Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wednesday, December 12, 2018

It's a frosty morning here at 35 or 37 degrees, depending on which source you want to believe, TV or computer. I think for sure it will frost and kill my Poinsettias. They were so pretty yesterday when I did a walk around the garden. My Canna Lily sure had been frostbitten though. I brought my plants in pots into the garage yesterday morning early. The sun did not make an appearance until late in the day.

I ended up gifting most of the Potato Candy to one of DH's Pickleball friends. He was overjoyed! I sure didn't want all that sugar to be a temptation to DH and I will never make that candy again.

JoGee I am more than halfway thru that J.A. Jance book and now I know a good author to look for at our library. It will keep me occupied on the upcoming winter days.

Hope all of you have a wonderful day.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good Morning!

OK...I'll say...I'm sick & tired of baking under pressure. I can't wait for 12/26. Terrible to wish away time.

We baked off & made 26 doz filled cookies. Who knew they were a Christmas cookie? Then it was onto boxing up sugar cookie orders. Sue had to leave & I continued on. Got all the sugar cookies out, boxed up the rest of the orders and the sorted the remaining ones to go back into the freezer for future orders....hopefully. I think we made too many sugar cookies & Ladylocks. Lesson learned. I then got the ladylocks boxed into orders. I was short 11 doz, so filled those last night late & will box them this morning. Got 3 calls yesterday for PB pies, so got those made at 11pm. I know the rest of you are praying for warmer temps, but I really need the cold ones. I count on using my enclosed porch as an add'l freezer, but it's suppose to get into the high 40's this weekend, so I HAVE to figure something out. Sue is trying to keep my calm & organized.

Surprisingly, I actually cooked a real meal last night. I roasted a whole chicken for Cork, and I roasted a beef roast for me. Oh did that taste good w/mashed potatoes & squash.

Today is more of the same, except add a few customers in there picking up orders. Karate tonight. Blaise did earn his testing stripe, so he'll be testing for his camo belt next week.

Have a good one all!

Comment

Good Morning, a very cold one here and a bit of a chill in the air..

Today is hubby's luncheon day and the auction of baskets...of course I worry mine will not get very many bids..

Donna I could never do what you do, my shoulder on my left side is burning from working with my hands in front of me. I ended up with 8 different kinds of cookies plus puppy chow, buckeyes and chocolate dipped ritz bitz.

I get the first of the shingle shots today, everyone is surprised that I am getting one because it seems they are having a hard time getting it, well my Dr. told them I was to be moved to the top of the list!! I have a suppressed immune system so I guess that makes me a priority.

Nothing else happening here...will try and post a picture of the finished basket..I resized it but still get this error.. rsz_img_1165_2.jpg
      Upload failed. You have exceeded your usergroup's upload quota of 14.31 MB by 170.0 KB..
      Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

Good morning...mom and dad are on their way back to Daddy's doctor's appointment follow up from the melanoma biopsy he had on Monday.....I absolutely love having my family or people in the house with me but at the same time it sure is nice to know that tonight it will just be cori and I. It stresses Cori to have so many people in her space.

My whole family came and had lunch at the cafeteria where I work with me yesterday. That sure was a nice treat. They won't do it often its a bit expensive if you don't eat a lot.

I came home from work and slept for 3 hours...I still get really tired by the end of the day. I am doing much better though.

I have atleast 2 more days before I am off for a nice long break. I have some things planned for while I am off cleaning closets some baking and stuff like that....going out with friend a few times.

Comment

good morning

it's about 8/30.. been up since 5,, but set ,read, son Mark stopped in at 7.30.. he stops in "checking" on us almost every morning ,early, and thats so nice.
          check out some stuff on the computer... come here to see who all has stopped in already..

Karlin, I have kept loose leaf notebook of books I have read since about 1970.. I READ a Lot...by Authors name... I see I have read 3 of J a Jance books. the third one was Man Overboard.. and I have it marked "skimmed".. which means, in my shorthand way,, that the book was either boring or too "manly"..
          if you find a more/better one , let me know, and I will give that author second chance..

Sharon, I did NOT get the shingle shot this last time,,, because I had shingles august/2017.. Im hoping I'm immune forever..

the grandgirls and I have had a baking cookie at Christmas time for the last approx 15 years.. the group grew with couple "in-law" granddaughter. and sometimes a dear friend or two.. But this year I did not mention doing it, because of my weary tailbone and just plain "Im tired".. HOWEVER, I got a call from grandaughter #2. what night were we doing cookies.. she is the one with the yr old baby girl and wanted to bring her to the Cookie Night at Nana's.
          soooooooo,,,, with the help of daughter K, we will probably have cookie night, letting her organize the when,, I will make the cookie dough , and provide the icing, colors ,etc etc.. If K. can get a time that suits, the house and I are ready.. will be a special night having a Great Granddaughter here!

today, a trip to library, bank and maybe, just maybe Walmart.. depending on energy level of my dear old hubby..
          have a great day..

Comment

When I first checked in and looked at the Who's Online it said a lot of Guest reading...what does that mean? Rounders who can't check in?

The garbage trucks are out front right now and one cat is yowling at the other, but I am not moving until I finish here.

Donna, did you get my email? I am ordering Lady Locks. Oh, my goodness! the Best cookie Ever! And one I really doubt I could replicate.

JoGee, do you know which books from JA Jance are the ones set in WA?

I made the Holiday Nugget cookies I had seen on Facebook yesterday. They are basically a Mexican wedding cookie with sugar crystals in the powdered sugar you roll them in. I was not raised eating them and never made them. I liked them but also realized what I really liked ws the way they look with the red and green sugar crystals on them. The recipe called for finely chopped slivered almonds and I liked that; Pat and Sharon said they prefer the pecans.
            It is time to order my nuts from a friend in the Nut Growers Association. Last year I was given almost as many as I ordered! I still have one bagof walnuts and one of pecans. The almonds get eaten out of hand with snacks.

Ok, I better go get those cans in and back in the back yard. When parents pull up I like the front to be clear enough for at least two cars so they can walk right up, not cross the lawn on uneven ground.

This is Becky's last early morning and then she just (?) has Finals.
            Sharon, your basket sounds very expensive in value after looking at the ones offered in the many Christmas catalogs I receive.

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• karlinann
              karlinann commented
              Editing a comment
              I have wondered about the amount of guests online also. I think they may be Rounders who have not signed in maybe? I know if you don't sign in and just go onto the site you can read the posts, but you cannot post. So many guests!

Good morning.
            Either you guys are all early, or I’m a bit late.
            It’s a chilly morning here, temps dropping again.
            Today I have PT, then we need to pick up some groceries. I’m not enthused about PT. I think I overdid it last week, and am just now recovering from the worst of it. To today I’ll tell him to back off a bit.

I am glad you are enjoying the JA Jance book, Karlinann. Any of her books that feature Jimmy Chee or Joanna Brady (they’re all set in AZ) are the ones I recommend. I didn’t hear about Man Overboard, Maye....but it must be one set in WA or the NW area??? I read only one of those books, and while I didn’t find it bad, I just didn’t enjoy it that much.

Paula, I don’t remember which JA Jance books are set in WA. It is quite a while since I read the one book. I have long since given the set of books away. Sorry. I will check online later, though, and let you know what I find out.

Cookie, I think any and all cookies are great for holidays. A few may stand out for the particular holiday, but maybe I just like cookies.

Well, not much happening here. Just trying to downsize our belongings. Not easy, when memories are attached, but it’s gotta get done. E keeps getting lost in his computer stuff and such, but he finally realized it and knows he has to get back to reality.

So so I guess I’d better close for now, and get my day started.
            Have a great day, and keep warm.
            Last edited by JoGee; 12-12-2018, 09:44 AM.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Good Morning...boy did I sleep in this morning. I have been so tired and have had no energy. Gotta get going around here! We are doing our Christmas on December 22 and 23 and I have menus to make and grocery shopping to start and cleaning to do and lots of running already going on for next week and not one darn cookie in the house. I have to bake at least one batch of cut outs for Andrew to decorate and what is Christmas without a cookie? Jon has been home for the last 2 weeks on vacation and we squandered that by doing nothing. Today he is off to meet up with friends and tomorrow is his last day off. I need him to mix since my shoulder is still so sore with certain motions. How did everything get here so fast? Sierra has her last final today but picked up her work schedule and gives us nothing in the way of time. Oh, well, this lack of time management in my fault and complaining about it sure will not get anything done....and it's a waste of time!

Last nights Christmas program is the same as every other program but longer....they brought in the bands. 5th grade band and 6th grade band and middle school band and jazz band and high school band! Oh was my back bitching! I am sure people around me heard it complaining!! The kids did one song where they turned off the lights and the kids all had little flashlights that they waved and it was a touching vision. Drew's mom is going to post pictures on fb but it needed to be a video for the entire mood. It was very nice.

After all the complaining I did in the first paragraph I need to get moving around here. Plus cook a meal tonight. The doctor's office called yesterday to schedule this thingy removal but my phone was in my purse and I didn't hear it and when I called back they were gone and the office is closed today so it will be next week and then I will have stitches in my ankle for Christmas. AHHHH...I could have maybe had it done tomorrow!!!

Sharon, I am sure your basket will be a killer!! Wish I could bid on it then I would not be forced to bake around here. Beth, glad you are feeling better and enjoying your family. Cookie, it isn;t just all you do with the baking but the cooking and the running. You will need a long winter's nap...in a couple of weeks! Paula, nuts do not last around here..if someone brings in a shelled nut we eat it! Jo, downsizing is hard and getting rid of stuff with memories is the worst. I know I have said before I moved way to much stuff here and we are still pitching it out. Funny how memories dim when you can't walk through the basement storage area. Karlinann I cannot imagine seeing a poinsettia growing in the yard. I hope all of you have great days and get everything done you have planned...I wish the same for me too!!!!!!!

Comment

CORRECTION on the books featuring Jim Chee. He is a Tony Hillerman bookcharacter.
                It is also based somewhere in the SW, but is murder mysteries among the Native Indian Tribes. Read only if you are truly interested in our Indian culture.
                Tony Hillerman grew up among the tribes, his parents were missionaries. But Tony’s friends were the Indian boys, and he got to know them, their people, their languages, and their culture. He has proven himself worthy of the tribes’ trust, and has kept their sacred secrets very private. Ergo, his stories are as close to the Indian truths of life as we can ever know. And, yes, they have “bad guys” among them, just as every culture has.
                Tony Hillerman is no longer living, but his wife, Ann, has begun picking up where he left off. I have not read her book(s) yet, and have no idea of her background and connection with the tribes.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
                X