Saturday, January 16th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday, January 16th

Mornin' Peeps. I have nothing exciting to report from my neck of the woods. I will check in later today to get the scoop. Have an awesome day.
    "Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Morning! Allegedly we get snow today. Or tomorrow. I'd rather we didn't get any at all!

Comment

Good Morning.

Well, I'm always reporting that nothing happens around here, but things changed yesterday.

When our nephew, Byron, arrived to check on his cattle, he told us that there were 10 cows in the road. Neighbors on all 3 sides of us have cows, and we all sort of know what everyone's herd looks like. Byron thought they could possibly belong to our neighbor to the north. Byron called and he (Wayne) was at the hospital because his wife had had a baby 30 minutes beforehand. When Byron described the cows to Wayne, Wayne knew they weren't his, and since cows always return to the place they started, Byron dropped the problem and so did we.

Just at dusk someone banged on our front door. Boom! Boom! Boom! We have a doorbell, so this alarmed me. I looked out, and it was a policeman. Someone had called the police. By this time the cows were in our backyard. We called Byron and he explained to the policeman about what he knew. Well, the policeman said we just couldn't let them wander and we needed to try to get them off the road and behind a fence. Byron came back with his hired hand. I called the neighbor to the south of us , and he came over (not his); John went out to join in, and so we ended up with 4 men, 1 policeman, and 10 cows. The goal was to drive them into our corral and wait until the owner showed up looking for them.

If you don't know anything about cows, they are gentle creatures and pretty easy to handle until they get alarmed. Normally opening a gate and walking quietly behind them gets them to where you want them. I wasn't out there, so I didn't see it all unfold, but when it was all over, Byron's truck was dented, Don was run over by one and had a bloody nose, cows tore down 2 posts and 3 sections of fence. In all of our years dealing with stray cattle, none of them have ever been frightened to the point of denting a truck or running through a plank fence.

By now it is pitch dark and no way to fix a fence, so they used 4 tractors to block the opening and everybody went home. So today fence repair takes place. I won't be here. I am keeping the museum open.

Hope you all have a good day. Hugs ~ ~ ~
      Last edited by ladyebug; 01-17-2015, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Good gracious, Elaine - an exciting day for sure.

Morning all - I went to bed early last night. Simply overwhelmed by hearing the news that an old friend was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and given 2-3 months to live. A vivacious, energetic, and full-of-personality guy. Made me sob. Why does it seem that only the good ones are taken early?

Today I will roast a chicken and make mashed taters & gravy to go with. Possibly Brussels sprouts and homemade rolls too. And since I haven't baked a single sweet item since we moved in, will try to make a cake of some sort. Thinking chocolate is ALWAYS the right choice.

Y'all have a good 'un.
        The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

Good morning unsure why I am up so early! Will go back to sleep shortly for a bit then do some laundry....meeting a friend and her two boys to see the Padddington Bear movie...I think it will be cute...origonally another friend was supposed to go as well as her boyfriend but both have backed out.

I don't really have much news on granny other than she is still in the hospital...mom is headed there today to see if she can get some answers from the doctors. It is looking to me like granny may have to go back into rehab for a bit...which could actually be good for her.

Comment

Good Morning, nothing new here.

Elaine, your story brought back memories, have herded many a cow in my life. My brother had just bought a brand new car one time and our cows were used to being herded with whatever Daddy was driving at the time, anyhow Brother saw they were out when he got home and decided that he would just drive out across the field and put them in. Trouble with that is Daddy had rented a Bull who didn't understand the concept. As soon as Rick got close it charged leaving a huge dent in his brand new car. When you find the owners of the cows you know you can turn any and all repair and medical (if needed) bills into their insurance.

Comment

Good Morning

finally beginning to feel like a real person again.....still coughing but that will linger for weeks... now to stay clear of all other coughers and germ carriers...

16 degrees .supposed to go to 40 with sunshine later today.... Glory Be!.... I may even go to the Library!
              I truly HATE winter!..

Laughed my head off at the herd of cows Elaine... been there ,done that ... when the cows at the farm were in the far field ,sister and I were sent to fetch them for evening milking.. country road. little traffic. so cows strolled in .. until the got to the barnyard gate... and being slightly stupid creatures.. if the lead cow strolled on by without turning in.. was my job to get in front of them and,waving arms and yelling .. to turn them around ...sisters job was to keep them from going back out the road.. mostly one older cow who wanted milked would turn in and the rest followed. I Hated going for the cows... but one does not say that out loud to your Dad or Grandfather...Elaine, they did some major damage. they must have been really frightened.

Hi all .. be back later...cake in over, ready to come out.
              Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Elaine, think I'd like to report "nothing going on in my area" opposed to what you went through last night. I just wonder why the policeman thought it was your "duty" to corral those creatures when they didn't belong to you.
                Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.

Comment

Good morning.
                  I've been up since 6:30a; I've been reading all the posts and it's almost 7 now. About time to check if the paper is here yet.
                  Still pretty dark out there.
                  Elaine, that's quite a bit of excitement. All I know about cows is that they are big, and provide our milk and burgers/steaks.
                  I'm a city-bred girl.
                  Nothin' much happening here. I'm going to try to get E out for a walk after he gets up. Yesterday he slept til 10.
                  OH.....TODAY IS THE 17TH.......the date is wrong on this posting. Can someone fix it?

Have a great day, everyone.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Good morning!

Elaine, that was definitely exciting. lol I wonder what spooked them so much? Our cows didn't get out too much but weren't too hard to get back in. Except....I remember this calf got out in the field and was the orneriest thing I ever saw. Mom and my step-dad were at work and I was home in charge of my sisters. I chased that little sucker all over the place! If I remember correctly, he eventually went in on his own.

Maye, so good to hear that you are feeling better. It's been a long haul for you.

Nothing of any import has been going on in my neck of the woods. Just work, work, and did I say work? Seems like a vicious cycle at times. I'm looking forward to March when I can hopefully take a few days of vacation.

Just to keep everyone updated, the check has cleared my bank. I'm waiting to hear from NightStorm that all is a go on his end.

Have a great day all!

((((((((((((((((((((((Rounders)))))))))))))))))

Comment

Good morning all!

I was wondering too why the police thought the cows were your problem. We used to have problems with wild cows in Hana. They sure can make a mess of things. Hope you find the owner and the owner gets them where they should be and fixes the damage to the truck and fence posts.

Will work on files I guess today. Boring work but I have to whittle them down.

Have a good day all!

Comment

Same old stuff here. Need to go to Walmart today or tomorrow. Will call Joyce later to see which is better for her.

Cow conversation reminded me. I loved to bring the cows home but I didn't have to do it often as the cows usually came in on their own. If my grandfather was late they let us know about it.

About all for now. Take care.

Comment

Elaine, what an exciting time! That door pounding would have got my heart rate going! I will be sharing your story with some of my cattle friends.
                          I am going to Home Depot to compare some dishwashers. Sears has a Bosch on sale. I want to see what else is out there.
                          Our little dog is getting better. The vet is very happy with how her eye is healing. She does not like her cone, but needs it a bit longer.
                          Lisa, the pictures are wonderful! The water color is phenomenal!
                          I am off to shopping and errands. Everyone, take care!

Comment

Working...
                          X