sciatic nerve kicked in.

I'm reading Clawback by J.A. Jance and it is a page turner. Aunt Maye you're gonna want to read this one. I didn't want to put it down to make dinner.

Walking around the house yesterday I noticed that the downspout out front had washed out a huge spot at the corner from all that rain we had. It's never washed out like that. I had to move the pavers out about a foot and a half and then put big pieces of concrete in front of the pipe that drains the gutter away from the house. That will help to hold the corrugated drain pipe in place and I put one of those gutter guards on top of those pieces so the water won't wash out another hole. DH helped me or I could not have done it. Today I need to fill in that area where I moved out the pavers.

We have to clean the gutters out one more time. When they cut the tree a bunch of debris got caught in the gutter and you can see it sticking up.

That's all folks! I'll be back later to catch up.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good Morning....the hurrier I go the slower I get...it just seems that as I age I keep getting so much slower at getting things done...I know one thing for sure, next year much less time spent on computer and enjoy more reading time, outdoor time, visiting time. I think my short term memory is starting to fade and it scares me...also getting more lumps on the joints in my fingers, looks bad and at times my fingers ache, as well as my spine.

Now you have heard my complaints... Received news this morning that a friends SO had passed away, she had been struggling, she had cystic fibrosis had a lung transplant over a year ago, but this time last year she got pneumonia and she got it again this year, was in the hospital and just got worse and could not fight it any longer...so very sad for her young son who is 13, and lost his Father about 6 months ago...being raised by his grandparents.

Need to make a list, check it twice, I already know whos been naughty or nice, and also what I need to get at the grocery store...will only have the two older kids and grandkids here for a few hours on Christmas Eve so will have sandwiches and 'stuff' at that time...our youngest will be here Christmas Day and we will share gifts and food on Christmas Day with him..My daughter has changed so much I don't even recognize her anymore, leaves me wondering, what did I do wrong...

Well hubby is up now so will get my day started..
    Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

• karlinann
      karlinann commented
      Editing a comment
      Boffler, don't beat yourself up. I'm sure you did an excellent job raising your daughter and I'm also fairly certain you made many sacrifices. We cannot be responsible for our children's shortcomings, disrespect, views of the world and other such things. We gave them life, and they have to live it.

• Paula A
      Paula A commented
      Editing a comment
      And the influences of the spouse and their views is significant. I am just adding this to what maxie said. I have always been so impressed with how you have done so much over the years I have been here for your daughter and her daughters.

It sure rained here a lot yesterday. there was water standing on the patio. I have to figure out what I can do to keep it from doing that. Maybe build up the side it flows from, sandbag permanently?

I am making spaghetti for the daycare today and then who knows? Everything I had planned just seems too boring and what I want the kids do not want. My toddlers are much better eaters.

I have one load of laundry that needs to get done. I used the top of the washer to wrap gifts yesterday and Becky is mailing the packages this morning for me. I just finished putting all the paper away and the tape and now the washer is available again. Later this week Becky said she will drive the gifts to the Veteran's Home in Redding for me. After daycare today I am taking the two pair of boots for the Camp Fire family a friend's book club adopted and she asked if I wanted to be in with them. I had seen her in Walmart on black Friday and we were talking about how it would be easier for a small group of friends to do a good job at adopting a family than one person trying to do it alone. I asked one of my daycare moms where I could get some warm cute boots and she told me about Bear Paws that look a lot like Uggs but not nearly as expensive. They are so cute!

Well, not much out of the ordinary going on here,so I will give youall my best and I will check back later to see how all re doing!

Comment

Morning! Not sure what the weather is or will be today. Need to run some errands and buy the meat for our Christmas meals. Jon is off and will drive me. Everything is healing nicely and not even very sore but I am afraid to use that foot to drive with all the motion with these stitches.

Boy do I understand slowing down. I know my body is slowing down but I think I just do not want to do everything anymore. It isn't that I can't but that I have to push myself to be the one doing it. Does that make sense? I am so glad my sister took the holidays and she seemed to be waiting for them. Now I can be the guest! I am also not going to go out of my way to do fancy stuff for our little family Christmas here. Not one cookie has been baked (should have called Donna!), not all the decorations came out and the tree has holes that should have a decoration plugged into it. I should not have to make it perfect for them to come and if I do then....whatever. As for not understanding your children. I sit here everyday and lay in bed every night and wonder what I did wrong with Sierra. How one loser bf can have so much influence over her when I tried so hard to give her what she needed to be herself...the education we are providing so she can support herself and all the advantages she was given and she only gives to this loser and he takes and takes and she keeps giving. You see what is being done yet we are the ones in the wrong to her. Do I hate him? You bet!!

But it does explain why I started smoking again. And why I look so forward to our ladies shopping trips. Those are therapy for each of us. AND I have one coming up Thursday. I may cancel the school chums lunch on Wednesday so I can bake at least one damn cookie for Andrew to decorate. Not a big fan of those lunches anyway. I have no need or desire to reconnect with people I never sought out for 50 years. Boy am I in a mood or what? Going to go sit on the patio and check the weather and pollute the air with smoke. Need to shower and hit the road with my errands and hopefully find some good humor.

Comment

• Paula A
        Paula A commented
        Editing a comment
        Does your grocery store sell unfrosted cut out cookies?
        Mine does. I bought a box with three shapes, 4 each and one can of frosting and the kids were so happy!
        And a can of Pills hey slice and bake with designs in them ( Pillsbury) is a second easy fit for school kids.

Good morning.
      Yesterday the weatherman slipped rain into that evening’s forecast .... it never happened. Next forecasted rain s Christmas Day. That figures.

So, ladies, welcome to the club. We all start getting forgetful at some point. The memories come and go. These days, a conversation between E and me consists of offering words here and there to each other. We occasionally forget words that we have used many times. We can’t quite recall a memory and the other will tell the story. Tomorrow, it might be vice versa. But we can laugh at much of it.

And slowing down is normal, too. Neither of us accomplishes that much in a day any more. I wonder how I raised 5 kids, with 5 schedules, plus keep up with the 3 stepkids long distance, plus keep up with E’s schedules too....with shopping, cooking, baking thrown in besides. I truly miss all that.

As for kids, they all grow up. They shed their childhoods, and become their own person....never the person you thought they would be. Hey, I did that, too. I walked away from a rich guy my parents loved, but I didn’t, but had to leave home to do that. My folks caught up with me to bring me home, but I wouldn’t go, and I told them their treatment of me if I did.....I would be under constant supervision. But I survived, and my dad once actually told me he was proud that “I had the guts to stand on my own feet”. So when I look at my kids, they also made their choices, they also learned from them. They are not who I expected them to be in the long run, but they are good people in the end.

Paula, kids deciding they don’t like some foods, doesn’t mean they really don’t like it. They are starting to make their own rules where they can. I told mine, “this is on the menu. This is what you get. You need to try different foods sometimes. If you don’t like it after a couple of bites, you don’t have to eat it. I will make something else next time.” I also said, “you might get invited to a good friend’s home for a meal. If you fuss like this, they might never ask you back. But maybe they make it differently, and you will like it better. Then tell me about it and I will try to change the recipe.” Actually, that worked pretty good. But how many times did I hide that veggie in the next meatloaf or batch of meatballs. But broccoli went over better chopped up and mixed into cheesy potatoes!

I have to admit I have 1 GD I do not understand. The last time I actually saw/spoke to her was several years ago. She never really spoke back, but kept going into a separate room with all her in-laws. And stayed there. No room for anyone else there. They had the couches and comfy chairs, and other guests and our family had hard folding chairs in another room. In those years she never thanked me for baby gifts, birthday and holiday checks. She has never replied to my emails, snail mail, or attempted texts. So this year I sent her nothing for anything. I notice that my son, her stepdad, and his wife have yet to send us a greeting card or anything. They once said she is too busy. But it takes what, two to five minutes out of her life to reply? I feel weird to be in this position, but I don’t think we deserve that kind of treatment.

My condolences for your friend’s loss, Boffler. That is difficult on grandparents as well as the children.

Well, I should close now. E will be up soon.... or maybe later. We stayed up later than usual to see a British TV movie.
      Maybe he will sleep longer because of it. Then I need a shower.

Have a good day! ☀️ Stay warm!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

You are not going to believe what happened on our Cul De Sac. I went out to do a bit of gardening and I saw 3 deputies from the sheriff's dept. down at the bend of the cul de sac. I didn't know what they were doing, but my next door neighbor came out of his house just then and told me that animal control was there as well and he thinks someone called the SD on this family that bought a house down there. The family in question moved in about a year ago and they have a cat that just roams around the neighborhood. They have every door open all summer long and the man has been asked many times by several neighbors to keep his cat in the house, but has not complied.

I have been told by several of my neighbors that they have a stench, (not body odor) but a stench that permeates from them. Personally I have not been that close to them, but the deputies all put on masks before going into their house so that must be true. I ran the guy off when he came walking down the street and tried to talk to me when I was out gardening. I had been forewarned about how weird he is.

Maybe I'll find out what happened later on today and I'll post about it tomorrow. This community does not enforce the animals on leash thing, but I sure wish they did. And what can we do about filthy people moving into the neighborhood?
        "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Comment

Hey , I finally made it here!....

what a great discussion going today.. about memory loss , and tiredness.... are you all in your 80s?

I wasn't doing bad with memory,, at least the "current" stuff... until this past year. and now that short -term stuff has started ... like where did I put that book down?.. where did I put the checkbook ? .. what did I come down to the basement to get?.. so if you ladies are having trouble and aren't in your 80,s I guess I can be thankful i had a long time of remembering ... now I don't recall so many everyday things from my years as a young mother..( specifiate ones) just the general items.......but this short term loss is sooooo annoying... Sharon,, do you take lots of different meds?...I wonder if that affects the memory.. because so many of the folks my Kids ages .. in their 50s,,,, are complaining about things that I did not experience until I was in my 70s. I never needed or took much medicine. .
          Maxie that was the attitude I had this year about the C. season... let the "younger" ones do it... I did not make any cookies,, I am not baking my home made buns... I will make the pot of vegetable soup for Christmas eve and also make the Oyster stew for that evening after we get to Daughters house.. its so easy to do...

and I did not decorate the house,, we have a small tree. with lights already on and it is decorated.covered with a sheet and setting in the attic..son Mark will get it down tomorrow morning.. and set on the stand in the front window.. that's it folks . no outside anything.. David can't do it and I'm not going to try.. I love to drive by other houses and admire ..

What I miss the most is Church !.. David has not felt well enough to get out to church...I miss the music and the joy of the people at church .the happy sermons..

.... see you later... bed is calling me..

ps. Karlin , wrote down the name of book will order it from library..

Comment

Working...
          X