January 22, Thursday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 22, Thursday

Yesterday we took a road trip and discovered the home of Marjorie Kennan Rawlings at the MKR Historic State Park in Hawthorne, FL. She is a famous American author who wrote "The Yearling", "Cross Creek" and many other books and short stories.

The house is only open for tours Thursday-Sunday, but we got to peek in the windows and look at everything outside. They have a barn, workshop, her house, her tenant house, the garden, the outhouse, the orange and tangerine grove, walking trails, and chicken house, complete with live chickens and a rooster.

I loved it all and the park ranger just happened to be there and she told us we could have all the tangerines we wanted, so we brought home a bag full. One of the volunteers was hoeing the garden and they had on old fashioned aprons and it just took me back to my grandmothers place.

We also visited a winery in that same area, Island Grove Winery, which grows blueberries and blackberries to produce their wine. We took the tour and did the tastings and bought 2 bottles of their finest. Loved it. We passed the Antioch Cemetery where Marjorie and her husband are both buried, but didn't have time to stop.

Today is trash day and I'm going trash picking. Have a great day!
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Morning all

Karlin - Thanks for sharing about Marjorie Kennan Rawlings - I remember watching the movie "The Yearling" and crying my eyes out as a kid. It's a good glimpse into what Old Florida really looked like.

About to get into the kitchen and put together Chicken Tetrazzini for tonight's supper. That way Chris can just pop it into the oven when I'm on my way home from work.

Big time problems with our Comcast ever since we got it. We have had the technician here THREE times in the past week and are still having trouble. We have decided to go back to Wow (formerly Knology). We were watching the second Hobbit movie on demand last night and in the middle of it the stupid service went out. OMG! I almost went ballistic!

So I'm off to the kitchen and then onward. Y'all have a good 'un!
    The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

good Morning

Looks like we have been updated.!..... if so, thanks Nightstorm!....

I had to log in.. did you?.

busy morning coming up... my lady with three children lessons. are returning this morning.... they have been off ( except for one lesson in Dec) since last May... I will be starting the youngest one all over...I should have turned them down on returning. but we will see if they do any better .. if in a couple months ,they are still not progressing I will just tell Momma they need a different type of teacher..

Karlin , you reminded me of my ex-daughter in law... she loved to go trash picking .she lived in residental part of big city and
      loved to restore furniture and knick knacks..

Hi pat...I better get my dinner started to... want to make a soup..of some sort.

Hi Paula and Donna.
      Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Good Morning.

karlinann, now that sounds like a great way to spend a day. Wonderful! I love your description of it all.

Pat, Chicken Tetrazzini is one of my favorites. LOVE it! Speaking of food, we went to Cracker Barrel yesterday and I had trout - delicious! I grew up on trout, but you can't find one in Texas to save your life - except at CB.

Janet, have we been upgraded? Or it is happening tomorrow? Perhaps I misunderstood the notice. Whatever, sounds like we are good to go.

Well, talk about rain. Already had 10 hours of it, and from the looks of radar, we'll be getting soaked all day.

Hope everyone has a very good day. Hugs

Comment

Good morning...work was ok yesterday...should be the same today I can only hope..We get new assigned seats at work today...they had been kind of just letting us sit where ever well that isn't working so they are reassigning...not saying if they have moved everyone or not...I am kinda hoping they left my table alone...we all 3 get along just fine..and it works most of time because only one of the people at my table is in small parts all the time.

Will go to my parents afterwork today to pick up my 2 pairs of sweats that mom is shortening for me...not sure what else this evening will bring.

Comment

As I read the notice, the upgrade will be done sometime tomorrow evening. The board will be down until the upgrade is finished.
            Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Good morning all!

What a nice day you had, Karlinann! As a child I had a beautifully illustrated book of The Yearling which my daughter now has.

Yes, it's tomorrow we will be updated. I'm sure I read the notice correctly.

It is colder today so I shall have to bundle up more. Not sure what else I'll be doing. Have just finished doing laundry so that is done for a few days.

Have a good day all!

Comment

Good Morning, if I understood the notice the board upgrade starts at 8pm tomorrow night and ends sometime Saturday, depending on how long it takes. Today would have been my Mom's 81st birthday.

karlinann, I can't remember the name of the town in MO (not real far from Springfield) where they have the house of Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House Books) that you can tour. When Almonzo built the house he made everything down to her level so she wouldn't have to use a stool to reach. She was very short. All of my family LOVE the Little House books. The 3rd grade teachers in our school read them to each class every year. After Lunch and recess we had quiet time. Couldn't wait to see what was going to happen with Laura and Mary. I remember checking them out of the library at school and bringing them home for Mom to read. We ended up buying her the boxed set and she then read them to the grandkids at night when they stayed over. Funny thing when my kids were little I was sitting in the recliner at Mom's reading one of them to them, realized that they were both asleep so stopped reading out loud, my younger brother was watching football and suddenly he said "Hey I was listening to that" so had to finish a chapter or 2 for the 15 year old.

Another great place to visit if you like to go back in time is http://www.stuhrmuseum.org/about-stuhr-museum/
                Last edited by determined; 01-22-2015, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Good morning.
                  Upgraded? I didn't receive any notice of it.
                  Busy morning ahead. Dr's appointment to follow lab draws early this morning. Should prove interesting, at the very least.
                  I'm just full of medication side-effects this morning. But it probably won't last til my appointment. Oh. He will hear about it!

The latest word on fasting labs....it doesn't make a whole lot of difference whether you fast or not. But I need food with my meds anyway.

I have no idea what the rest of the day will be like. We might shop a bit, I need to replace some vitamins.
                  Speaking of shopping....we went to Safeway the other day, and I found some of those oranges Elaine had mentioned. So I bought a bag full, and am SO glad that I did. Juicy and sweet......and the color is like Ruby Grapefruit inside. I was hesitant at first, because once I bought a blood orange, and it was terribly bitter. But this sure wasn't, in the least, like a blood orange. Yes, I will buy these any time they're available. Thanks, Elaine!!!!!

Well, I need breakfast and pills.
                  Have a great day.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

good morning! I bought some, too. The kids were a little hesitant about the color, but I was eating one and they know that means it has to be good
                    I love going to historic homes. We visited the home of Nathaniel Hawthorne, the house of the seven gables, in Mass. It was Christmas time and the decorations were all authentic to the time period. And all the docents had a specific identity they were portraying and spoke to you as that person would have answered your questions.
                    That was so interesting to hear, karlinann.
                    I don't have much out of the ordinary planned today. Even an ordinary lunch: chicken nuggets, green bean and applesauce. The kids will love it, but it isn't enough to get me excited.
                    Jo, with all the information you have to tell your doctor, he has to be impressed and hopefully, will realize his adjustments haven't been doing a good job. Sometimes, we got more helpful insights into Gary's meds from our pharmacist...and tv shows.
                    Ok, I saw the post about the board being updated and will wait it out.
                    Have a good day, all. Pat, I hope the cable gets taken care of fast...So frustrating!
                    Maye, you sound all better! Maybe a little pep talk with the girls before the lesson starts? Choice and Accountability. It has to be real to them.
                    Ok, I am really going now. Hope all goes well with work, lessons, tvs, trash picking and cattle!

Comment

Good morning, all. Still no rain in sight here and Elaine gets 10 hours. What's wrong with this picture? The weather report yesterday showed rain expected next Wed. and Thur. but it has changed to nothing.

Dr. appointment today for follow-up on the back incident. I'm fine now but keep forgetting to call for an appointment with another Dr. That they want me to see.

Tues, night I made a beef pot roast with potatoes and carrots. Meat was rather tough and dry as it had no fat to amount to anything. Last night I diced some of everything together and added some green peas for color; mixed with the gravy and reheated it. Much better that way. The gravy was delicious by the way.

Well, that's my world. Pray for rain in CA, please.
                      xed it w

Comment

JO, the information should of been at the top of your screen with a yellow background when you checked in. After you posted it will disappear. If you want to see it check back in.

Comment

Thanks, Nalani. I didn't see any yellow highlight when I checked in this morning. I just got home from the doc visit, and saw it when I checked back just now.
                          My iPad needs Geritol or something. Yesterday DD sent a message to both E and me. He got his right away (on his iPad), but mine came in this morning. Go figure. I probably need to go clean out old messages!
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
                          X