Those wandering cattle, Elaine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those wandering cattle, Elaine?

I was wondering if you ever found the owners of the cattle that were out and you had to take in?
    It is Rodeo week here and that got me to thinking of that story!

Paula, to my knowledge, the cattle are still here. In years past, however, all the gates into the pasture were around the house and we would know if someone came up the driveway. But last year when we had some land cleared, a new entrance was created so that the logging trucks and equipment could get in and out. I don't think that gate is locked and it is far enough away that we would never see anyone.

All that being said, I'll ask our nephew. I had not thought about it until you mentioned it, and now I am curious as well. LOL

Comment

So no brand or tags on them?
      Just curious. Mew went to a county museum and they had displayed all the early brands. Very interesting!

Comment

Paula, I did ask our nephew about the cows, and he did locate the owner.

We have had fencing problems as long as we've had fences, and because of all the rain this year and all of the creeks that run through what everyone calls "bottom land," it has been difficult to keep some of these fences upright. I am no cow expert, but I do know that if they see a way to get to another pasture, they'll take it.

As to branding, I didn't ask. We never branded our cattle. John always felt it was inhumane. Branding is painful as well as frightening. We did tag them, but tags only mean something to the owner, and cows have a way of losing them.

These cattle came from a long way off, and this ranch is huge (several hundred acres and cows), so losing a few was not noticeable. Anyway, end of story for now. Who knows who will show up next.
        There is always a cow out somewhere. LOL
        Last edited by ladyebug; 04-15-2015, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Thanks for asking Paula, I've been wondering about it too.

Yes there always seems to be that one cow in the herd that can spot a week place in the fence. Spent many hours chasing down cows.

Comment

Elaine, one last thought: thank John. I always thought branding was cruel after hearing the calves on my uncle's Charolais ranch.

Comment

Working...
            X