November, 22 Turkey Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November, 22 Turkey Day

We have a situation here.....my turkey is too big for my crockpot. What to do? I do not have a roasting pan, and I don't have the roasting bags. Guess I'll just put it in the crock and cover it with foil. That might work. It will fit down in the crock, but is sticking up several inches on top.

It's cool in the house this morning cuz we left the fans overnight. Brrh! I have a 3 D puzzle to try and figure out later, but right now I'm going to aarp.org to play games.

Have a good one!
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Good morning! Happy Thanksgiving!!! I am in a happy place my parents living room drinking coffee with my dad mom and sis. The others are still sleeping. I had a rude awakening last night just as I dozed off the seem in my air mattress came undone and tossed me. Needless to say I slept ok between the couch and my dad’s recliner.

Don’t eat to much today! I don’t plan to but I probably will there 5 pies and other yummy stuff

Comment

Good morning all.

Yes, it is gobbler day. If it was up to me, all gobblers would still be walking around. In other words, I don't care much for turkey, never have and never will.

I have been invited to E's daughter's house for Turkey Day. I had told her Sunday at Church that it would be a bit embarrassing for me as I can't cut anything up. After yesterday's Dr. appt., I am in more of a "pickle" than I was before. I now have a hard cast on that is more restrictive than the splint thing that Fort Wayne put on me. I see a surgeon a week from tomorrow. I found out yesterday that 1 of the bones that I broke is very difficult to heal, and that is the need to immobilize my thumb.

The swelling and bruising is still there. He said the swelling looked more like a 3 day out rather than a 10 day. With the break being on my rt. wrist, I can't see the bruising, but could still see the swelling.

Now that you have all heard my woes, I will just say....enjoy your family, your meal, and don't forget to think of your Blessing.
      Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

I have had that problem Karlinann...that turkey will shrink as it cooks. It should eventually slide right down into your pot. I just cover mine with foil and kept an eye on it. Normally I put my turkey into the crock the night before and let it cook all night. Good luck with that turkey...just did one a few weeks ago.

I am up early to start the potatoes heating. They are sitting in the crock pot and i want to take some of the refrigerator chill off before turning them on. The sweet potatoes are over cooked and I could throttle my son for that. They were perfect when I turned them off and then he was to drain them but I need to go back a step...I told him not to put the potato peels in the garbage disposal. He said he could because 'he knew how'. From experience I have learned when you are peeling pounds and pounds of potatoes to just put the peels into a bag and put in the trash. But, Mr. Know How ended up with a clogged sink and having to take it apart to dig out potato peels and the sweet potatoes sat in their water without being drained and are now over cooked. Of course I said 'I told you so'...you know I did...several times. And he may have taken the sink apart but guess who mopped the floor and dragged rugs downstairs and then had to deal with over cooked potatoes? I told him so!!

But no matter it will be a wonderful day. My sister sent a picture yesterday and her furniture came so we will have seats. She was just going to send out a message this morning so we could all bring our comfy lawn chairs. I am so excited that we will be together today....22 of us! My two grands will be the only ones missing. Sierra is already at work and Andrew is with his mom. I have no idea when he left last night. I took the hockey game to bed around 8:30 and I know Scott went in to bed early. When I left the living room Jon and Drew moved upstairs so assuming they both napped until mom came in. I did notice the sink is full of dishes and the dishwasher empty...go figure. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Well think I can squeeze in another cup of coffee before showering. Good luck with your turkey Karlinann and have a wonderful holiday. Each and everyone of you have a wonderful day!

Comment

Good morning, and Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

We changed our timetable a bit. Yesterday E said “Let’s have Thanksgiving dinner for lunch, and we get free pie with it today.” So we did. That made our meal half the price that’s going to be charged today if we ate out. We could not eat the whole plateful yesterday, and our leftovers will make a very nice dinner for today. Really, they gave us 5 slices of turkey (each) over the cornbread dressing, and mashed potatoes and biscuit and cranberry sauce. No room on the dish for veggies, but today I will heat veggies with the leftovers. Their pumpkin pie is outstanding, as are most of their pies, and E loves the triple berry pie. I didn’t see which whole pies he bought too take home.
          There were many boxed pies on tables lining the entrance. Just before we left they restocked those tables. It looked like a hundred pies stacked there. But they must know what they’re doing, as they have been doing it for years.

I will I’ll try to watch today’s parade on TV. I haven’t seen it in years. With today’s weather being the coldest in a century, almost everywhere in the states, the balloons might not fly, and I’m aware the parade participants will all be wearing long johns under their clothes. Hope the parades won’t be cancelled.

I hope your your day goes perfectly.
          We cant be with family today, but the messages are coming in.
          Have a great day and keep warm.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

• Paula A
            Paula A commented
            Editing a comment
            Jo, we have a restaurant, Shari's, that makes pies and sells them, too. and they are stacked up way high like that for today!

Happy Thanksgiving! I am missing the smell of turkey roasting and definitely missing the dressing, but I am also very thankful to really have time off. Becky and I decided we would have a no pressure holiday since my mom is in FL and that means we are having Over night Blueberry French toast casserole for brunch with friends.

Last night I was in bed watching video of clothes (one of those shop party things) and fell asleep and dropped my phone on myself. Not as bad as waking up from the air mattress accident, Beth, but it did wake me up and lol at myself.

We will have the Parade on this morning. It is a tradition I grew up with.
          One of my daycare moms was telling me it is her first year to make the turkey and her friends were saying to get a disposable pan at the store...I told her how I did that Once and the thing was collapsing with the weight of the turkey. She decide to use her MIL's nice roaster pan. Unless the advice is from a real cook, I say Don't try anything new.

Love you all and hope you have a great day! Jostoy, I bet it will be such a comfort for E's family to have you there. Hugs for you !

Comment

Yesterday was tough. My PT guy is training another guy. That other guy oversaw my exercises yesterday. He is better! He had suggestions and tips for me throughout, to work morevmuscles with the exercises. I had a thorough workout. But left with my chest palpitating.
            At the restaurant the problem stopped. But as we left, it started up again. We skipped grocery shopping yet again. I went home, took a nap with both vibrators on the bed running. I felt much better when I got up.
            I ran by my experience with my PT daughter. She agreed this new guy sounded much better. She advised me to drink more water there. My thoughts were that the bathrooms were not convenient to that room’s location.
            Oh well, I don’t have many sessions left there. I can do all these exercises at home.

That was good advice, Paula. I’m trying to remember who I once knew that had the pan collapse, she had a turkey that fell apart, so she put all the meat chunks on the platter (not telling anyone there what happened). A “Martha Stewart incident “ ..
            Martha dropped hers and told her guests “I’ll bring in the other turkey.” She replattered the fallen turkey.
            Last edited by JoGee; 11-22-2018, 11:00 AM.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Paula A
              Paula A commented
              Editing a comment
              Martha can pulpit off! My scream would probably alert everyone!

This just in from my daughter.......
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Paula, I understand. She doesn’t impress me either. Do you know she is in business only because her very wealthy father paid to keep her there. I won’t even buy the various merchandise with her name affixed to them, in the stores.
              I just mentioned the incident because I heard it on TV many many years ago, and your advice to the young mother reminded me of it.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X