Paula

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paula

I am a big True Crime buff, anyhow had forgotten that the "Girl In The Box" case took place in Red Bluff. I'm thinking the name of the book was "Perfect Victim". Man and wife had picked up a girl hitchhiking and kept her hostage for many years. Was wondering if you remembered the case.

Oh, yes! One of my friends lived two houses away! Other friends attended TOPS with his wife!
    It has been in our news a lot because Caneron Hooker is possibly due for parole on some updated laws.
    I can't see my keyboard, but his name is Cameron hooker. His parents live around the county and used to enter his drawings in the spart exhibit in the fair. M
    The victim, Colleen Stan, was in town last week, I think, talking about victim rights.
    If you google her name the article in our paper should come up.
    I am sure I can find it for you later...

Comment

It always awes me as to how some people are able to get into others heads so deep that they can totally control them. Charles Manson was one. Jim Jones is another.

Comment

Kidnapped victims often have -- I think it's called Stockholm Syndrome. -- after being captive for a while. They come to look upon their kidnapper as a God of sorts, who provides them their necessities. It comes on during a near-starvation period, so their brains are kind of addled, and after that it's like a hypnotic effect that takes over. The victims are kept malnourished, so they're easier to control. When rescued, they need psychiatric help as well as proper nourishment to get back on a normal track again.
        Remember Patty Hurst? A "willing victim" of her kidnapper, too.

Scary, isn't it? You might find the perpetrator of such crimes to be very charismatic, likeable, and easily fall under his/her spell.
        Last edited by JoGee; 04-15-2015, 11:28 PM.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Yes Jo that's what this was. I remember in the book the State lawyers explained all of this to the jury because the defense lawyers kept bringing up the fact that she was given some freedom and even held a job, was left alone to babysit the children so she had the chance to get away or call for help. He had her convinced about "The Company" and that some neighborhood men were part of it, so she thought that them simply waving to her was a sign that they were watching her.

We will never know if this was what happened with our friend's daughter or not. When the FBI moved in to arrest the guy she was with she jumped in a car and was killed. For 17 years her family never knew if she was alive or dead, if she left willingly or if he forced her to go with him and now they will never know.

Another tactic these type people use is "we know where your family is and if you misbehave they will be killed"

Comment

Today at 8:30 am PDT the parole hearing was scheduled. I haven't heard anything,meet. Not sure how many are allowed to speak for or against.

Comment

It was very bad, yes Colleen Stan was the victim, but you know this had to cause harm to the 2 daughters

Comment

He was denied parole. Found "unsuitable" for parole!

Comment

Amen ! to the decision..... somewhere deep inside of me I don't think that kind of behavior is able to be changed... as a mother of daughter and granddaughters ... I want him to stay right where he is...
                  Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

I agree with Maye. Totally!
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

You could almost hear a sigh of relief across town when the news reported it. Seriously...

Comment

Working...
                      X