Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Chemo Round ....... Wait 4 It

Courtesy of Ellis ~~~

Well, Grandma/Mom/Aunt/Jo is taking a short detour. Just as we were getting ready to do Round 4 and then celebrate the halfway point, mommy nature threw another monkey-wrench in the works. Her blood test results show lowered white cell, platelet, and red cell counts. Doing another round of chemo given those results could aggravate the bone marrow problem since the chemo tromps on those cells. As Dr Elqusa put it, the risk of her myeloproliferative neoplasm getting worse is currently greater than the risk of a cancer relapse. So, until they complete a decisive bone marrow biopsy, they want to hold up the chemo. The biopsy is scheduled for the sixteenth so we have to wait it out.

The good news is that she can have cold stuff for the next couple of weeks and maybe even indulge in her favorite pastime - shopping.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

((((((Jo)))))) (((((Ellis))))))

John had it done in February, and yes the chemo pulls the numbers down. Hope they can learn something more with this second test. Thinking of you both.

Comment

Hi Ladybug...... Mine seems to be a "game of Catch 22". I had to quit taking the pills that controlled my blood disorder, because it interfered with the Chemo. Now I can't have the Chemo til they see what's causing my blood stats to drop (red cells) or rise (platelets). I had one bone marrow biopsy done already, now the head Oncologist wants to gather my bone marrow specimen by himself. I will say that the Cancer Oncologist was very good at explaining things..... Why this and why that. He made good sense.
      Yet, later I'm thinking about the aspects of what's going on, I see a scary side to it as well. It's what's confusing the doctors. And wonder if I actually will be a survivor.
      Oh well, I've got to get my mindset back on track. If anything, my family depends on seeing my inner strength through thick and thin. E tells everyone how strong I am. My girls let me know that they depend on seeing my strength, so they feel they can do the same in life's challenges. (My son, not so much.) I can't let my family down, can I ?

Well, I've got to find some paperwork and see about getting my blood-thinning pills.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

A little ice cream therapy?

Comment

Oh yeah. Right now I'm big on limeade bars!
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Jo so sorry, things just never seem to end for you....I know from experience just how bad a person wants to just feel good, even if only a few days together sometimes...You are indeed fortunate to have such a loving, good natured, intelligent hubby by your side...think of you often and keep you in my prayers....keep the faith...
            Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, and leave the rest to God

Comment

Jo, you will get your mindset back, people who work on the cancer wards all say that the persons mindset is a big part of surviving.

Comment

OK, I think I've digested the facts now. Nonetheless, it seems like Medical Limbo for now, until they get the bone marrow biopsy done and analyzed.
                The Cancer is essentially gone now, we are told.
                The Blood Disorder may be getting worse (that is what the biopsy will confirm or deny.
                Meanwhile I am not taking the meds for either one. Seems the meds for one condition aggregate the other, and vise versa.

Yesterday I saw my PCP. Got a lengthy talk/description of diabetes 2, broken down to simplify understanding. (Ellis thought it was the "idiot treatment" and was starting to feel angry....but it didn't bother me. But we are signed up for a diabetes lecture, either next week or the one after.)
                However, after I described what's going on with my Oncology problems, he decided to wait and see what the biopsy revealed, too, before trying any treatments. Just in case I don't really have diabetes, and am just having all these wild blood stat numbers dropping because my bone marrow isn't handling things very well. (I don't seem to have any of the diabetes symptoms, other than blood stats.)
                So, for the next 2 weeks it's a no-nothing thing for me on all counts.

E says I need to get out more. He was looking up movies we can go to. Places to visit. Other things to do.
                He didn't realize the funk that had hit me, and he's determined to get me to think of other things instead.
                The good news is that I awoke this morning without that funk.
                I'm "me" again, and have a clearer view of things. I can handle it again.

Thank you Sharon & Darla for your input and support.
                Paula, I did pick up some small cartons of lemon sorbet, and chocolate cherry amaretto ice creams (and southern butter pecan for E). 😆
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

((Jo and Ellis)) I have no understanding of your condition and cannot imagine what you are going through but know you are very determined and so fortunate to have such a wonderful husband. Guess you are entitled to a down day or two but thank goodness for ice cream, knowledgeable doctors and loving husbands!

Comment

The cancer aside, because they believe the last remaining cancer cell is done for. That's a good thing. I don't know whether they'll have me finish the chemo treatment or simply say I'm cancer free now.
                    The blood disorder comes from my bone marrow. The marrow creates "precursors" of red, white and platelet cells.....that's a lot of blood cells that can cause clotting. But recently, my white and platelet cells are high, but red cells have hit bottom....I'm not getting much at all and on the chart or graph, it looks like it's dropped to next to nothing.
                    That's why the Oncologist-Hematologist needs a more generous sample of the bone marrow for biopsy. He has to figure out what's really going on. I'm talking about the hospital's top Oncologist team working together to figure it out.
                    For my PCP, I made him realize that he can easily get a false reading for the diabetes because of the wacky balance of blood that shows in the testing. He's got me on hold til November, now.
                    So I'm on hold for the next two weeks, til the head Oncologist returns from his current travels to heaven-knows-where, and get to the biopsy.

The blood condition began in late 1989. It was likely caused by the elders of my church, who had my office and supplies and equipment (including desk and chair) sprayed with commercial bug killer......lightly at first, but gradually heavier til I quit. I was exposed to the poisons for 4-5 months or so. When the pastor wouldn't get them to stop (he said he just hated confrontations) is when I quit. But there was no proof that it was done. The dermatologist would not testify against a church that I had contact with poisons. Why did the elders do this? Because I was generous with my tithes, and they figured I should simply provide the churches office budget as well. I said no! I also ran the religious education committee, but when I quit they just yelled at me for it.....no nice words of any kind. I decided God was too ashamed to be in that church anyway.

Maxie, I hope this clears up what I've been going through, medically.
                    Since 1989 I've been treated by a lot of good doctors, some not so good ones too. My case was studied by John's HOPKINS AND Mayo hospitals from east coast to west coast. Seems when they check me for one thing, they find another that started also. My kidneys and liver are still in tact, but closely watched through lab tests.
                    Last edited by JoGee; 08-12-2016, 11:25 AM.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X