Saturday Morning sunshine here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Morning sunshine here

Good Morning, a chilly morning out, 58 degrees not a good thing for August...today will consist of making a few qts. of tomato juice and working up the green beans and canning them. Not a fun thing for a weekend, LOL...but will sure taste good come winter...I grew up working in a garden and helping to can goods...when a lot of kids looked forward to school being out for the summer, my sisters and I dreaded it because we knew the work ahead of us...planting, hoeing, watering, picking, washing jars, breaking up green beans, husking corn, picking berries, etc., etc. plus cleaning house, washing clothes, laundry, I grew up knowing what hard work was...

Well enough of my history what's everyone doing for the day? The cable guy was here yesterday so hopefully all of our problems are fixed, no more dropped calls, pixling on the tv, slow computer, etc...well my computer is slow I need to replace it, I have a new laptop but there is something about having a desktop that I like...hubby thinks I should just use the laptop and be done with a desktop, I disagree, LOL...

Time to get a move on and get some breakfast started, have a great day and weekend one and all..

Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Good morning.
    I was awake at 1a.m., 4a.m., and then finally slept to 6:30. I don't feel too rested, but that'll go away once I actually start doing things here.

Sharon, the gardening and canning sounds like what my mom and sisters did. My grandparents had a large garden...a full city lot. They grew the veggies. Their girls did the harvesting and canning. Us grandkids weren't allowed to linger and learn, but then the kitchen they worked in was very small. I learned gardening and canning on my own here in Tucson.
    I did have a garden plot in NJ on the military base, but my pickings there were pretty meager. One day I found an old woman picking a bunch of my stuff (I didn't get it back) - her garden was next to mine - and when caught she dropped a few cabbages in my plot to "make up for it", and didn't hang around. Never saw her again, and didn't get another plot after that. (The plots were clearly marked!). Haven't planted for the last 2 years, being sick and all. Now I don't have the energy for it.

Made a great beef stew yesterday with a package of sirloin steaks I bought. I threw in a half bag of frozen diced "hash brown" potatoes. Some carrots. A pkg of beefy onion soup mix. And 2 cups of broccoli slaw I got for 99 cents (still have 2 cups left!). It really turned out yummy, even though it's not the traditional recipe. I love cooking, and get inspired when in the kitchen. I told E that when we get around to Senior Living apartments, I want the capability to cook, not eat every danger meal in the dining room. (And for the prices they charge, it better include an exercise room and a swimming pool.)

Tomorrow we eat out for supper. At Applebee's. Hello sodium. I recall mostly fried or deep fried entrees there. Short of salads there's not much healthy eating in restaurants....but still, even in salads, I pick out the jalapeņos, olives, raw onions, nuts (and they're usually sugared), .... much of the time these salads are pre-mixed. They grumble if they make them separately. Tough. Better that they grumble than have my tummy in a turmoil later, right?
    There's a big turnover of restaurants out here lately. Traditional ones sold out to new chefs who are trying out "exotic" blends of foods and sauces, and reading about their recipes kind of turns my stomach. And why is alcohol necessary in sauces and other dishes (can't have that with my meds).

Pardon my frame of mind today, please.
    I guess I'll just go get started on my day. 👋
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

• Paula A
      Paula A commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a daycare mom who waitresses at Applebee's. She told me they have 13 microwaves in the kitchen!

Slept in this morning...may have to do with the cool air outside. Wish it would warm up into traditional summer heat! Fall weather is for Fall to acclimate us for winter cold..not mess around with my few short summer months. I have nothing planned for the day. May change my bed. Jon is off this weekend and already gone somewhere for the day and Sierra is still in bed but will shower and leave when she gets up. So that means I can do, or not do, whatever I want. Have not ever canned food but have frozen a lot through the years. Scott freezes garden things and brings me surprise bags throughout the winter. He is such a domesticated son and the other is not! Andrew was suppose to be here this weekend but his mother had an invitation to float in Arkansas and that is what you are suppose to do in the summer a couple of weeks before school starts. Hope the weather is warmer for them than it is here. Guess I'll go scrounge up something to eat. Hope you all have a great Saturday!

Comment

It is 80* out and muggy! the sky is high clouds, but I am not sure if they are real clouds or smoke/haze from the fire north east of us.
      Today is a clean up and a nail appointment day. an agenda I like. Becky bought a new 409 lemon scent floor cleaner and it is way too strong a chemical smell and I will be looking for something else. I am going to the dollar store and try products till we find one we both can stand and not keep wasting money. I tried a DIY with vinegar, lemon juice and water but it didn't clean well. Maybe just steam the floors with my Shark and see how that goes. It doesn't seem to leave the tile floor bright and shiny...
      My family had a garden wherever we were allowed during the Navy years. When we rented houses we always had one. We didn't can the vegetables, mostly beans and zucchini, but always canned fruits and also made jam. When we were first married I was able to start out canning like my grandmother and mom did. Now I just make jam.
      I will be going to the Farmer's market after I finish here to get a few things. The fruits are so much better than the store and worth the price, but the tomatoes in the store taste just as good and are priced way below the market...
      Jo, for dinner tonight we are getting and bringing home salads from our favorite pizza joint with grilled chicken added. No onions but they do have peppocinis. And big enough for lunch tomorrow, too.
      Hope you all are having a good Saturday!

Comment

chilly, wet, sunshine is trying hard to get here, Morning .

Im getting so aggravated setting here..the mechanics did not call yesterday about the car that is at the Shop.so I guess it wasn't done.. so hoping they are working on it today... I need to get to library before it closes at 1pm..to pick up ordered book... unfortunately , we had told the mechanic ,,,no hurry, we have the other car,,,,,well.............the Other car has a blowed muffler. and goes to a different shop on Monday. ?????? no one is answering the phone .so here we set .... I think the Lord sets up these situations just to try my Patience..my Good Humor. and makes me Count my Blessings....don't fret the small stuff..

I was never thrilled about gardening (too much dirt) . altho I like to can .( uses water).. and prefer the taste of my green beans, corn and tomato juice over store brands... however there comes a time when all of that ceases.. the energy needed is not there anymore... I will do some farmer corn and hopefully get some truck farm tomatoes to make juice this summer.

still wading around my new computer and what everything new does. or doesn't do.. still think it moved my files and paper work all around!.

see you all later .. might as well settled back and wait, wait , wait.
        Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Good morning...I slept a little late then then cori decided to curl up with me for a 2 hour snuggle....I shall grab my tablet and read...I may even take a blanket to the back yard for a nap in the sun!!!

Comment

Good Morning, sun is shining but we had one heck of a storm this morning. I'm in charge of cooking tonight, Larry brought fried chicken from his job, it is fully cooked and frozen but you have to deep fry it for a few minutes to make sure it is cooked through. They tried nuking it but said it was still cold in the middle and the coating got super hard. Will do real mashed potatoes and corn. Candie asked if I was up to cooking that much, what is there to peeling potatoes? I can do that sitting down, will also make some milk gravy. My son cooks but his SO I don't think much,.
            Grampy and Daddy had a truck patch, plus individual gardens, so grew up with the whole canning system. My Aunt and Uncle had a fruit farm and most of the truck patch stuff went there to be sold out of the "store" some was traded for fruit that Granny and Mom canned, along with most of the culls.
            Last edited by determined; 08-05-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X