Not so smart.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so smart.

I don't have enough drawers to keep my foil, wax paper, parchment paper, etc. so I keep it on top of the fridge. Yesterday, I needed parchment paper to line a baking sheet. I got out my step ladder stool and got on the first step and reached for the paper that had got pushed to the back. As I went to step down I lost my balance and down I went.
    Luckily, I didn't break anything but got a knot on my forehead and a nasty bruise on my right shin. Worst part was I couldn't get up so I scooted on my fanny, grabbed the phone and scooted to my chair where I thought I could pull myself up. Didn't work called the manager and she came and helped me into my chair. Needless to say I didn't get my soda bread made nor did I go to the pot luck. Nice people brought me a to-go box with my dinner in it.
    I thought I was being careful by not getting on the top step but I stepped down on my right leg and the knee replacement on the right gave out.

Barb, glad you didn't break anything. Now I'm gonna nag, if you get a headache, don't shrug it off, go and get it checked out. As we age the small veins and arteries become thinner and it doesn't take much to cause a bleed. This is why you see a lot of older people with large red bruises, from just bumping into something. Since you can't see these on the scalp they can form and cause pressure on the brain.

Oh and a tip for your foil etc. Get a shoe storage bag from the dollar store and hang it on your pantry (or any closet door) and put them in it, they will be out of the way and still where you can reach them.

Comment

Wow, Barb, so glad you didn'tbreak anything, too. Ice the places that hurt. When I fell last week and banged my knee on the tile I started icing it and it really helped.
      Good idea, determined.

Comment

Darla, thanks for the tip. Better than dragging the step stool out. Paula, I did ice the spot on my shin and it is still very sore but it didn't bruise nearly as badly as it felt like it would. Didn't find the knot on my head till much later but the swelling there is going.

Even as fast as all this happened, I thought as I went down that I was going to break something.

Comment

so glad you are ok! the shoe bag is a good idea. i would never have thought of that.

Comment

Maxie, I saw it on some show, I think it was on one of Rachael Ray's "get organized" ones. They also put one in the shower to hold, shampoo etc.

Comment

Barb.....and where was your cell phone.?... you must keep it in your pocket at all times.. so you can lay there on the floor or whereever and reach someone..!!!!!! sorry you fell...

. but now you know why I gave up all ladders but my kitchen one with the rail across the top... and I hang on the that... have brought down all High up things.. I like the shoe bag...I have one on bedroom door everyday. slippers. shoe. and undies.. put other things in the slots .too.. never though of one in the kitchen.. thanks.

take all the above advice...and stay off ladders!.
              Take it one Day , one step, at a time.. cause that's all we really have.

Comment

Barb, glad you did not do more damage to yourself. You were mighty lucky.

I am so short that even with help I couldn't reach the top of the refrig.

Climbing is nearly a thing of the past for me.

Comment

Good gracious, Barb. Glad you're okay.
                  The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Comment

Wow, Barb. I'm glad to know you're okay after all that. Take care.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Create a beautiful day wherever you go.

Comment

Working...
                    X