Alive and Thankful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alive and Thankful

Thought I'd take a moment and pop in and give you all an update.

Our house is not as good as we originally thought. Back bathroom roof smashed in by a huge tree which, fortunately, rolled off the roof afterward. Trees down covering the entire front and backyard. Finally located our landlord Tuesday afternoon, only to be told he has no insurance on the property and we are basically on our own. *sigh*

Carport fell on Chris's car, which we left when we evacuated. Roof eventually slid off his car onto its side next to the car, but a huge tree is now pinning it in. Someone has loaned us a chainsaw today, so we will see what sort of progress can be made.

I am back at work full-time. Listening to the board members bicker is very wearing on the nerves. Our manager has been fired, because not a single person has heard from him regarding the property - only to ask if anyone could get to his personal property and check on it for him. He doesn't even know he's fired yet. It's gonna be a stressful day when he shows back up.

We are staying with Chris's sister-in-law, Stacey, and her family out at the West end of Panama City Beach - very little damage out there, so we are blessed. The daily struggle of getting needed supplies, getting gasoline, and dealing with traffic is very wearing. Not to mention all of this must be completed with curfew (we are literally under martial law in the county and must be indoors from 6:30pm to 6:30 a.m.).

The destruction. Where do I begin? I have ugly cried so much! My hometown will NEVER be the same. It is stripped of trees. Buildings are now piles of rubble. Looting on the east side of town is rampant, with the sound of gunshots all night long.

BUT... within all of the sadness, there is hope and light. People helping people - it's just amazing. It will take probably 20 years to rebuild everything.

Paula has conveyed to me that y'all were all worried. I thank you, each and every one, for all the thoughts and prayers you've sent our way. Don't Stop!
    Last edited by Pat B; 10-20-2018, 11:25 AM.
    The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Sure glad to hear from you, Pat. Are all the gunshots being fired at looters? At least the news shows all the signs saying that looters will be shot. Sorry to say, but I don't blame the shooters. I just hope they are good shots. Did your place of employment not get any damage?
    Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Pat...will continue to think of you and pray for Strength for your body and your spirit.you are alive!..for that we are most thankful!!.. .

Comment

Jostoy, yes the condo sustained damage. Some of the units must be completely gutted which will take probably six months.

Today we are going to see our landlord (who is completely uninsured!) to try to cut a deal. We will pay for the electrical repairs ($1200!!) If we can live rent free for a while. We will seal off the smashed bathroom until he can arrange to repair that. There are no places left to move so we must try to stay where we are if possible.

The chainsaw we borrowed yesterday didn't work
        *Sigh* so time to scramble and see about one from somewhere else.

Our lives have been shattered.
        The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

Pat, what a devastating situation! It will take a lot of time to repair things. But, amazingly (and thankfully), you had a home to return to. Try to count your blessings. I know it will be a tough and expensive time to get some sense of normalcy back.
          My thoughts remain with you all.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Oh Pat, thank you for the update. We all have been thinking and praying for you. We see the horror on the tv but hearing of it personally makes it even worse. Will continue to pray and think of you and your family.

Comment

Oh, am so sorry for all of this and will continue to see what those of us not in the area can do.
              We all need to pray specifically that your landlord will soften his heart and allow you to live there and do the repairs.
              I will be finding out more information on the Helping Hands and how we can get you some help!

Comment

Working...
              X