Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday ~ 10 / 7

Good Morning, Friends!

5a here. Dark and quiet and no cat. I am hiding in the bedroom.

Have decided on a fruit salad for Homecoming since I have a quart of Strawberry Poppyseed dressing in the freezer but first I have to get to the market for the fruit. That's a problem.

Darla, I enjoyed reading about your teaching your nephew's to crochet. Nice.

Donna, every time I come here my first thought is PIE. Wonder why?

maxie, I have finally gotten to the point in my life that I like to cook, but cooking simple meals for 2 is a whole lot different from what you do.

Sharon, thinking of you and hoping your trip can be managed.

Hope everyone has a good day. Better check on Hurricane Matthew.

Good morning everyone..

rise and shine..

I check on too..We get some rain..

We are going to Wal-mart for last min things..

Comment

Good Morning.....two exhausting days of cooking, cleaning and packing and the hubby comes home and ask, "what do you do today"! Killer words were spoken.... If not for me we would not be able to leave early this morning...getting ready to hop in the shower, praying Hurricane Matthew doesn't ruin our plans...my thoughts and prayers for those in the path of the Hurricane and to so many that have lost their lives and so much more...

Don't know if I will get the chance to check in again, if not, will see you again around the 17th.

Take care one and all.
      Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

Good morning...I totally expect to get a hard time at work today! I am going to wear my Wrigley Field shirt and cubs hat!!! Go cubs GO!!! I will be watching the game tonight! SO excited!

Work this morning...then volunteering...then some shopping with a friend..

I found out some friends from southern IL may be coming for a short visit..just lunch then they want to see my house and know that I live in a safe area...They think that because I live by saint louis I should be scared. I am not the least bit worried at all.

There was police officer shot and killed in saint louis yesterday..turns out he was a childhood friend of my cousins husband that is also a police officer.

Cori story for this morning-I was sitting here typing this and she was under my feet making a mess with a paper sack..so I grabbed a piece of paper and made it into a ball and threw it in the other room. I looked out and she was carrying it around in her mouth. She is currently offended because I am not petting her like she thinks I should be.

Comment

Has anyone heard from Pat?

Comment

Morning all

Yes, we are fine. We are on the total opposite side of Florida from the Hurricane. We actually are packed with evacuees here.

Good news on the school front for Erin yesterday. We met with the guidance counselor - she only needs 10 more credits to graduate! She had been bucking to do online school until she got the news that you do NOT get a diploma going that route - you only get a GED. So she will stay where she is and will be a senior next year provided she sticks with the plan and gets the grades to pass. She will be on track to graduate in June 2018 (that's 6 months early!).

Other than that - it's work, work, work. Seems like that's all we do. Then cook, eat, and collapse in front of the TV. Looking forward to the holidays when we will actually have some time off TOGETHER.

Y'all have a good 'un!

The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

• cookielady
              cookielady commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad you are OK. I said when Kathy turned 18, we were going to have a big ole party, and it wasn't going to be for Kathy. It was going to be for us adults who made it thru. Does she want to go to college?

Good SUNNY Morning! Yesterday was gorgeous.

Yesterday was very productive and I didn't make a single PIE. After Bible Study, I headed down to the mall for Verizon. We've learned the hard way to only go to the actual Verizon stores and not those knock offs. Had a very nice young man. I took a tiny step up in the world. I got a phone with a keyboard to type my texts. Still don't have the need or capability for a data plan. As soon as Becca's phone gets off our plan, we'll only be paying $50/mo. Big difference. Came home and finished baking off the 2 last COOKIE doughs. Payed bills, then started working on getting the Christmas goodie letters & lists ready to mail today. The bills & these letters were two bill items looming over me, so I feel good. Took Blaise to the library. I love that he wants to read. He's into Mine Craft and monsters. I pick up other "nice" books for him to read. Those are the books he & I sit and read together.

This morning I'm going to run in town to the bank and then to the hospital to pick up the ultra sound disc to take to my surgeon next week. Then it's home to bake....surprise, surprise. Think I'll make two carrot cakes since I don't have any in the freezer. I'm sure they'll be calling for one this weekend. Then I have 4 more kinds of cookies I want to mix up and bake. Pumpkin rolls are on my baking list somewhere in the next 10 days. Next week is pretty full of other things besides baking. Waiting to hear from the ladies in town to see if they are going to order some different kinds of pies this weekend.

I saw Pat posted what she made for dinner last night on FB. I have put out a msg to her to let her know we were worried.

Have a good one all!

Comment

Good Morning .

hey, Good news, David and KD Kat let me sleep until 6am!!!!!...miracles can happen.

SAssyG.. love that picture...so sweet.. and hugs to you ..hope you are doing ok..

NOW Sharon,, breath deep, and relax ... if you forgot something. it won't make any difference. just see family and enjoy.. if plans need changed. so be it.. you are going to be with your Family... ( gentle reminder of stuff you already know.. but born nags can't help themselves. yes,I am the older sister )

Pat.. the news on Erin is wonderful.... the girl is maturing!.. the struggle ain't over yet... but light at the end of the tunnel?.

HI Elaine. Give John a Hi from David ...( does John sleep a lot ,David dozes in chair through the day , a lot). the love of cooking never reached me.. even baking no longer has any appeal.... might just be the loss of energy.. cooking, baking takes a lot of that.

Bethina... busy lady.. and it's good to be busy.

will be back to read after you all have posted.. ~~~

ps. Hi Niece...
              Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

• Pat B
                Pat B commented
                Editing a comment
                Aunt Maye - you got that right. That tiny little pinpoint light at the end of the tunnel is beginning to get a wee bit larger!

• sassygirl01
                sassygirl01 commented
                Editing a comment
                Maye,thank-you..I am doing fine..
                I was not morning person..lol..I had early wake up call..(Kitty)
                I did that pic for Hurricane Matthew..Who lost there lives...

Good morning.

Thank goodness I don't live on the east coast of the 4 states that are in the hurricane path. I'd be stir crazy about what to do or where to go. The forecast for us is sunny skies for the next week.

Well I got those 3 mounds of dirt moved, and got my holding tank emptied. Of course I started on the mound of dirt preventing me from getting to the camper controls. When my back needed a rest, I'd either mow or start putting the anchors in the ground. Got 2 of the 3 in the ground. Left 1 to do after Bryan sees the length that are actually in the ground. I figure I can get that 3rd one in while he is jacking up the camper to put it on building blocks. Then we will need to measure how long we will need the cables to tie the camper down.

When I got home Tuesday, I went to the country to help mow. After finishing that mowing, I came home and mowed my own yard. I thought I was going to have to call a tow truck to get me up out of the bed Wednesday morning. Not long after going to bed, I had a pinched nerve in my left groin area. Took about 20 min. to get that nerve straightened out then the right leg decided it had to get in the act. It didn't take as long to get that nerve straightened out. Those are so much more painful than a charlie horse. I will be so glad when medicare approves this new surgery.

Took it relative easy yesterday. Took the bug remains off the car then took it to the carwash. Did the weed-eating and that is about all I did. Did do a fire in my fire-pit and just relaxed for the rest of the day. Today the old back is sore, but not hurting.

Today...nothing planned as of yet. To all, have a good day.
              Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

• Paula A
                Paula A commented
                Editing a comment
                I hope you have a cape to wear as you go about your Super Woman job!
                Seriously, you and Donna absolutely amaze me!

• cookielady
                cookielady commented
                Editing a comment
                I feel like a slug compared to you. How do you do it all? I guess because I hate outside work, this all seems monumental to me. Yes, you definitely need a cape!

It is a good, although, dark morning here. Praying for all those in the path of Matthew. My brother had his pregnant daughter and her husband, and his in-laws at his house, waiting out the storm. The Orlando house. Disney World is closed through today and hopefully, able to re-open for Sharon and allthe rest who planned their vacation. My brother said owners of vacation rental homes were opening them up free to people who had to get away from the storm. His wife, my SIL, is out in Utah where my other niece lives and will be there until the 24th.
              We talked on FaceTime with the daddy and saw baby Chloe. She is absolutely adorably cute! Mama was off camera using the breast pump. It was their second day of trying to nurse Chloe and progress was being made.
              I cleaned out a couple of tubs in my shed yesterday. One of them was easy, just orange extension cords and a regular ext. cord. Not even sure why we had them. The other turned out to be one Spencer packed and left here when they moved to Japan either right after the got married (they went for 18 months) or 14 years ago when they moved with Intel...anyway, a quick text to them and now Good Will will receive a bunch of stuff. The weather was great and all the kids happy, so it all worked together.
              We are invited to one of Becky's good friend's house for dinner tomorrow and will be taking a dessert (pumpkin roll) and some side. I need to find out what her main course is to know what side or salad to take.
              After daycare I am going to my favorite shop, House of Design, to get a few more autumn garlands or some thing for the mantel. My friend who got a part time job, for the holidays, works today and I want to go when she is there. She has been on awhile, but I wanted to hold back while she is learning the routine and wait. The shop owner knows us both really well from all the classes we have taken over the years. Decades of shopping there, for me.
              Love seeing what all you are making, doing and thinking!
              Keep the positivity going!

Comment

OMG, jostoy, you just exhausted me by reading your post. I slept in and relaxed and glumped over coffee and then I have to read what you and cookie do. Puts me to shame! Jon grilled last night so supper was easy for me. I did not cook for so many years and now feeding a family again. I hated cooking back when i was young and here i go again with no improvement in my skills....remember I had the husband that would wander down to Tinkers looking for leftovers. Tonight I have to try again to put something edible on the table. It'll be a surprise because I have no thoughts at all. Still trying to decide if we should go to Sikeston tomorrow since there is no plant tour. I know,I had better make a decision soon since we have to leave early tomorrow. Hopefully Scott will get in touch and make the decision for me today. Sierra coming by this afternoon for that damn econ paper. I KNOW she has not started it. Andrew has early dismissal today and no school Monday for Columbus Day but I doubt he will be here Monday...I think he said he was going to work with his mom. I have nothing going on today. Did get my bed changed and laundry is caught up. Just need to decide what i am doing this weekend. I haven't heard any morning news about the hurricane but hope it was better than predicted. Take care on your trip Sharon, great news on Erin Pat! Sunny so I am assuming still warm out here. Enjoy your Friday!

Comment

Good morning, everyone.
                  The house feels chilly this morning, but at 6:30a it's 59° outside, (forecasted to reach 93° today). 🌵
                  Today I need to go to Drapers & Damon's to pick up that overpriced duster I'd ordered. They said it would be there in a week, but it's much closer to 2 weeks for the stupid delivery. But the saleswoman was a bit ditzy, and I half expected as much. I just hope it fits. Because one week from today we are leaving; I can't wait another 2 weeks for it. 😝
                  I used to love cooking. But since the kids left home, it's not as appealing. I have yet to catch on to cooking for just 2 of us.
                  ToH used to have a magazine Cooking for Two, but it seems to have been short lived. Now it's just an occasional recipe in their regular magazine. Anyway I don't get offers to buy that one any more, and it doesn't seem to be in the magazine stands.
                  So there's nothing pressing to be done today after my D&D pickup. I did find more stickers to put onto rocks for Halloween. Some glow-in-the-dark ones, too. I need to pick up an acrylic finishing spray for them.

Sharon, I didn't expect to see you this morning. Have a safe and happy trip. Geez, it's been about 35 years since we've been to Disney. No excuse to go at this point...the younger great-grands, well, the autistic girl can't be in crowds, and my son's grands are frighteningly intolerable (that's the boys; the girls are just never in touch). Oh well.

Pat, Erin seems to have made good progress and decisions. Hope Matthew doesn't move to pay you guys a surprise visit. The weather guy last night wasn't very sure just what the storm was going to do.

Well, guess I'll get my breakfast and see how today goes.

Have a great day!
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Good Morning, 'there is a nip in the air, but sun is shining bright. Kids have a 4 day weekend here so I'm sure that Griffin will get someone to take us over the Savanah's to get yarn. Also will have him help me get the 2 big items I want to sell to where I can take pictures of them. Can't believe that at 15 he is this persistant at the crocheting. Problem is he wants to take on bigger projects than he has the skill for, I did tell him last night that he has to count stitches and have the same number on each row, he isn't to happy about that, He keeps talking about a hat, told him that you really have to keep track of stitches with a hat and doing that in a circle takes attention to details.

I hope everything is cleared up and Disney is open the day Boff and her family are there.

Comment

• maxie
                      maxie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Counting titches is the hardest and I still have trouble with a circle. My grandmother tried to teach me many years ago when I was young and I lost interest with the 'details'...later when I was a working girl the woman training me crocheted during breaks and lunch. She is the one who finally taught me to do it. I had the basics but the patience came later. I mainly did afghans but gave it up when my thumbs got so sore. Good for you having the patience and him the fortitude.

• cookielady
                      cookielady commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've tried many many times to crochet afghans and completed them, but mine are ALWAYS crooked. I guess I don't count well enough and my sides look terrible. Now ask me to do counted cross stitch...I was very good at that, but due to eyes, I can't do that anymore.

I've enjoyed crocheting for quite a while...a friend taught me when I was 19. I hate counting, but I learned to find the end of the row without having to count. Ive done round and square pot holders/dishwashing cloths, and such, which I still use to separate the pots and pans. I've learned to do circles (ergo, hats and dolls), and I do them freehand because I keep losing my patterns somehow. I've made all my kids and my grands blankets and hats and scarves. Some with patterns, some easy granny's, and many just freehand and using up yarns.

I find if you're not too crooked with the blankets, you can disguise the missing last stitches here and there by putting an edging around the blanket. Don't forget, the corner points get 3 stitches.

Now, I think knitting comes out more beautifully, but I've tried knitting and find running "buttonholes" thought my stitches. So I gave up on that. And I don't think I'd be able to do knitting in freehand stitches with a good outcome. Darby Rose, I think, was a top notch knitter. (Anybody still in touch with her?)
                    Last edited by JoGee; 10-07-2016, 01:46 PM.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
                    X